Thread: Replacement AGD Pump rods

Replacement AGD Pump rods

I have posted multiple WTB's here and on MCB, I have talked to a couple of airsmiths and cannot seem to find one or get anyone to make one. People have sent me pics with measurements etc, but I really want someone to make me one to the correct specs. Any ideas or suggestions of who would do this or offers?

Not meaning to be rude, but are you sure the specs you were given were not correct? I'd be interested in this as well. I have one pump that gave me some trouble this past weekend. I suspect the pump rod may be part of my troubles. I recall seeing a post somewhere at one point with the specs for the rail milling. Don't recall seeing anything on the rod itself though.

Quote Originally Posted by dboggs79 View Post
    Not meaning to be rude, but are you sure the specs you were given were not correct? I'd be interested in this as well. I have one pump that gave me some trouble this past weekend. I suspect the pump rod may be part of my troubles. I recall seeing a post somewhere at one point with the specs for the rail milling. Don't recall seeing anything on the rod itself though.
    I didnt say the specs werent correct, I have never actually seen the specs, but had someone send me pics of an actual rod next to a ruler etc. Several people have told me to "just make one" but I am not wanting to do so. When speaking with Luke, he said the specs indicate the rods are supposed to be tempered, so I am looking for someone to actually make one to spec. I've looked around for rod stock, but everything I find is either too thin or too thick or too soft. Hoping someone could pop a few out as there seems to be a minor market for them. I might be willing to fund making 5-10 and reselling them if necessary. I also need the pump handle milled as the one I have is blank. Everyone seems to be too busy or not interested right now.

IIRC, Luke mentioned that there isn't any published specs for the rod. What I've found works best is a length of 3mm solid brass rod. It's fairly easy to bend into the correct shape, strong enough to work, and soft enough to not damage the bolt face. You can also get it in stock lengths of 12", so you can cut it for use with an AM/MM length rail, or a RTP length rail (I use the latter, which is why I had to make my own in the first place).

3/32" rod is too flimsy and not strong enough (think, wire coat hanger). 1/8" rod is too thick and won't fit properly in the pump milled channel. In order to find the 3mm size you'll likely have to visit a hobby store rather than a hardware store.

For reference:
    3/32" = 0.09375"
    3mm = 0.11811"
    1/8" = 0.12500"

You can also use steel rod like OEM, of course.

Edit, links for 3mm brass rod: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005WPBAKM or http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s9865.htm
    Link for 3mm 303 steel rod: http://www.mcmaster.com/#1272t12/=nmsjwh

If you don't want to make your own, you can always use that info to give to someone to make them for you.
    Last edited by Justus; 07-15-2013 at 09:59 AM.

I checked my local hobby store and didnt find anything. The brass they had, was hollow and the aluminum was too pliable. I looked at wire coat hangers and various other items I had laying around and none seemed to fit the bill.

The Hobby Lobby in Terre Haute, IN only had tiny diameter brass wire, but there's a hobby/game store in Evansville that stocked the brass rod. I stumbled upon their website awhile back and saw that they had it, and then the next time I was down there I just stopped in. The 3mm I really just grabbed on a hunch, as I was there to pick up 3/32" rod because the 1/8" from my local hardware store was already found to be too big. (Just turned out fortunate that the 3mm is the Goldilocks of the three). They had a lot of model train stuff too, and that's the section I found it in. If there's a store like that closer to you in OH, it's worth a phone call. Ordering online may also be an option, but if it gets bent in shipping it may not work the best.

Not much close to me, its why I really want to find someone that can make it for me.

you can get 1/8" round rod at ACE hardware, home depot, lowes...or what ever hardware store is in your area...i have a piece right now im not gonna use but you would have to bend it yourself. just checked it on a pump rail and fits fine....i actually took a rainman229 pump rod with me to tha hard ware store along with my rail/body...worked fine and its 1/8" SS round rod. bend it, cut it, tune ur pump mag and go play...easy yo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    People have sent me pics with measurements etc, but I really want someone to make me one to the correct specs.
    This.

