Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automags: Does it get out of hand real quick?

Automags: Does it get out of hand real quick?

I pretty much, outside of the big $250 jump to x-valve, have my gun where I want it. I have literally been snatching up parts to complete the second mag... franken-mag, if you will. Kind of spiraled out of control fast huh? Anyone else feel this way? I know its not negative, or else why would I buy the parts/etc? I wanted (A) mag, and some-how ALMOST have (2).

ok this is how automags work.

you buy a mag, love it... but you feel that it can be improved. so you buy a better barrel, then a frame, change out the grip, then you make the jump to and xvalve. after that you realise how much the body weighs so you get a ULE.

then you realise you dont just have a mag with spare parts, you have 1 working gun and 1 ALMOST working gun

so you buy parts to finish the second mag and while youre looking you find other interesting mag parts that you want and add them to either gun 1 or 2

until you have 2 working guns and 1 ALMOST working gun

now you really know your automags and you start looking at what the rest of us are doing. so you say "ill build a pnuemag, but I dont wanna cut those frames" so you buy another frame and think that if youre gonna build a real performer then minght as well get other good parts.

this is how mags breed.

I started out with a classic RT. sold it got a 68. then this part changed, that part changed... repeat from top of page.

almost ALL of us have a mag worth around 100$ another worth around 500$ and then another worth around 800$

itll grow until you break down and buy an X-mag or 10

chuff chuff tom

Bt hit the nail on the head. Spare parts = another working mag

i just bought my sixth on ebay, all of mine are classic powerfeeds although the newest one does have a double trigger. way back when i bought my first one used for $300.00 with a stock barrel i had to work a lot of over time to accesorize it, you know better barrel, splash kit parts etc. now i see them on ebay for $100.00 and i have to sit on my hands not to buy them all. if i had the money i could buy enougth of them to use them for rentals at a field. its a disease but a good one.

I describe mags as the lego of the paintball world. Oh look...there is that 1 part I need for that build.

LET IT BEGIN!!!

I still rock a crown point on my 68

On a side note. Post in the meet a and greet about games you're going to. The disease spreads fast when you shoot other maggots guns

I have to limit myself to 4 mags. I'm only missing a valve to make the 5th. But, I resisting. I do need an electric mag. But, I'm resisting the addiction to build another. But, I love that VERT frame...

I feel like the biggest issue with of Automag hoarding is that the platform is so conducive to buying small pieces.

I can't think of another marker with more interchangeable major components (valve, body, rail, frame, vertical asa) nevermind small components (bolts, on/offs, sears and feednecks) or where it's so easy to replace major components. With 20+ years of production there have been many models, but really only three generations and a majority of components are interchangeable between Classics and RT Pros. In 20+ years so many varieties and styles of parts and accessories have been released that there is an almost infinite number of combinations or setups that can be made. Most platforms haven't been around that long, and if they have there are generation gaps when it comes to compatibility, or they haven't remained functionally competitive.

I remember LONG ago there used to be autococker tear down and reassembly contests to see who could do it the fastest... Blindfolded

Only the best could do it.

I'm getting my first cocker soon and it scares the hell out of me.

My mag... Take a part out of a completly different mag and bolt it in place. The only thing you need to remember is to put air in it.

Hello Mags anonymous, # mags is/are not enough.
    I can't stop.
    Flying the unfriendly skies.

BT. Them cocker tear down contests were something else. At some point I'm gonna tear apart this M2 and make a slide trigger cocker out of it. Till then. Its in a case. As for mags. I keep 2. My trusty classic rt with a Ygrip. And a RTP with a minimag body for the wife.

I am literally a valve away from my second mag. The 1st mag is about an X valve away from where I want it, which ironically finishes the second mag at the same time.

I bought an E-mag promising I wouldn't fall into the mag trap. Then I bought someones parts kit so I would have the parts to maintain it, it contained a bolt. That bolt grew a classic valve.... then a frame..... then a rail.... then consumed the warp body I was planning to use for the E-mag...... Beware the magpolcalypse, they cannot be stopped.

And what ever you do NEVER and I mean NEVER work at a machine shop with a mag addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    And what ever you do NEVER and I mean NEVER work at a machine shop with a mag addiction.
    Too late........ Thankfully I'm not a machinist, so I've got to convince someone else that I really really need a warp bracket built to finish Mag #2, and then there's that extra level 7 bolt that came off that valve I bought for the level 10.....

It really is the entire modular aspect. If I happened to be a more technical guy... I'd of done the same for an autococker. They just don't do anything for me. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
    I am literally a valve away from my second mag. The 1st mag is about an X valve away from where I want it, which ironically finishes the second mag at the same time.
    Does this mean the "second" mag will be exactly the one you started with?

