Thread: Marker coatings/ finishes, what should I get done?

Marker coatings/ finishes, what should I get done?

Need some input on coatings/ finishes for a marker I'm working on. What do you think I should do to finish off my marker.?
    Anno...
    Hydro-Dipped...
    Powder Coating...
    any other process...?
    I'm really looking for something that is going to last and not ware out. what are the pros/cons?

In my opinion it depends on what outcome you are looking for. I am a fan of all the finishes depending on the build. Recently I sent 2 guns out for powder coating because that finish fit my need and gave me the result I was looking for. I send out to anno to match previously annoed parts frequently since mags get parted very often. Big question is what parts do you have, what type of build is it overall, what type of play are you involved in most of the time ? As far as wear goes I believe powder coat is most likely the most durable but you cannot do splashes and such. Precision Powder Coat puts out some amazing finishes which I have and can attest to their durability, but they are not over the top splashes or fades like Caustic Customs does. Each has their own benefits and appeal, both good but different.

Powder coating was the way I was thinking of going as to in not really in to splash colours. The only thing I didn't like about the idea of powder coats is that I am un sure about the real sale value due to the fact of refinishing, can they be stripped? Does anyone know the life of Hydro dipping?

Powder coating can be removed and redone at any point. The parts are media blasted before coating so there will be no anno left if the PC is removed. What I have is very custom and I believe it only adds to the resale. I am unsure of the hydro dipping life.

i prefer to get my parts anodized, i usually just get solid colors so if i ever do want to sell parts it wont be some one-off type of finish...im sure you seen this already but hydro dipping looks pretty good also, and it can be redone https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...rbon-Fiber-MAG
    never tried powder coating but as you seen, kwik175 has some beautiful looking markers...as with everything, all the finishes will last as long as you take care of it.

A guy I work with does Hydro. The dip is a VERY thin film. It then needs to be clear coated. It's all in what type clear coat is used. Nice patterns and color options,I'm not sure about the clear coat.
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

I can clear up a few questions for you.

I in fact did do a pair of Kwik175s markers and they came out stunning. Powder coating is VERY durable, it is actually more of a protective coating than anodizing or hydro dipping is. Anodizing in reality is just sealing aluminum and dying it. That leaves you open to scratches in the metal. It is a great choice if you want something like splashes, acid washes, or fades...outside of that though its the same thing everyone else has and the colors are pretty limited as well as finish choices (polished or dust). Hydro dipping is the least durable as 98-99% of people use automotive grade paint and clears with it, which means it is easy to scratch and will chip off with any abuse, however you do get some wicked patterns like wood grain, carbon, plaid, etc.

Powder coating in my opinion is the best option out there for something custom, you have an insane choice of colors and finishes available to you (including TRUE white and TRUE black) with effects that just plain are not possible with ano or hydro dipping. It can still be laser engraved if you wanted something like that after the fact. The only downside with powder coating is its an external coating only. Which is not really a problem for someone that pays very close attention to what they are doing and knows how a marker fits and the tolerances involved. Its also worth mentioning that powder coating can be applied to ANY metal that can withstand 350* which is pretty much everything that a marker could be made out of (aside from brass markers soldered together)

For reference on things that can be done with powder see the below pictures

Kwiks markers

Custom chameleon flake

Custom purple flake that only shows in the sun

Other markers