Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: regulators

  1. #1

    regulators

    are they interchangable?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    900
    in what regards? on other guns or mags?

    the backs of classic mags? yes

    from classic to Emag/Xvalve/ReTro? no

    a standard aftermarket reg? yes?

    please elaborate on on your question so that people will know what you are talking about so that they can help you better.

  3. #3
    sorry, can't think straight, working too many hours. what i meant to ask was are hpa tank regulators interchangable?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,491
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    sorry, can't think straight, working too many hours. what i meant to ask was are hpa tank regulators interchangable?
    All modern regs are interchangeable. There were some older ones that weren't, but most should be past their lifespan or rapidly approaching it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    900
    any screw in tank regs are easily interchangeable. if you have a PE and want to switch to a Ninja, or something like that, then unscrew and screw.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    All modern regs are interchangeable. There were some older ones that weren't, but most should be past their lifespan or rapidly approaching it.
    This, but also to add (which no-one else has brought up) it is possible to put a 3k reg on a 4500 tank- Don't do that, it's bad. Always make sure the tank matches the reg pressure, If you must mix and match in a pinch, never overfill your lowest rating, and never let someone who is not yourself fill that tank.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Drix View Post
    This, but also to add (which no-one else has brought up) it is possible to put a 3k reg on a 4500 tank- Don't do that, it's bad. Always make sure the tank matches the reg pressure, If you must mix and match in a pinch, never overfill your lowest rating, and never let someone who is not yourself fill that tank.
    Switch that. Ok to put 3k on a 4500 tank. Don't put a 4500 reg on a 3k rated tank.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Switch that. Ok to put 3k on a 4500 tank. Don't put a 4500 reg on a 3k rated tank.
    I think the best statement there is to add not to put more than 3k of pressure into that tank.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,491
    Whoever is filling the tank should be checking the reg. All regs are marked with max PSI.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    900
    better said: put a 3K reg on a 3K tank and a 4.5K reg on a 4.5 tank. don't try to mix and match. that can be an accident waiting to happen.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Beaumont,Tx.
    Posts
    994
    I have a couple of questions to add: I have an old Nitro Duck tank with an adjustable reg, it's the one that used the ring cradle 92 ci x 3000 psi I think. The tank is past it's 15 year life so I'm wondering if there is a new same size tank out there I could get to use with reg from the old tank. If not I also have an old Max Flo reg ( not the one that screws into the bottle but the bottle screws into it like an on off Asa) the reg is low pressure and I want to convert it to high pressure... How?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    900
    2 different questions have two different answers...

    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner333 View Post
    I have a couple of questions to add: I have an old Nitro Duck tank with an adjustable reg, it's the one that used the ring cradle 92 ci x 3000 psi I think. The tank is past it's 15 year life so I'm wondering if there is a new same size tank out there I could get to use with reg from the old tank.
    the bad thing that NitroDuck tanks have is that PMS/Nitroduck used a different threading from other companies that produced HPA tanks. its 5/8ths where the world is 3/4ths or vice versa. so you may or may not be able to find a tank in hydro for that reg.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner333 View Post
    If not I also have an old Max Flo reg ( not the one that screws into the bottle but the bottle screws into it like an on off Asa) the reg is low pressure and I want to convert it to high pressure... How?
    i am not hugely familiar with the old Maxflos but i do know that you would have to change the main spring pack to go from low pressure to high. now, the bigger question is finding an HP spring pack for replacement. i'd look at I&I and some of the older stores that collected older parts like that.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Beaumont,Tx.
    Posts
    994
    The spring that is in it now is pretty stiff but it has a low pressure gauge on it. I guess the High pressure spring is even stiffer ?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Halifax, N.S., Canada
    Posts
    7,350
    Flatliner333:

    Its not just a spring that is needed. The smart parts manifold style regulators need a different manifold body and piston as well in order to change from low pressure to high pressure. The newer inline regulators needed just the front section that screwed into the manifold body and also the high pressure piston and spring, which made the change a bit easier and less expensive.

    The original manifold style regulators used unregulated bottles with left hand threads. The newer manifold style regulators used regulated bottles with standard ASA threads.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •