Thread: question for CAD or 3D graphics people

question for CAD or 3D graphics people

is there a way to mesh the shell of like a karta body (the contours and flow) &
    the inner dimensions of the ULE body or the CAD file of a ULE body, into one part?

im working on getting ahold of a 3D scanner, and was wondering how to fuse these two?
    im asking this because the scanner wont be able to get the inner dimensions.

I know im leaving out a lot of details, shoot the questions at me,

let get this figured out.

what I have:
    -cad of ule body.
    -(will have someday) scans of the outside of other bodies.
    -cad skills to fuse cad files.
    -conversion ability to make any file almost any other file.
    -some knowledge of photo shop. (no expert but very good understanding)
    -access to solid modeling software, *proE, AutoCAD, photoshop, and many others at my institution of learning.

thought I would ask the community since I have trouble in my box, would like help thinking outside.

please if you have no knowledge in this field please refrain from clogging this thread.

thankyou,
    KNM.

If you can produce a 3D block of the body style you want, then you are good to go. You can use the inner dimensions of the ULE body from its 3D CAD drawing to properly place and remove the solid parts as required. If you already have a 3D model of the ULE body created, convert the empty space inside to a solid model and use it to subtract from the new body block you have created. As long as you use a common reference point, everything will line up properly.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    If you can produce a 3D block of the body style you want, then you are good to go. You can use the inner dimensions of the ULE body from its 3D CAD drawing to properly place and remove the solid parts as required. If you already have a 3D model of the ULE body created, convert the empty space inside to a solid model and use it to subtract from the new body block you have created. As long as you use a common reference point, everything will line up properly.
    ok ill try to see if I can put into action what you are telling me, im hard at doing from reading, more from pictures, lol. but I get what you are saying, ill start throwing some stuff together when I get a chance,

*may have a nice 3D scanner soon.

I'd love to have a 3D scanner. Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    I'd love to have a 3D scanner. Sounds interesting.
    waiting for the bubble to get better, otherwise I would have one now.

Yes you can mesh the two into one. Fairly simple. You have to make sure what you get out of the scanner is usable. Ive had very little luck with works 3d scanner.

Also why scan a karta instead of making your own design.

If its just to use the scannerand learn. Thats cool. If its to make more then thats not.

Trust me as a designer having your designs copyed is not flatering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    Yes you can mesh the two into one. Fairly simple. You have to make sure what you get out of the scanner is usable. Ive had very little luck with works 3d scanner.

Also why scan a karta instead of making your own design.

If its just to use the scannerand learn. Thats cool. If its to make more then thats not.

Trust me as a designer having your designs copyed is not flatering.
    no not to make more, just to get a feel for the contouring of stuff, and comparison real time with dust and gloss finishes,
    learning mostly, im not a copy jockey,

ill be making my own parts, just need to get my inner proficiencies up and up

Sounds good. You would never believe how many requests I get with people wanting me to copy something so more can be made. Karta or chord are among the top ones I get asked.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    Sounds good. You would never believe how many requests I get with people wanting me to copy something so more can be made. Karta or chord are among the top ones I get asked.
    yeah, just get inventive and put one of your own designs on paper that's where it starts.
    that's at least what you told me. about 2-3 years ago