Thread: X Valve / Level 10 /ULT sillyness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

X Valve / Level 10 /ULT sillyness

Soo.... X valve purchased used... with a level 10 bolt, .5 carrier, no shims. ULT with what appears to be 2-3 ult shims and 1-2 level 10 shims. Just a few questions...
    When I "short stroke" the trigger, finger in the breach, it doesn't recock. That sound normal? If I perform a crisp, full, trigger pull, with my finger in the breach, it recocks most of the time. Its weird, even when it had 2 level 10 shims in the power tube it did the same thing. I was using a new tank, which was purchased without knowing if it was LP or HP (facepalm), but I installed a gauge and its reading 850+ so... it can't be that. Shrug, air is gone, I can fiddle with it more tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Jason

try another shim or 2 in your ULT

sounds like you were testing again w/o enough air in your tank?

Nah, had enough air. Have about 1k left, all these issues happened since 4k psi so /shrug. My only question is, why will more ULT shims affect bolt recock? Or normal operation, for that matter. It came with the valve, so its not a bad thing. I love the crazy light trigger pull.

wait your ULT has 2-3 ULT shims and 1-2 lvl 10 shims in it right now?

Yeah, they all don't look the same thickness. Took 1 of the odd ones out, and its as thick as the Level 10 ones. .01 thickness vs .005 I think?
    Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by Stealthpanda; 10-05-2013 at 04:17 PM.

The problem can also in some case be too tight or loose field strip screw.

Meh, This doesn't feel like a carrier size that is too tight. This appears to be short stroking. Full length trigger pulls re-cock with no issue. I do have a chuffing issue from time to time, nothing in the breach, and sometimes the recock is delayed when I get on the trigger. Probably not full trigger pulls (short stroking). A suction sound is heard, stops within 1 second or so, then the gun recocks. 1 Level 10 shim, 1 ULT shim (3). Picking up an RT on/off and this will tell me more. Ill-tuned ULT or not.
    Thanks,
    Jason

How old is your bolt spring? A worn bolt spring can cause issues like you are describing.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

The one I was using came with the bolt. It still extends past the bolt tip itself when installed onto the bolt, but I cannot verify if its new(er). I believe at one point I tried putting a new spring in it, but still probably had way too many shims for it to matter. I could try that though.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Carrier has to be too tight now. Won't recock sometimes, after a short stroke. IIRC, any pressure needed to push the bolt onto the power tube assembly means too tight, correct? I need to give AGD tech a call, because there is something I am clearly not getting, and am thoroughly frustrated because of it.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Bolt stickiness can also be caused by too tight or loose field strip screw.

I've had this happen on my ULE body with RPG Shadow rail. The shadow rail is just loose enough in the back to allow the valve to get slightly misaligned when the field strip screw is tightened all the way. Causing the bolt to some times stick (or bolt spring to drag) in the body inside roof just enough to let the lvl 10 to kick in and do its thing.

In short, I spent some time going trough the carriers (and o-rings) until I realized what was causing the issue. In the end all that was needed was to loosen the field strip screw about 1/3-1/4 turns.