Don't use 1/8" it is not AGD spec, you may find issues with the milled pump slot if it's was done correctly and to spec.
    Not what anyone wants to hear, but I have planned on doing them, but I'm not currently in a position to set up and do a production run, my plate is a tad full right now.

This.
    That.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Don't use 1/8" it is not AGD spec, you may find issues with the milled pump slot if it's was done correctly and to spec.
    Not what anyone wants to hear, but I have planned on doing them, but I'm not currently in a position to set up and do a production run, my plate is a tad full right now.
    a production run of pump rods? haha...ok.

I didnt say the specs werent correct, I have never actually seen the specs, but had someone send me pics of an actual rod next to a ruler etc. Several people have told me to "just make one" but I am not wanting to do so. When speaking with Luke, he said the specs indicate the rods are supposed to be tempered, so I am looking for someone to actually make one to spec. I've looked around for rod stock, but everything I find is either too thin or too thick or too soft. Hoping someone could pop a few out as there seems to be a minor market for them. I might be willing to fund making 5-10 and reselling them if necessary. I also need the pump handle milled as the one I have is blank. Everyone seems to be too busy or not interested right now.

Here is the AGD Drawing. I got it back when I bought my blem pumpmag parts from AGD's Attic sales. Im assuming since they posted it for everyone back then that its still ok to post now. It seems to have been lost where ever it was origianlly posted.
    Name:  pumpwire-800_zps959df269.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  31.5 KB

I used that drawing as a guard and bent a rod out is a coathanger. Its been 10+ years and its still going. I wouldnt change it for anything.

Anyway you can get the material from McMaster.com http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-rods/=nmvs7i
    You will have to pick the right size & such in order to pull up the correct stuff.
    Last edited by cougar20th; 07-15-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

a production run of pump rods? haha...ok.
    Something humorous about that?

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    Here is the AGD Drawing. I got it back when I bought my blem pumpmag parts from AGD's Attic sales. Im assuming since they posted it for everyone back then that its still ok to post now. It seems to have been lost where ever it was origianlly posted.
    Name:  pumpwire-800_zps959df269.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  31.5 KB

I used that drawing as a guard and bent a rod out is a coathanger. Its been 10+ years and its still going. I wouldnt change it for anything.

Anyway you can get the material from McMaster.com http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-rods/=nmvs7i
    You will have to pick the right size & such in order to pull up the correct stuff.
    If I am reading it correctly, it is calling for using some pretty hard stuff. Would somoene have to heat this up to bend it?

And FTR, I did go out and grab a piece of 1/8" brass rod and IT DOES NOT FIT the pump channel. At least not on the pump handle that I have. With that said, there really is no reason the pump channel couldnt be opened up a bit right?

I also have a RM kit preordered, so this may just go back burner again until someone can actually make a rod or I can find one.

I think Reebs ate paint chips as a kid or something? I definitely think you should prove him wrong and do a small run of these soon.....

If I am reading it correctly, it is calling for using some pretty hard stuff. Would somoene have to heat this up to bend it?
    You are correct. It is hard stuff. As far as if it will bend without heating I do not know. Ive never tryed. Heating it up would help but at the same time the heat starts to mess with the hardening & temper of the part so that would have to be redone.

hell yeah i ate paint chips...wats wrong with that...haha

yup there is.

Production simply means I'm not going to make them with a vice and set of pliers. Each part will have the exact dimensions as the others, I made no mention of preorder, price or minimum to do a run, so, why is that funny?

Production simply means I'm not going to make them with a vice and set of pliers. Each part will have the exact dimensions as the others, I made no mention of preorder, price or minimum to do a run, so, why is that funny?
    uh ok. chillax....i just thought it was funny...i still do..haha

OK, whatever.

Paint chips.

Paint chips.
    lots of paint chips...haha

hey Luke im laughing at the paint chips too big Dawg.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    kind of an old thread, but i have a limited quantity of aftermarket pump rods available; manufactured to AGD's dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    kind of an old thread, but i have a limited quantity of aftermarket pump rods available; manufactured to AGD's dimensions.
    Unfortunately the channel in my pump handle isn't to AGD spec....