Thread: automag RT(96) twist lock barrel stuck!!!!

Question automag RT(96) twist lock barrel stuck!!!!

OK my barrel is stuck but not in the usual manner.
    i just got this from a guy at the field and the back part of the barrel (the twist lock part is stuck in there)
    it seams as though the piece with the twist lock is threaded for a barrel tip or something and the person before me had glued in some sort of barrel with no threads.
    the twist lock part is turned all the war so you can just pull it strait out but it wont come... help?

i can post pics if you think they will help (just ask)

Thanks in advance,
    Sam Wheeler

take the body off. barrel will come out. check for damage

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    Yup. Twist lock barrels tend to be pretty hardy though.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    no the little tab that normally holds in the barrel is not the problem, even when the body is off the barrel is still completly wedged

wow, uhh... spinach, lots of spinach

The barrel nubbin is probably bent and caught between the body and the barrel. The only way to get it out will be to take the body off and give the barrel a good pull.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

i cant get a hold of it anywhere because the front of the barrel is gone

where do you live?

tennessee

Clamp the body in a vice with soft sides, take a wooden dowel rod and a hammer and knock it out. Might try soaking in penetrating oil just to make sure it hasn't rusted inside somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Clamp the body in a vice with soft sides, take a wooden dowel rod and a hammer and knock it out. Might try soaking in penetrating oil just to make sure it hasn't rusted inside somewhere.
    how would i do that, i cant push it out from the back... i saw it out earlier and it has no rust. i think an o-ring on the barrel has caused it to get jammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldogg View Post
    how would i do that, i cant push it out from the back... i saw it out earlier and it has no rust. i think an o-ring on the barrel has caused it to get jammed.
    Why not? Maybe you do need to post up a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Why not? Maybe you do need to post up a pic.
    and here we go...

this is the back part of the barrel that is stuck

This is the front of the barrel that was glued to the back (when i tried to get the thing out the glue bond broke and left the back stranded) as you can see it has no threads.

this little silver ring is part of the body and prevents me from pushing it out from the back.

the back of the barrel is threaded but i don't know what the threads are or were to get a barre to fit it but maybe i could pull it out that way if i had a front?

need more pics just tell me what parts you need to see.

if your not gonna save the barrel just put a hole in or thru it and get and allen wrench or screwdriver to pull it loose

were could i get a new one?

TL barrels are by no means hard to find. I have several of them for sale. I am confused though about you mentioning that the part left in has threads? There should be nothing threaded on a TL barrel unless it's a Freak back or a TL to Cocker adapter.

it has really really tightly spaced threads. i don't know much about the TL barrels so im not sure if they are supposed to come apart into two pieces. all i know is that this one did. so im wondering if there are specially threaded tips to them or that all of them are glued together and mine just broke.

Is the feed hole still in the fully back position or did it move up prior to the barrel coming apart? Either way, you may still be able to put the body in a clamp and use a long screw driver to try and knock it out. Use the feed hole as a striking point for the screw driver if needed. I am wondering though if it is just an o-ring caught in it if heating it up would soften the oring a bit and make it easier to get out? Another idea that may or may not work would be trying to reglue the barrel tip back into the back. Let it set up for a couple of day and try to pull it back out? Might take super glue, Gorilla glue or maybe even some JB Weld? You would have to be super careful obviously not to make it more stuck.

i might try to re-glue. i am assuming that there is no other half that can screw in here. i would take a picture but it hard to see it way down in there.

the feed hole is all the way back but not twisted. is there any liquid that could cause the o-rings to deteriorate that would be safe to put in there?

Sam, You've won the" weird sh.. of the day" contest. And believe me I've done some weird in my day. Twist locks have a grove milled into them that the barrel detent slips into and then locks it in place when turned 1/4 turn. A Doc's adapter is a piece of stainless that has small "holes" drilled into it so the barrel detent can hold it in a fixed posistion. It kinda sounds like you've got the TL grove buggered up and it's jamed itself in the body. you are correct that it looks impossible to drive it out from the rear because the stop for the bolt spring fills up the body and matches the barrel id.Now , do you own an old cocker threaded barrel? If so see if it will thread into the stuck part. If it does the soak the thing down in the penetrating oil of your chose and clamp the barrel in a vice(Barrels are cheaper then bodies) and pull straight back. RE-glueing has all kinds of problems of keeping the glue where you need it so save that option to last. A 1500 watt hair dryer will heat the body without discoloring it and may help. If theres a machine shop near you I'd take it to them and let them give you suggestions. Worst case work a deal with me or any of these other guys to ship it and see if we can get it out. OPBN's been around long enought to have seen alot of crazy problems, and as I said I've created and had to fix my share also. Needless to say your current barrel is not only stuck it's fubar also so save the body. Good luck
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

the back is defiantly not cocker threaded. i don't even know if it is supposed to be threaded or if along the way someone attempted to tap it and failed.

for pulling it out im leaning toward just putting a hole in the barrel and using an Allen key or screw driver(as mentioned above) because that seems the only way to get a grip on it. (any other ideas on how to get a hold of it are welcome.)

i figure il just buy a replacement barrel that is just on piece of preferably steel (i think dye makes one)

Try soaking it in some warm soapy water for awhile, and then grab on to the recessed barrel back with some needle-nose pliers. It's a twistlock body, so if the rail is detached, there's nothing to hold the barrel in there except a gummed up o-ring or a wire barrel nubbin that got wonky.