Thread: Removing front grip screws

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Removing front grip screws

So the cheap ULE automags arrived. As expected, rust everywhere, but I was really surprised at how good the ULE bodies actually looked.

Problem: I cannot get the front grip frame screw off.

I actually sawed a slot into the front grip frame to stick a piece of metal or something in to get more leverage as the hex parts are partially stripped, but anything I stick in there to try to turn the screw either breaks or bends. That's set that screw is. I'm suspecting rust or something.

Any ideas, hopefully which don't involve destroying the CF grip frame?
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Buy an easy out kit or drill out the screw there's YouTube vids on how to use easy outs hope that helps a lil bit

soak it over night or for couple of days, see if that might loosen up the rust. I had the same deal, could not fit an easy out in there just no room. I tried to jb weld, did not hold could not break loose. what I ended up doing is filing the head of the screw completely off, it let me take the frame off, had enough of screw left that I put a vice wrench and finally busted loose.

in addition to the mentioned above.

you can take a dremel and slot the screw, then using a regular screw driver to unscrew it.

also, pics...

Quote Originally Posted by C_losjoker View Post
    what I ended up doing is filing the head of the screw completely off, it let me take the frame off, had enough of screw left that I put a vice wrench and finally busted loose.
    Sounds like you are halfway there anyway.

Yeah, I meant to say that I had filed a slot in the front grip frame *screw* and tried to get it off there, and anything I managed to fit in there broke, bent, or didn't budge it. There's not enough space in there to get leverage.

I'll probably have to go ahead and file the cap off. Annoying...

Here's one that I haven't started taking apart yet.

Pretty good condition, should clean up nicely. Some annoyances with their specific configuration though (no QD or macroline is not cool).

They probably got them as a field package from AGD. A field I used to work at a long time ago got a couple rental's as a package from AGD and they were set up vertical the same way with no quick disconnect. We installed QD's so we could actually clean the valves without taking off the body/grip/etc. If I had to guess the field that sold them were too lazy to clean them. Just a thought.