Thread: Dear People

Dear People

Stop using loctite on air fittings. Thread tape works just as well and doesnt make it impossible to remove after they sit for 10 years.

That is all.

You mean I shouldn't use Green Loctite for my fittings? Come on now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    You mean I shouldn't use Green Loctite for my fittings? Come on now!
    Doesnt even seem to have to be green. In the past week, I have gotten a BL reg where someone must have loctited a plug in and the frigging thing is so stuck that the allen key stripped. On a marker I just got, the only fitting I could get to release was the one on the VASA. Trust me, I learned my lesson a couple of years back when I tried to loctite some set screws on a trigger. Instead of just keeping them from backing out, the loctite set them to the point where the allen key stripped and they are permanently where they are. And this was using blue loctite.
    Last edited by OPBN; 09-03-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Teflon tape is generally our enemy on AGD valve assembly's.
    Blue is for 1/4"-3/4" bolts, it's low strength but it's too much for set screws.
    Probably should have used 222MS (purple) for set screws.
    Loctite 545 Thread Sealer is what I reccomend for air fittings.
    Last edited by luke; 09-03-2013 at 10:28 AM.

I agree, teflon tape is bad for reg seats. You can get a little pack of Locktite that includes small tubes of blue, red and purple. Throw the red away and keep the blue and purple in the gear box. If ever a screw seems too stuck, just add a little heat before stripping out the head.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Teflon tape is generally our enemy on an AGD valve assembly's.
    Blue is for 1/4"-3/4" bolts, it's low strength but it's too much for set screws.
    Probably should have used 222MS (purple) for set screws.
    Loctite 545 Thread Sealer is what I reccomend for air fittings.
    I've not had issues using thread tape, but I'm extra careful. Now thats where its confusing as I could swear I have seen set screws that were dipped in blue loctite...

As far as I'm concerned blue loctite has no place anywhere on a marker, use purple 222MS and you shouldn't run into any problems. Heat will liquefy loctite if you are having problems removing screws, I have used boiling water and a torch, both work.

Teflon tape can become opaque after it has been compressed into the threads of a part. These pieces can end up in your valve assembly and cause problems. When I remove a part with tape sealer I will clean the threads with a pick to make sure all the tape is removed. I started using Loctite 545 instead of the tape and like it.
    Last edited by luke; 09-03-2013 at 04:36 PM.

I don't understand... people don't disassemble their markers every month and clean them?

Quote Originally Posted by halB View Post
    I don't understand... people don't disassemble their markers every month and clean them?
    I don't take air fittings off.

I had a macroline fitting that wouldnt stop leaking.

Bought red loctite... and ended up not using it. I got it to stop leaking with enough teflon tape. I am really glad, because you guys make it sound like it will NEVER come out again if I had used it. Glad im returning it as well.

Would this be that mag you got from me? If so only thing I remember loctighting was that half hazard plug in the vert ASA that was butchered before me. I had to make it functional.

As for loctite colors. Purple? Blue red and green were all I knew of. Trigger set screws I use pipe dope on. Sets up but not solidify.

this is paintball, people will always do stupid things to guns like: baking a gun cause some fool read that it changes the look of anno, torque wrenches on screws loctite everywhere, vice grips on all those matching anno parts, too much grease, not enough lube, can't put on teflon tape, vaseline, cosmoline(or something simliar, i swear i had a sidewinder that was coated in the stuff), and don't get me on electronics. i have pics of someone that somehow grafted an actual piece of solder in between 2 pieces of wire.

you can't stop people for doing damage, its what idiots like to do. it just seems that they take it out on guns we buy.

Medium loc-tite always on all air fittings.
    I never use teflon tape.
    Never had any issues getting them off either.

No need to use 'thread lock' in place of 'thread sealer' just buy the thread sealer>>

^Now I know what to look for, just really glad I didn't use the red stuff on my gun... anywhere... at all.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I have gotten a BL reg where someone must have loctited a plug in and the frigging thing is so stuck that the allen key stripped
    I bought a pair of identical Intimidators (Gen1) with the Volumizer upgrade and Torpedo regulators, and a pair of 2K2 Intimidators with Torpedos. On all four markers, the plugs on the regulator and the frontblock were red loctite'd in place from the factory and required serious work to get them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    I bought a pair of identical Intimidators (Gen1) with the Volumizer upgrade and Torpedo regulators, and a pair of 2K2 Intimidators with Torpedos. On all four markers, the plugs on the regulator and the frontblock were red loctite'd in place from the factory and required serious work to get them out.
    Only thing I can think of is drilling it and trying to use an easy out. What did you do?

Only thing I can think of is drilling it and trying to use an easy out. What did you do?
    I put it in a vice with some soft wood to prevent damage, gripped a long allen key with thick leather gloves, and heated the tool with map gas before twisting (rinse, repeat).

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    No need to use 'thread lock' in place of 'thread sealer' just buy the thread sealer>>

I second this, started using it about a year ago

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    I put it in a vice with some soft wood to prevent damage, gripped a long allen key with thick leather gloves, and heated the tool with map gas before twisting (rinse, repeat).
    Allen key has already skipped. I could try boiling it first.

Edit: I don't have MAP, so tried heating it up with a butane lighter, lol. Ended up drilling the fitting through and then kept going up a bit size until the Easy Out was able to get it moving.
    Last edited by OPBN; 09-03-2013 at 08:13 PM.

It actually takes quite a bit of heat, more than you might think. You have to ease the temperature of the part up slowly if you're using a flame...

OPBN, you've had this happen enough times now I would think you'd have bought that heat gun from Harbor Freight that I mentioned about 6 months ago! lol

I can send you a Super Coupon if you'd like. I think I got one that takes the price down to $9.99

... I could try boiling it first.
    Boiling only gets the part up to 100C. It takes quite a bit higher temperature to break most loctite or similar thread locker.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by opbn View Post
    i don't take air fittings off.

monster!