Thread: velocity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

velocity

i was wondering if barrel length affects paintballs the way it does real bullets, mainly do i need to re-chrono if changing from a long barrel to a short for speedball and vice versa or can i just change and go?

Should re chrono.

Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. The only true way to find out is to chronograph, so you can see if there is any impact on swapping out barrels lengths with your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Red View Post
    Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't.
    ^^^^Thats not true. If the Barrel length changes the velocity will change.

Ando is right. You NEED to re chrono.

Slightly off topic, but kind of on, I wondered about this in regards to dual paint source markers like the DAM or newish Spyder. Do they make people chrono for both types of paint to make sure they are legal? With the variations in paints today, I find it hard to believe that FS rounds and standard paint will chrono at the same rates.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Slightly off topic, but kind of on, I wondered about this in regards to dual paint source markers like the DAM or newish Spyder. Do they make people chrono for both types of paint to make sure they are legal? With the variations in paints today, I find it hard to believe that FS rounds and standard paint will chrono at the same rates.
    that's a great point ^

if paint is around .682 and it is crono'd @ 300 FPS wouldn't a First Strike round (.690) crono higher?

sounds painful

They usually don't chrono the same. When it comes to multiple types of paint, barrels, and markers, it is still pretty much up to the refs and the players to keep track of the changes in rec ball or big games.

It's possible to find different combinations of bore, porting, and length that will chrono the same with the same paint, but when the paint diameter changes, so will the velocity. That should make the difference between any two varying projectiles change as well. So, yes, it is possible to have different setups chrono the same, but no, you are not really in control of it. Ando had the short answer.

My Hammer 7 varied 30 fps higher with FSRs recently. Some larger paint could have made that difference smaller I think.

All of my FSRs have been 0.685-0.686. The stock Hammer 7 barrel is ~0.691. With fat paint, the paint should be going about the same speed as my FSRs, but I use a 0.686 back and shoot FSRs only in that one.
    Last edited by Spider-TW; 10-21-2013 at 09:13 AM.