Thread: cleaning barrels

cleaning barrels

k i ran a squeegee the rope style and there is still crap in there. would scratches effect the ball? whats a good way to get it cleaned? it was a new squeegee...

Yes. Soap and hot water.

Simple rope squeegees are just to remove large debris and paint so you can keep playing somewhat effectively in-game. To really clean the barrel you will need to use a good swab style squeegee, like a bomb swab, along with soap, hot water, and any purpose made barrel cleaner you might have. I hold my barrels up to a ceiling light and make sure the bore reflects the light like a mirror with no visible flaws before I consider it clean.

Sometimes with old paint that has been sitting in the barrel, you may need to actually soak it for awhile. I personally use a degreasing dish detergent like Dawn or similar.

Dawn is what I used to get the leftovers from multiple years past out of the freak kit I got in a big purchase. Still took swabbing. But its shiny clean now.

put some steel wool on a metal dowel and put that in a drill. it will get out the big chunks, the little bits and that disgusting mirror like finish. so let'er rip, tater-chip...

if you do this, i am not responsible for anything. its just common sense. use hot water, and clean it out to whatever standard of cleanliness you want. we also need a sarcasm smiley face. though i would probably wear it out.

Dawn does work well. That is what I have always used. Also, a bore mop for a 12 or 10 gauge shotgun is a cheap alternative for scrubbing. A little metal polish, like Flitz, or even something like toothpaste applied to the swab will help get the last bit of gelatin out of the bore, and get you the high-shine you desire. You could even chock it in a drill, like Nobody half-jokingly suggested. I clean the plastic wad residue out of my shotguns by chocking in my cleaning rod, and a bronze brush. Incidentally, 0000 steel wool actually works really well at that, too, and does leave the bore shiny. But, that is a shotgun. The mop should work well enough.
    "My Jell-O is dying in the audience..."
    Merrill Howard Kalin

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    put some steel wool on a metal dowel and put that in a drill. it will get out the big chunks, the little bits and that disgusting mirror like finish. so let'er rip, tater-chip...

if you do this, i am not responsible for anything. its just common sense. use hot water, and clean it out to whatever standard of cleanliness you want. we also need a sarcasm smiley face. though i would probably wear it out.
    You're doing it wrong.facepalm

You need a Dremel with a sanding drum attachment. It will work better then steel wool.sarcastic

After cleaning my barrels, I have a valken barrel swab that I put in my drill press to finish the job, leaves a nice mirror finish.