Thread: ss or al freak back?

ss or al freak back?

Which one is overall better? Or is it really just preference? And yes I know the al is lighter.

I can't imagine any real difference. Now if we are talking inserts...that may be another story.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Which one is overall better? Or is it really just preference? And yes I know the al is lighter.
    Stainless Is better at everything except:
    Weight
    And colors.

Besides that they are way better and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I can't imagine any real difference. Now if we are talking inserts...that may be another story.
    Annnnnnd I just realized we are talking about backs.

In which case, stainless is stronger I guess? And stainless has less drag/friction?

Ss is stronger. But how is it really better?

Ss is stronger. But how is it really better?
    I thought you were talking about inserts. SS backs are stronger and I would say that's about it. But if we are talking about inserts the SS is better in a number of different ways.

I wish I had a set of ss inserts. I'm not real hard on the gear I use. Just like it to last. I've got an ss twist lock back now. Debating on trying to trade it for an al one. That's why this question popped up.

freak backs:
    aluminium is able to be anno'd
    its lighter

stainless is shiney
    its heavier

that's about it. since you are using inserts, the back doesn't touch(or shouldn't) the ball so the drag coefficient doesn't play in. if you don't like the SS then trade for the AL. if not, its not really a big deal.

Stainless steel makes paintballs have better self esteem and fly straighter. end of story.

ss back on ebay.

I've actually got one of each. But was trying to trade a ss back for an AL one. Couldn't get the guy to bite on a trade. And I can't. ring myself to spend money on that right now. So no big deal. I've still got a tl freak back for both mags. And an al one for the cocker if I ever get it going.

I use stainless, I have heard that they expand and contract less than the aluminum in the hot and cold. Because where I am at the temp. can swing a fair amount from the start to the end of the day. Not sure if it makes that big of a difference but that is one of the reasons I use them.

Hmmmmm. That actually makes quite a bit of sense. We have to expand and contract metals at work all the time. And reg run of the mill al has a large flux with it. Also would affect al barrels and inserts the same way. So another reason to have all ss inserts. All and all. Since I own one of each. May have to take my calipers with me next time I play. Or just check in a cool place in my house. Then sit in front of the heater and check again.

Hmmmmm. That actually makes quite a bit of sense. We have to expand and contract metals at work all the time. And reg run of the mill al has a large flux with it. Also would affect al barrels and inserts the same way. So another reason to have all ss inserts. All and all. Since I own one of each. May have to take my calipers with me next time I play. Or just check in a cool place in my house. Then sit in front of the heater and check again.
    Coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) for aluminum =13.1 microinches/inch-°F
    " " for stainless =5.67 microinches/inch-°F

So basically Aluminum gets bigger about twice as fast as steel. (I know its not exact because the temp range for that CTE value is 68°F to 212°F... but is close enough for this)

For a Ø.689" insert... A 100°F change in temp so... lets say from 0°F right after someone ramped like a noob with second hand ion on Co2 till the bolt sticks to a pleasant Phoenix morning of 100°F... the aluminum would change Ø.0006" and the steel would change Ø.0003. Best pull out your deltronics or a REALLY expensive ID micrometer.

/Aerospace engineer out of a Job... don't worry had an interview today that went well. should be back to normal shortly.
    Last edited by MoeMag; 09-21-2013 at 01:08 AM.