Pretty much. Different grip and drop, but everything else will be what I started with. Now for that valve...

Yep, you start with a classic or so, then see all these cool builds so you get more parts. then people make custom parts that you know are gonna be hard to find if you don't pre-order them. So you acquire MORE parts waiting for the order to be filled... then you have an e-mag, just to try it, then build a pneumag because it's fun, and so on.

I'm at the point where I sold ALL my mags (almost all of them I want back) then take a two year break. Suddenly, I trade a marker for a mag because it's a good deal and I'm back in the mag hole.

YOU NEVER FULLY LEAVE THE MAG HOLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Zone Drifter View Post
    Yep, you start with a classic or so, then see all these cool builds so you get more parts. then people make custom parts that you know are gonna be hard to find if you don't pre-order them. So you acquire MORE parts waiting for the order to be filled... then you have an e-mag, just to try it, then build a pneumag because it's fun, and so on.

I'm at the point where I sold ALL my mags (almost all of them I want back) then take a two year break. Suddenly, I trade a marker for a mag because it's a good deal and I'm back in the mag hole.

YOU NEVER FULLY LEAVE THE MAG HOLE.
    Yeah, classics are just too nice for the price. Then there's pump mags and EP (ego) mags. Sydarms. Stock class feed mags. I have a mag just for a ULT setup. Maybe you have a fully ULE mag/CF mag. You might need a sleeper pneu to go with your regular pneu. Maybe a classic pneu, just to confuse the refs. Then there's a build for a zap cheater, g-force frame, XMT body, and/or Luke frame. Then there's different colors and bottle setups. Longbows and tac setups.

The hole goes deeeep.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    ok this is how automags work.

you buy a mag, love it... but you feel that it can be improved. so you buy a better barrel, then a frame, change out the grip, then you make the jump to and xvalve. after that you realise how much the body weighs so you get a ULE.

then you realise you dont just have a mag with spare parts, you have 1 working gun and 1 ALMOST working gun

so you buy parts to finish the second mag and while youre looking you find other interesting mag parts that you want and add them to either gun 1 or 2

until you have 2 working guns and 1 ALMOST working gun

now you really know your automags and you start looking at what the rest of us are doing. so you say "ill build a pnuemag, but I dont wanna cut those frames" so you buy another frame and think that if youre gonna build a real performer then minght as well get other good parts.

this is how mags breed.

I started out with a classic RT. sold it got a 68. then this part changed, that part changed... repeat from top of page.

almost ALL of us have a mag worth around 100$ another worth around 500$ and then another worth around 800$

itll grow until you break down and buy an X-mag or 10

chuff chuff tom
    seen this happen so many times.

this is why when i got back into automags, i stick to RT classics .... no aftermarket = no temptation but plenty of mag goodness
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    seen this happen so many times.

this is why when i got back into automags, i stick to RT classics .... no aftermarket = no temptation but plenty of mag goodness
    lol. My Classic RT now has an XMT body, Lukes mini vert frame, and pneumag conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    lol. My Classic RT now has an XMT body, Lukes mini vert frame, and pneumag conversion.
    true, mine did get a vertical body conversion, lvl 10, and is one of the red smear automags. i have had a few classics ....

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    true, mine did get a vertical body conversion, lvl 10, and is one of the red smear automags. i have had a few classics ....
    I think I saw that in a pic or two. Off topic: IIRC you had two air lines running from the ASA to the gas thru rail. Did you see performance increase from that?

Stealthpanda,

I can feed your problem, and I'm prolly local

Mullica Hill, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    Well, you can get a WHOLE classic RT for the price of just an X-valve! With a level 10 bolt, you have a full blown, modern RT mag. Right?

"The temptation with an RT is less." How about that?

MOTY3
    Post#13 QFT
    Post#15 I feel your pain ...don't work in one but next door to one...but I have learned how to run a mill and a lathe

I really think I'm the odd man out. My main gun. And has been since 97 is a classic RT. It has a Y grip. A shortened feed neck. And a twist lock freak. I love that gun as much today as I did back when. Wife's gun is seeing a few changes. Actually sold a functional classic mag with most of the parts. But its still more function than looks.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    I really think I'm the odd man out. My main gun. And has been since 97 is a classic RT. It has a Y grip. A shortened feed neck. And a twist lock freak. I love that gun as much today as I did back when. Wife's gun is seeing a few changes. Actually sold a functional classic mag with most of the parts. But its still more function than looks.

... Can we ban him?