Thread: Automag with RT goes putt-putt...

Automag with RT goes putt-putt...

So, my Minimag RT madness continues (following up from: https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...rebuild%28s%29)

I rebuilt the valve using a AGD kit (no eBay shiznit!), and while I was waiting for the parts, had Luke set the valve up for a ULT assy. Forward to today: I rebuilt the valve using some of the parts out of the kit (didn't need to rebuild the new ULT). BUT, when I dry fire it.... I get a putt-putt-putt weak sound. It's just meh. I tried a paintball in it, and I probably could have caught it in midair.

SO... I'm not getting the velocity I would expect, even with it turned all the way in... what am I looking for? What did I miss?

-P

Try using the regular on/off. See what you get.

What is the Output on your tank?

I don't think I can put my old one back in... it was the single o-ring style. I did order a new regulator piston... because I've replaced everything else.

As far as tank regulator, I'm using a Ninja HP version, my other tank is going to get a SHP reg this weekend. If 850 isn't good enough, 1100 should be better.

Frustrated... when a 'Cocker is proving more reliable, you know something is wrong.

-P

You can put another o-ring around the stock on/off top oring, which is how all of the other stock on/offs are set up.

How many shims do you have in the ULT?

Is there at least a 1000 psi in your tank?

Did you have it working with the old on/off?

Ah... I assumed they looked like the ULE with the oring mounted around the diameter of the upper half.

3 shims currently... I tried 1 more, I tried 1 less... same same.

Not anymore. I have an issue (might be part and parcel), where air rushes down the barrel for a second until the on/off locks in.

No. I was used when I got it, and it didn't work then either. Then I did an eBay re-oring, and made it worse.

-P

Lots of oil?

Lvl10 yet, or not?

I'm surprised it doesn't leak when you turned the reg all the way in. Does the valve reg have two springs in the back (one inside the other)?

I added oil... Seems to be the "cure all" for mags.

Have lvl 10. Wanted the RT & ULE combo to work first.

That's what I'd heard would happen.... screwed it all the way in, nothing. I've got a new piston coming in, other than that, the only thing that still untouched (save o-rings) is the pin valve and regulator piston springs.

-P

The piston doesn't affect the ability to increase the velocity/air pressure. The piston only affects the safety pressure at which the air will vent if the pressure gets too high. The two springs behind the piston affect the ability to increase the velocity.

Are you using the stock velocity adjuster?

Air rushing down the barrel before properly resetting is usually caused by bolt stick issues. In a level 10, that is caused by having a carrier size that is too tight. Tune your level 10 and use the largest carrier size that doesn't cause any leaking while sitting at rest.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

The level 10 is in a box on the bench, not installed as I'm not sure I wanted to add another variable. Aside from the piston and the pin valve... it's all new-ish.

Yep... stock RT Pro adjuster, stock adjuster springs.

-P

If you are having these issues with the level 7 installed, it is still bolt stick but the fix is to either replace the bolt spring or to lengthen the powertube spacer, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    If you are having these issues with the level 7 installed, it is still bolt stick but the fix is to either replace the bolt spring or to lengthen the powertube spacer, or both.
    Bad bolt spring. New one cured it. Now I just have to tune my Level 10 (Red spring + No shims?), then get my ULT installed and working.

Thanks for the help!

-P

Quote Originally Posted by Throws View Post
    Now I just have to tune my Level 10 (Red spring + No shims?)...P
    Correct. Don't install any shims.