Thread: Can you walk a mouse? Fun little applet for testing ye old trigger finger

Can you walk a mouse? Fun little applet for testing ye old trigger finger

I whipped up a little applet this morning for visualizing your trigger walking. It's obliviously less than ideal but, ergonomics aside a mouse click is a widely used analogue for trigger pull. As you can see by the attached image, I suck at it. But I would love to have others try and share their results.

The green bar represents the left mouse button, the red bar the right. If you see overlapping bars of the same color it is because you didn't fully "get off the trigger". Likewise, when the two color bars overlap it should represent only one shot since with a real trigger you are dealing with only one switch.

Apologies to one button MAC folks, you only get one color.

HOW TO PLAY:
    ENTER - begins a new test/game
    left and right clicks draw bars representing the millisecond time you got on and off the trigger
    keep the cursor in the display area or clicks will not register
    the display area is 1000 pixels wide with each pixel representing one millisecond. So the display is 1 second wide.
    The easiest way that I have found is to start clicking before you hit ENTER

LINK: http://www.needhambowl.com/SunshineGames/mouseWalker/

Known issues:
    Clicks which are pressed before 1 second but released after one second will not display.

I included my source code in a link at the bottom of the page if you would like to look at and/or improve on my methods.

Post screen shots here and share your results.
    Name:  mousewalker.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  9.5 KB

PS - This is a Java applet. You will need a current copy of Java on your machine and a browser that supports playback. You will get a security message when you visit the page. It's perfectly safe I assure you.
    Last edited by Patron God of Pirates; 09-26-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Pretty cool little Java app. I'm not as bad as I thought, though each of the 3 pics attached were from the start of a series of attempts. As my attempts went on, I got progressively worse (fatigue?) The best runs were after taking at least a few seconds break from having my hand tensed and poised on the mouse.

Name:  mouseWalk1.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  9.0 KBName:  mouseWalk2.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  10.7 KBName:  mouseWalk3.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  9.7 KB

Edit: On my Emag (Xmod 1.8) in practice trigger mode, I'm able to hit 10 to 11 consistently, hold 12 for good bits of time, and top out at 13. Of course, it's using a hall effect sensor and not a microswitch.
    Last edited by Justus; 09-26-2013 at 12:04 PM.

I used to have a program my son used. He used the space bar to simply count strokes per second, which naturally knocks out the overlapped taps. I can't remember which one of us wrote it (it was very short). His usual rate on the program and at the field was 14 bps. Mine was 11 bps. I let him test run my pneumag for about a year. I got tired of him using my pneumag chuff-less while I would trip over it regularly (usually while trying to run and shoot). That's when I put electronics in it. Fixed that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    I used to have a program my son used. He used the space bar to simply count strokes per second, which naturally knocks out the overlapped taps. I can't remember which one of us wrote it (it was very short). His usual rate on the program and at the field was 14 bps. Mine was 11 bps. I let him test run my pneumag for about a year. I got tired of him using my pneumag chuff-less while I would trip over it regularly (usually while trying to run and shoot). That's when I put electronics in it. Fixed that problem.
    I just added spacebar. It will render as a blue bar. I started to build this as a stroke counter. I decided I wanted to visualize what was happening. I figured I would need both mouse buttons to show any overlap, turns out (though this might be different mouse to mouse) you don't need to send a release event to send another pressed event (odd). At any rate it means you can try the walking test with just one button if you want.