Thread: L10 springs

L10 springs

One of the few parts I've actually broken on my mag has actually been a silver L10 spring. I suspect there was some material defect in the metal. I hope.

Obviously, I need a new one, but tuning these things is somewhat annoying.

Has anyone ever considered making some spring-shims to allow tuning? Like some end shimmed wave springs you could incrementally stack up to bring a gold spring (of which I have way too many of) up to L10 standards.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

I honestly have never had any luck using the red or silver spring. I always end up with the shorter gold one. Maybe its my method, but anyways I have a silver one if you want it. PM me your address and I send it out.

Going to TxPPG in Forney?

I think I have some silver springs. I'll have to check and make sure they are un-molested. I prefer to run the gold springs if you want to trade.

A shimmed spring should wear faster than a longer one. However, I think the mm2k9 body showed that you could throw another body washer (spacer) in there to shim the bolt spring.

kwik175: thx man

Spider: Tentatively, don't think I'll make TxPPG in Forney, that date is not so good. I'll let you know if I do.

I think the fact that you can put a longer spring already indicates you can put some sort of shim in there, but I guess the unknown part is how much shimming would be needed for a gold spring, and would that prove too much.

I'll have to look into the wear issue.

I've worn out my level 10 springs, but never broken one. Approximately how many cycles were on it?
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I have snapped a red one. It was in there for years.

It still worked, though it chuffed at higher firing rates. Figured it out during maintenance.

Never considered the shim angle for the spring. Should be worth exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    I've worn out my level 10 springs, but never broken one. Approximately how many cycles were on it?
    Hard to tell exactly; I'd say in the ballpark of 50,000 cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Hard to tell exactly; I'd say in the ballpark of 50,000 cycles.
    It was probably worn out. I had to replace any of mine before they had that many cycles on them, due to them becoming too weak to perform properly. Normally springs would just weaken a bit but we are subjecting them to impact as well, which accelerates their life towards failure.