Thread: Game Styles

Game Styles

We have one particular ref at our local field that makes up all kinds of games to play beyond the usual centerflag and capture the flag. As of late I think he is stretching too far and integrating was too many rules, and half the time people just don't understand if there is even an objective or what rules they are breaking since he makes things up on the fly.

Field 1 - "Downtown" - consists of a small village with roughly 7 building, a trench system, and various V bunkers and sandbag/rock pile bunkers strewn throughout the area. Heavy wooded area surrounds the village. Flag station in the center and on either side of the village

Field 2 - "The Hill" is a large hill with overhang boxes, a trench system and lots of sandbag/stick built bunkers. The hill is to the back side of the boundary tape and has a trail that circles the bottom of it and a stream running across the front side with a bridge at each end to cross. Flag station on top of the hill, another in the ravine

Field 3 - "Uptown" its a slightly sloped field with bunkers and buildings stretching across the middle of the field and smaller bunkers strewn throughout on the approach. Flag station in the center of the string of building.

We can combine fields for game ideas..

Some of the games we regularly run -

Capture the flag
    Center Flag
    Attack and Defend
    Top Gun ( small teams battle against each other to "detonate" a central building - losing teams have to sing "You've lost that loving feeling"... ref is a Topgun nut )
    Normandy - One team on the Hill, they can move about up to the stream, but not cross. otherwise its a modification of the Attack and defend from the hilltop
    Techmo Football - flag is draped over the tapeline between 2 fields, teams battle to reach the center flag and then push the flag back toward the endzone.
    Oreo Cookie - 2 team have a flag they are trying to place on the center flag station. A small group of players mans the center building fending off both teams
    President - the Pres may or may not be armed - this is usually a by request game for private groups
    Terminator - Player can only be shot in a paper plate we affix to the player
    Gettysburg - Players line up and take turns firing single shots at the other team, each round they take one step closer - repeat process until 1 person standing.
    Unexploded Ordinance - A top secret missle has been dropped somewhere on the field both teams must find this missile and place 3 sticks of dynamite on the missile and hold it for 1 minute to detonate
    Razor Blade - only when turnout is small - you get shot in a limb you cant use it - head or chest shots you are out.
    Zombie Apocalypse - See description Below

Anyone else have any ideas for games that we can incorporate with easy rules but fun gameplay?

Styg
    Last edited by StygShore; 08-09-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: someone mentioned another style we play
    Sometimes It's Good to be EVIL

Those regulars sound fun. The ref should know which games are liked or disliked by the number of "errant" shots that hit him during each game type.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

We play zombie apocalypse

Teams consist of 2 zombies and the rest are humans. If a human gets shot they respawn the zombies side. If a zombie gets shot they respawn on the zombie side. Game ends when humans survive for 10 min, or when there's no more humans.

I lve this game play as people get good really good at strategy and you can see what works and what doesn't. Humans ALWAYS make the mistake of making a good strategy but fail to realise that their strategy is instantly known by the zombies when one of the humans changes teams.

The best strategy for the humans... HIDE! Tell none of your team your strategy and treat them as spies.

The best strategy for zombies... Waste your lives and prepare for running. Cover is for wimps. Rush the humans and get as many kills as possible as fast as possible cause when you're shot, you respawn anyways.
    Last edited by BTAutoMag; 08-07-2013 at 09:57 AM.

I need to make a list of these game types to take with me to my field next time. I always forget, and we revert back to playing either single elimination or center flag station. A couple times we have played Civil War (same as Gettysburg described above).

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post

Teams consist of 2 zombies and the rest are humans. If a human gets shot they respawn the zombies side. If a zombie gets shot they respawn on the zombie side. Game ends when humans survive for 10 min, or when there's no more humans.

I lve this game play as people get good really good at strategy and you can see what works and what doesn't. Humans ALWAYS make the mistake of making a good strategy but fail to realise that their strategy is instantly known by the zombies when one of the humans changes teams.

The best strategy for the humans... HIDE! Tell none of your team your strategy and treat them as spies.

The best strategy for zombies... Waste your lives and prepare for running. Cover is for wimps. Rush the humans and get as many kills as possible as fast as possible cause when you're shot, you respawn anyways.
    we do a zombie big game here that is like that that, except when you are shot, you have 10 seconds to either get up and run to the zombie side, or turn around and shoot the humans around you, turning them into zombies too.

its really fun as a zombie, when you attacking a fort or something, you just gotta make sure you shoot a couple of people in the fort, because if they are hardcore, they will turn around and shoot everyone around them and turn the whole fort.

its also fun because you get to play twice for walking all that distance. and when you turn, you know where all the guys were on your team, so esp in thick woods, it really speeds the game up.

<3 zombie game
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Zombie Game sounds fun. I would probably start out a Zombie or get Zombified on purpose immediately. I never like playing on the side that can only win by running out the clock.

that would be a FAST game at out field

We played a game recently where two teams were made. The ref had an envelope with both black and red cards. Each person was randomly given a card on both teams and told to keep what it was to themselves. Upon the start of the game, those that had red cards took their armbands off and became a third team.

Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    Zombie Game sounds fun. I would probably start out a Zombie or get Zombified on purpose immediately. I never like playing on the side that can only win by running out the clock.
    that would be a FAST game at out field
    the trick, as i suspect would also be the trick in a zombie apocalypse is only play with people you trust.

and sometimes, make sure you have cover against even your own team ....

another nice thing, is that since everyone is switching teams constantly, there isn't as much butt hurt like you get in most big games. god knows paintball players are just giant whiners.

BT. Your making me cry I missed that zombie game up your way a few months back. I'd love to play something like that. Local groups though are either too small a group for it. Or too moody a group for it. Both groups are fun to play with. But there are also advantages to each.

i didnt go to that one either

There is a charity game that we play where there are 5 teams and each team starts at a specified location. There are unique hole punches at each location. You have to travel as a team around a large wooded field. The first team to get all 5 holes punched on their wristband wins. Each team rotates locations for the next game. What makes it fun is the random strategies. some teams don't go for the win, they park and try to spoil other teams chances. Some teams fight it out. Some teams rotate clockwise, some don't. Some teams win and never fire a shot, they get their holes punched and avoid other teams at all costs. It's one of the most fun events that I go to.

Ahhh we have doen that one a few times too, forgot about that one because it has been a whole

Styg

Suggested this game to Friendly Fire in Upton, MA last Sunday. We played it and it was a huge hit. As an added incentive they offered a free pass to the last surviving human. We formatted it so that the humans had to stay inside the tapped off area known as "The Village". The Zombie spawn point was just outside the village but they had full field advantage. This was done to make the game more action packed and prevent someone from just hiding out in the deep woods. Five of us volunteered to start the game as Zombies against 30ish humans. It progressed just like a damn Zombie move. Slowly at first then it snowballed as we began to outnumber the humans.

This was the best part. At the end the village was covered in Zombies. We are walking in with our markers raised shouting "Zombie? Zombie!". My friend finds the last 2 humans in a walled fort at the center of town. A zombie rushes up to the window and shouts surrender. Neither one surrenders or shoots back because they each want to win. In about ten seconds the fort is totally surrounded with barrels sticking in every seam. "Please surrender! We don't want to shoot you at this range.". Finally somebody pulls the trigger. Awesome and hilarious. The refs indicated that will be a regular game from now on.

Video of final 4 mins:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1lFm...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Patron God of Pirates; 08-14-2013 at 03:37 PM.