Thread: Automag leak issue after rebuild(s)

Automag leak issue after rebuild(s)

OK... So I think I figured out from my previous RT Pro valve thread, that a piece of teflon tape had gotten into the gun and caused a leak down the barrel. I ordered a eBay rebuild kit to take care of the old yellowed o-rings. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/200905686126...T0%26ga4m%3DT3)

So now, when I reassembled the RT Pro valve, I get a leak out of the small hole on the left hand side.

Name:  oqxb.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  23.4 KB

It does fire, but the leak is consistent and strong. I rebuilt the regulator pin valve again, but I'm not sure if it's sitting all the way in the bore in the valve.

Name:  xd49.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  11.7 KB

Name:  htt0.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  19.8 KB

I'm frustrated, and I've got a Level 10 kit on the way, but I want the valve itself sorted out first.

What am I missing?

-P

Are you certain that the reg pin assembly is done correctly and that it is clean? My understanding is that leaks from that hole indicate a dirty assembly.

The reg pin assembly looks like it's not seated all the way in. The brass disc with cross hatches (reg seat) should sit against the front valve half, as the o-ring on the back side of that disc seals there.

Also, it looks like the o-rings you're using are inexpensive black Buna-N o-rings instead of the recommended 90-D urethane. When the auction seller stated "You can expect the same life and durability with Buna-N" it was a lie. Buna-N o-rings are very much cheaper. The seller makes a higher profit margin selling those instead of the correct urethane o-rings, and that's the only reason they're pushing Buna-N. While there are applications in an automag where you can use a Buna-N o-ring and it won't matter very much, I don't see the reg pin assembly, reg seat o-ring, and powertube/carrier o-rings as being those places.

You'd be much better off getting a proper valve rebuild kit from AGD or Tunaman.

Isnt that black oring on top of the brass reg seat in the third picture supposed to be on the other half of the valve (the reg half) around the hole? Thats where the reccesed spot is for it. Does that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by skipdogg View Post
    Isnt that black oring on top of the brass reg seat in the third picture supposed to be on the other half of the valve (the reg half) around the hole? Thats where the reccesed spot is for it. Does that matter?
    There's o-rings on both sides. Often the o-ring that you're seeing on top there gets stuck in the back half of the valve instead of on the reg pin.

Why is their a recessed part around the hole in the reg half which is sized to match that oring even there then? Wouldnt the back half be flat on the inside then? I think the oring is supposed to be seated there, but gets stuck against the brass reg seat instead. Opposite of what you said ^^^
    Am I wrong???

Either way, that's the location. You're right that in all my valves, it's sitting in the pocket in the back half of the valve. But I've seen some where it hangs on the reg pin instead. It doesn't seem to cause a problem either way.

Im not familiar with exactly what goes on in there during normal operation, but I'm also not sure if their is no potential for problems. It would seem that if Tom made that pocket for a o-ring, then thats where the oring should be....