Thread: Why no private label Mags?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why no private label Mags?

While it's kind if good for my wallet, one major collectors difference between Mags and Cockers is the absence of private label Mags. I mean their were PTP Micros, splash kits offered by Eclipse and SP, Devilmags and SFL's but little beyond that. Compare that to all the Private label clockers made. Why is this?

probably because there are so many parts in cockers compared to mags. And also because the majority of automag aftermarket parts that were made were inferior to the stock components.... really, if you get down to it, it's Tom's fault for making such a damn fine product.

Just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    While it's kind if good for my wallet, one major collectors difference between Mags and Cockers is the absence of private label Mags. I mean their were PTP Micros, splash kits offered by Eclipse and SP, Devilmags and SFL's but little beyond that. Compare that to all the Private label clockers made. Why is this?
    Mags are essentially the valve. Yes, the body changes the look, but many aftermarket manufacturers couldn't purchase the valve from AGD, add their own body, and sell at a reasonable price to make a decent profit. Especially, since they couldn't offer any performance upgrades. With cockers, a custom body and a few changes to the internals would change the performance, so it was easier to market from a private label point of view.

Smart Parts did offer a smart mag that had their barrel as well as valve upgrades such as the magic box and ported valve back.

PTP offered custom mags and emags. They were essentially body kits with custom logos on the valves.

SFL had a custom emag that was a predecessor to the X-mag. Again, it was essentially a body kit that used an AGD valve and electronics.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    Mags are essentially the valve. Yes, the body changes the look, but many aftermarket manufacturers couldn't purchase the valve from AGD, add their own body, and sell at a reasonable price to make a decent profit. Especially, since they couldn't offer any performance upgrades. With cockers, a custom body and a few changes to the internals would change the performance, so it was easier to market from a private label point of view.
    That pretty much sums up what I was thinking. Also the unfortunate fact that the current mag market is too small to support a healthy aftermarket.

why does everyone always forget the HyperMag/Hyper valve?

but essentially yes. cockers are based off sheridans, so you can mix and match from that path with changing bolts and regs and all. there wasn't a whole lot to change on a mag to begin with. Eclipse had the market sowed with their dress-up kits. then later, with the bodies and frames, AGD already had them with the ULE, intelliframes, Z and Y frames. and because they(the aftermarket companies) couldn't improve on absent parts from OEM, there was nothing people couldn't do. AGD generally only had a tow hold in paintball. there was only a few teams on the top levels that ever shot Mags, so you didn't have companies offering the special additions, and to a point, the Mag was pretty damned good out of the box.

and i think, a lot of why there wasn't anything in the aftermarket/private label, the mag operated differently from everything else? there were huge amounts of closed bolt cockers, but what about the closed bolt shocker? why were their plenty of timmys but none from outside sources(bar the Nemesis)?

Ok, but going through some pics of a pretty extensive collection I saw recently posted up on MCB, I see lots if Cocker offerings from Kapp and Eclipse that don't look like much more than fancy milling, ano and frames. Did these private label Cockers really have that much in the way of functional improvements over their WGP offerings? I mean who wouldn't have wanted to see a complete Dallara mag with aftermarket frame etc offered in limited edition ano and such? And from what I can gather most of these private label Cockers were offered back when AGD was viable, or am I over thinking how big AGD was? To be quite honest, I didn't come in until the heyday of paintball has long passed.

There's very little "meat" on a mag to make custom looking. Like others mentioned, there's nothing to upgrade or tweak.
    The real kicker is that most of the "pros" were using cockers by the time the private label guns started coming out. The RT getting the boot from tournaments was the nail in the coffin.

So Eclipse kits, Smart Parts kits,

SFL Mags,

Smart Mags,

Predator Mags,

Boxer Mags,

O Pawlak Mags,

Galactic Systems Z Mags,

HyperMags,

and PTP MicroMags (in 5+ different variations),

aren't enough for you? Seems like there were plenty of private label offerings to me. Especially considering the market split at the time...

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Ok, but going through some pics of a pretty extensive collection I saw recently posted up on MCB, I see lots if Cocker offerings from Kapp and Eclipse that don't look like much more than fancy milling, ano and frames. Did these private label Cockers really have that much in the way of functional improvements over their WGP offerings? I mean who wouldn't have wanted to see a complete Dallara mag with aftermarket frame etc offered in limited edition ano and such? And from what I can gather most of these private label Cockers were offered back when AGD was viable, or am I over thinking how big AGD was? To be quite honest, I didn't come in until the heyday of paintball has long passed.
    The Eclipse guns, were, and still are, considered the cream of the crop. The mechs had probably the smoothest and crispest triggers. The bodies were milled down to cut weight and the pneumatics are some of the best out there.

Cant say the same for the KAPP stuff or a lot of the rest of the aftermarket, but the Eclipse/Belsales guns are superb.