Thread: micro mags

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

micro mags

is there something odd about them that keeps people from buying them. i have seen several on ebay and a couple here for sale at what i think is a good price and they aren't moving. are they that much of a niche product?

alot of them suffer from machining errors. not bad ones but bad enough to piss you off 3 min into a game during that 1 really important kill or be killed moment. theres alot of threads about it. if you click the archives above you can read some about it

EDIT: most people have really good luck with them but the seller isnt exactly going to tell you when youre buying a lemon

cavet emptor

I can only speak for myself. I just think they are ugly.

Post links to the ones you're talking about. The only ones that had some issues were the MM2K9 ones and even then it wasn't all of them. Maybe the ones you're looking at are overpriced.

Well, aside from the overwhelming and foul stench of PTP, what you got for the money doesn't seem like much.

You get very little by way of functionality. Cocker threads, which are available elsewhere now. Feedneck options which are available elsewhere now. And the PTP detent which is nice but it's not like the other detent styles are horrible.

I don't think you really get any decent weight reduction. With the rail built into the body, that means you can't upgrade the rail to the latest swooshy aesthetic best-looking-gun-in-the-deadbox whatever. That also extends to the foregrip, where your options become more limited.

You buy one if you want to have something "special".

If you like exactly what PTP gives you, you're probably good to go. There are some really "nice looking" ones out there. But if you want to change anything -- even if it's swapping out the wobbly trigger frame, I fail to see the point. IMO they're best left whole.

I owned one very briefly from a craigslist acquisition. It was amusing, but... just wasn't worth the money that was tied up in it.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Well, aside from the overwhelming and foul stench of PTP, what you got for the money doesn't seem like much.

You get very little by way of functionality. Cocker threads, which are available elsewhere now. Feedneck options which are available elsewhere now. And the PTP detent which is nice but it's not like the other detent styles are horrible.

I don't think you really get any decent weight reduction. With the rail built into the body, that means you can't upgrade the rail to the latest swooshy aesthetic best-looking-gun-in-the-deadbox whatever. That also extends to the foregrip, where your options become more limited.

You buy one if you want to have something "special".

If you like exactly what PTP gives you, you're probably good to go. There are some really "nice looking" ones out there. But if you want to change anything -- even if it's swapping out the wobbly trigger frame, I fail to see the point. IMO they're best left whole.

I owned one very briefly from a craigslist acquisition. It was amusing, but... just wasn't worth the money that was tied up in it.
    Do they have feedneck options?

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    is there something odd about them that keeps people from buying them. i have seen several on ebay and a couple here for sale at what i think is a good price and they aren't moving. are they that much of a niche product?
    I know what you mean. For awhile Micromags were pretty popular and really were considered one of the higher-end automags because of the cocker threading and compact body/rail design. The newer 2k9 body's issues did put a bit of a damper on the name "Pro Team Products," but at least they tried putting out a new product for a gun designed in the 90s.

I also know what you mean about the prices of them going down. I've seen a lot of them with RT valves and some basic upgrades go for around $200. Actually I can confirm this because I've bought 2 micromags in the last few months at that price point. I've been grabbing them up when I see a good deal cause I have big plans for helping to correct some of the main issues of the Micromag. The 2 biggest problems I see with the micromag are: non upgradable forgrip and powerfeed feedneck. 2 issues that should be fixed once my machinist gets his mill fixed. I'll make a thread about all this once I have more info.

Would still be curious as to which ones the OP feels aren't selling for what they're worth. Really unless they have special anodizing, they aren't coveted since there seems to have been a fair amount of them made, at least the Gen 3/4 ones. Keep in mind that unless they have the front VASA, they are hard to sell, as there are few options to replace it. Lukes made/makes a gas through for them that is quite nice, but other than that, there are few options. Not sure why so many of them came without the VASA, but nowdays people want them to have them. And PTP no longer has any. A lot of people don't like the powerfeed either on the pre 2k ones. You'll also find the chrome/nickel ones don't usually sell very well either.