Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: KNM's 3D print shop/ prep

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    One trick on hole spacing is to measure them 3 or 4 different ways then compare results. I'm overly careful amount reverse engineering parts, because it sucks making a part a dozen times to get it right. Measure, measure, measure, measure again, then one more time to be sure, when your done with all of that, check it again, especially if you generally screw it up (lol)

Don't forget to make sure you calipers are set to zero, plus it wouldn't hurt to check them on a gauge block. You'll pick up tricks as you advance, I'll give you a clue, you can use software to check your drawing against the actual part.
    lol don't have that software.
    its not the hole size its the placement.
    ill keep working.

thankyou,
    KNM
    My sydarm weighs less than yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    lol don't have that software.
    its not the hole size its the placement.
    ill keep working.

thankyou,
    KNM
    LOL, so quick to jump to conclusions and dismiss what I'm saying.
    Makes me want to do this>>>>

I have no idea what software you have but I'll bet you a $1 you can check your line drawing against a factory part, specifically the one your currently working on. Any CAD program will have a feature that will allow you to do this. I won't give it to you so easy since you so quickly dismissed the heads up.
    Never said a word about hole size, I am talking about lay out and spacing, don't care what the part is I bet I can measure hole spacing 4 different ways to check the center-line spacing.
    Last edited by luke; 12-06-2013 at 11:42 PM.

concerning the end of your video text, I have no idea what you mean,
    I don't have this option"Any CAD program will have a feature that will allow you to do this". I know my software, it is a skeleton of the original.

didn't dismiss you one bit.

sorry the hole size was me talking/typing out loud.

its a work in progress.

thankyou, but again I am very confused still. nothing to do with you just stuff over here are not well.

thankyou,
    KNM

never looking for handouts, just the machinist here(where I live) don't want to talk to me anymore unless I pull out my cash.(I can do that at any college and get way better results, since I can put product to machine there.) here im print plastic.
    Last edited by knownothingmags; 12-07-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Just trying to get you to think, take an Emag battery pack top or bottom and study the part, then tell me how many ways you can come up with to find the center line of two holes that are parallel to one of the sides (well two actually if you want to get technical.)

I can pretty much guarantee your program will produce something that will allow you to check your line drawing against the actual part. (That is a huge clue)

Just trying to get you to think, take an Emag battery pack top or bottom and study the part, then tell me how many ways you can come up with to find the center line of two holes that are parallel to one of the sides (well two actually if you want to get technical.)

I can pretty much guarantee your program will produce something that will allow you to check your line drawing against the actual part. (That is a huge clue)
    I got it I got I got it.
    be while before I can test it but I think I know what you are saying.
    thankyou.
    KNM.

***now ima see what you posted lol

Take an Emag battery pack top or bottom and study the part, then tell me how many ways you can come up with to find the center line of two holes that are parallel to one of the sides (well two actually if you want to get technical.)
    In less than a minute I came up with 6 ways...

In less than a minute I came up with 6 ways...
    problem with how I think, from what I have been told by many people around well the world, is I go the wrong way to think.

maybe im in the wrong profession, and should hang it up,
    since for me to make money I need to do things quickly.
    and im not even talking machining, purely 3D printing.

but thankyou again for the help still confused only because I have trouble learning from reading, only from hearing do I do well.

if all else fails throw money at it right? lol just kidding.

Don't give up or make assumptions.

I can pretty much guarantee your program will produce something that will allow you to check your line drawing against the actual part.
    The above dawned on me after years of messing with my program, you can google and search and I doubt you will find the answer.

The measuring exercise is just a brain exercise to get you to put the effort into looking at things differently. If you want to design parts, measuring is the first thing you need to master. It can be done with some basic tools. Don't give up, I am probably the worlds worst student, put me in a classroom and I'm like a deer caught in the headlights. Let me hang out and watch a master at work and ask questions freely and I'll pick it up 100x faster.

The hole centerline measuring question is a very good exercise, the answers really are staring you right in the face, but you have to try.

Don't give up or make assumptions.

The above dawned on me after years of messing with my program, you can google and search and I doubt you will find the answer.

The measuring exercise is just a brain exercise to get you to put the effort into looking at things differently. If you want to design parts, measuring is the first thing you need to master. It can be done with some basic tools. Don't give up, I am probably the worlds worst student, put me in a classroom and I'm like a deer caught in the headlights. Let me hang out and watch a master at work and ask questions freely and I'll pick it up 100x faster.

The hole centerline measuring question is a very good exercise, the answers really are staring you right in the face, but you have to try.
    I have time after Christmas, ill have another go at it.
    ill get it right I know I will.

thankyou again,
    KNM.

I can pretty much guarantee your program will produce something that will allow you to check your line drawing against the actual part

I'll let you think some on the measuring exercise, then if I can think of an easy way to explain it online I will.

lol,
    yeah it was looking me right in the face.

So print your line drawing to exact scale then you can compare the original parts to it. If you have a light box it works great, but not always necessary depending on the part.

When ever I am drawing up a part in SolidWorks I measure each part about a dozen times. Measuring holes can be a pain. I measure the diameter, half that for the radi, measure the edge to edge in 4 spots and add the radi to that to find the center point of the hole.
    I am self taught on SolidWorks and CAD. In the beginning I was rubbish but I have gotten a lot better in recent years.

What CAD program do you use?

creo, solidworks, inventor, and autocad by itself.

im pretty good too with this stuff,
    I just mind lapsed the printing of the footprint of the drawing/line work(like luke said)

I knew about it I was just thinking to big, like he said it is in front of me I was just not looking that close.
    and the crap filament is fine for now.

OK, lets see if the makes sense or at least helps.
    All the vertical lines that are orange can be used in many different combinations to check and verify centerlines.

If both holes have the same radius, one easy way to figure the CL (using calipers) is to measure the inside to inside distance between the two holes, in this example it is 1.4942" then add that to the diameter measurement of one of the holes, 0.5000.

This makes the centerline 1.9942"

There are many different ways to to go about extracting that information, if it is highly critical when reverse engineering a part I will calculate centerline several different ways in order to verify it's correct.

I generally start by eye balling the centerline with my calipers as reference then go though the process stated above.

I gotcha,
    I get it.

last night I successfully got all the distances. just printing crash test dummy packs right now.

What's a 'crash test dummy pack'?

Possibly a strength test part to see how it holds up?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkApollo View Post
    Possibly a strength test part to see how it holds up?
    yeah since I am printing abs. its not at all close to aluminum,
    and if I make packs for people I don't wan t them to assume anything.

Your box is full.

Mmmmm that sounds nasty.

clean

got real lazy and printed me a stick grip.
    video:

here is what it went on (right side)

woot woot, emag pack success, has the same contour as the front of stock emag rails.

How long does it take to print a complete pack housing assembly? Is it a functional as a battery(housing)?

How long does it take to print a complete pack housing assembly? Is it a functional as a battery(housing)?
    yes it is functional,
    time is variable.

Minutes, hours or days to print?

these packs take an hour right now.
    this filament isn't my favorite, but I can speed it up to 20 mins.

good filament 4 packs it 20 mins.

That looks NICE.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkApollo View Post
    That looks NICE.
    yeah, it does well, for a super simple pack.
    and its not even smoothed out yet with my acetone wash I do.
    Last edited by knownothingmags; 12-16-2013 at 01:00 PM.