Thread: Radios....Who uses them? What kind?

Radios....Who uses them? What kind?

Anyone use radios during scenario/big games? What type?

I have used them for years and love the advantage it gives to communicate without using a fog horn.

My family has ties to ham radios for the last 30yrs and have learned to love kenwood products. We use the various molded ear pieces and truly love them. We use them for both hunting and paintball.

Radios....you guys are showing your age. Now we use smart phones with "radio apps", longer range no cross channel talk. Just attach a simple headset with micro phone. The app I think works best is TiKL.

Quote Originally Posted by kfletch View Post
    Radios....you guys are showing your age. Now we use smart phones with "radio apps", longer range no cross channel talk. Just attach a simple headset with micro phone. The app I think works best is TiKL.
    hmmm, $30 radio or a $200+ smart phone on the field, which can be damaged, lost or worse, stolen. easy decision.

Well I've never had anyone try and pick pocket me on the field.... But as to lost, I suggest pockets that have buttons. Damaged, I use a life proof case on mine. Anyone whos played with the $30 radios in large games can tell you they all use common channels and the cross talk can be frustrating. Also you cant tweet from the field with a radio lol

Quote Originally Posted by kfletch View Post
    I am starting to feel old, but you don't have to remind me. I would have never have thought about using a smart phone w/ap. I can see possible benefits, but also limitations. For me the limitations would probably discourage me from using it. Since you're relying on cell phone service I am assuming, it wouldn't always work for me in paintball or hunting applications. I will have to try it out to update my if ignorance.

Your point concerning limitations of short wave hand radios and cross talk or interference from a open channel were others can snoop or compete with air time. Personally, this has never been an issue for me. With the number of channels, sub channels and privacy settings it's never a issue for me. I think that most people are lazy with there setup and leave it on one of the 1-10 open channels without utilizing sub channels or privacy options. The range is around two miles depending on terrain.

FRS/GMRS are popular and cheap. For the simple, ready to go out of the box variety, I use and recommend the Midland GXT1050's. They come with charging base station and a NiMH pack, but can be run by alkaline AA's if needed. The package also comes with a cheap earpiece/boom mic.

An upgrade, which I also use, is a Puxing 777+ which is fully programmable. I like to use a throat mic with earpiece and PTT button that I got from Dynamic Designs for a good price.

The only problem I've had with either radio is remembering to make sure they're charged the night before.

I've never even thought about using a smartphone with an app. Requiring good cell signal would be a killer in my area.

The Kyocera Milano at Ting was $68, no contract (I think they've stopped offering it, although you could pick up a used Optimus S at that price). Find someone to give you a referral and you get $25 off, bringing it down to $43 (plus usage, which is $6 and a little extra depending on how you manage the plan). Still a little more expensive than a radio, but you can actually use it as a smartphone when you're done. The radio will... pretty much always just be a radio.

Upsides: more compact, bluetooth, GPS, maps, camera, being able to text people, other apps of interest.

But yeah, the downside is the required cell coverage.

I've always considered the real issue to be the mic technology and not the radio. A good mic will probably cost you more than the radio/cell phone itself.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Hell...there's an app for chronograph's. But it requires you know the distance so it sucks. But maybe in the future!

Our team are using motorola XT446 radios for UWL games