Thread: 68 Classic Valve Question - What realistic FPS consistency should one expect?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

68 Classic Valve Question - What realistic FPS consistency should one expect?

I'm a little new to the world of mags, and was curious what realistic fps consistency one should be expecting to get out of the default setup: 68 Classic Valve + LVL 7 bolt.

I know there are a several of factors that come into play (gas source, input pressures, paint to barrel match, gun maintenance, etc.), but when everything is setup as correctly as one can achieve in paintball, what have you observed during your user experience with the 68 classic valve?

its all dependent, as you said on several factors. on my 68 I get +-6

Just really depends on paint. I have had days where aside from the hotter first shot I am within +/- 3fps. Other days, I have seen fluctuations of up to 10 FPS.

Shot 10 rounds through my pump a week or two ago. 279-283
    That probably won't ever happen again. It is usually +/- 4 or 5 though.

Does lvl 10 decrease efficiency?

No. Decreases it if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Syko89 View Post
    Does lvl 10 decrease efficiency?
    yes. you are using more air pushing on a greater surface area of the bolt. then if you do engage the L10, you are using a "shot's worth" of air when you don't chop a ball.

now, you can play around with the L10 and an adjustable reg, and you can lessen the decrease. on my classic, i don't know what i did, but somehow i actually increased the shot count. i don't know what deal with the devil i made, or a f***ed up and got it right, so my results will differ from yours.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Red View Post
    I'm a little new to the world of mags, and was curious what realistic fps consistency one should be expecting to get out of the default setup: 68 Classic Valve + LVL 7 bolt.
    as pointed out, the paint has the greatest effect on velocity consistency (barring any issues with the tank / gun regulator). paintballs are not perfectly round nor exactly the same size. they all have a minimum and maximum diameter (ie, all slightly oblong), and very in size within the bag. the more consistent the paint, the more consistent the fps.

i recently tested my automag (10 shots per test, three different tank regs (pmi reactor, ga myth, ninja)) using marballizers that i hand-sorted to be as consistent in size as possible, but they were more out-of-round than usual. i averaged +-15 fps. it was worse than my tippmann a-5 using the same tanks and paintballs (+-14 fps)! i'll have to clean the reg / piston and slap a new reg seat on and test again. i also have another automag i can try out.

*edit*
    so i cleaned the reg on my automag, and installed a new piston o-ring and reg seat just because i could, and got the same results (+-15 fps). my other automag was +-10 fps though. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 11-04-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    i recently tested my automag (10 shots per test, three different tank regs (pmi reactor, ga myth, ninja)) using marballizers that i hand-sorted to be as consistent in size as possible, but they were more out-of-round than usual. i averaged +-15 fps. it was worse than my tippmann a-5 using the same tanks and paintballs (+-14 fps)! i'll have to clean the reg / piston and slap a new reg seat on and test again. i also have another automag i can try out.

*edit*
    so i cleaned the reg on my automag, and installed a new piston o-ring and reg seat just because i could, and got the same results (+-15 fps). my other automag was +-10 fps though. *shrugs*
    The tank regs don't regulate shot to shot consistency on a mag. The mag valve regulator does regulate the air and does have an effect on the consistency. Good tank regs help keep the valve from starving during rapid fire activity.

The barrel inside diameter has a big impact on the consistency when using "out of round" paint.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.