Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New ULE Bodies? How'd we all miss this?

Goayboy,

So how would you have the feedneck and barrel stay on, pressing them in? That's how everyone was doing them, until customers were having hell of a time getting them off. If that is how BT is doing them I don't they it's better, just cheaper. I'd think less time milling equal less cost for the company but same mark up more money.

Quote Originally Posted by C_losjoker View Post
    So how would you have the feedneck and barrel stay on, pressing them in? That's how everyone was doing them, until customers were having hell of a time getting them off. If that is how BT is doing them I don't they it's better, just cheaper. I'd think less time milling equal less cost for the company but same mark up more money.
    The BT feedneck is basically a picatinny accessory. It's very solid yet easy to completely remove and swap out for the spring feed or a Rip Clip. I really like it; only problems are it's right feed; no vertical or warp feed options.

Barrels you have options. I'd go with a plastic mag2cocker adapter if you want something threaded, and if you were clever, you produce multiple threaded adapters for different barrel types.

Again, if their intent was to make this an affordable entry into aluminum bodies, that's fine... We'll have to see how affordable these are, and how they accomplished it exactly...
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    You're sort of missing/confusing multiple points.
    I'm not confusing anything. You named feednecks and threaded bodies as legacy design flaws. I'm pointing out that just because you have some interesting viewpoints regarding them, doesn't make them design flaws.

Interesting. I thought I'd be the one bringing these to market.
    These were originally designed for a friend/ local field owner to upgrade his rental fleet to Automags. They're good bodies for the price point we planned to sell them at, not sure what GHPB is going to sell them for.

Here's mine.

Just tell me how much($) and when.Then I'll post a review/opinion.Damn I'm a Mag Whore and this is a new product. Advertising could have been better,and AO would be my chose of launching point(just because we are Automag!). But I'll give a new body a shot,WTH I can't seem to find a Daralla. Lets give gearhead a chance, then offer [B]USEFUL[/B] comments so they can see how things can go. And if we can't add Useful ideas we all need to shut up including myself!
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

True. Any way to get the price point down on what looks like a new age mag to the general folk could be good.

anything to generate more interest in automags is useful.

If the "high end" model with the nice feedneck is around $85 (the low-end of a used ULE pricerange) I will concede that this product has its place on the market, otherwise I just can't see it.

My big issue with it is the feedneck. Welding is a way to bring down costs, but it seems like a copout, and the "hide the flaws with plastic" routine is tired. Even if you get over the looks it, it's still a very tall feedneck, like the old stovepipes of the late 90s and early 2000s... Those were a necessity with old loader technology and higher BPS caps, and while some people still like them, it's pretty clear that most people these days would rather go with the lowest profile possible for their feedneck, and what's being offered here is far from it.

with a slightly better look, they look cheap to me(yeah i know, bashing products that do the community good). there is nothing to them(which is good because of the expensive), but it seems that at least some thought could have been put forth to at least do something to the esthetics of it. sure, its no Dallara and it wasn't supposed to be, but still, i think we could asked for more than a tube, with a plastic 90* for the feedneck.

Still bring yours out, like everyone said. Having more options is never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGgot View Post
    Interesting. I thought I'd be the one bringing these to market.
    These were originally designed for a friend/ local field owner to upgrade his rental fleet to Automags. They're good bodies for the price point we planned to sell them at, not sure what GHPB is going to sell them for.

Here's mine.

Still bring yours out, like everyone said. Having more options is never a bad thing.
    I was going to be buying these from the person that is making these for GHPB (with my friend, who these were originally made for, as the middle man). They're the exact same product. I will only move forward with the deal if GHPB's markup is absurd.

As someone said, same thing as a phantom feedneck. A and those seem to do just fine with everyone, don't hear people complain about the feedneck on those. If the price for this body with neck or no neck of your choice is below ule, this is going to be a great thing for us. I myself don't think the plastic around the neck is that bad, of course I look at function and cost over looks because all my markers will get used.

Seems they're being made by CCI... Why not the newer style feedneck with the stockfeed option?

I actually like the look of the body. Sort of a No-Hump ULE. The plastic bugs me, but you could always remove it and go with a powder coat instead of anno. Would nice to see a raw body made available since we MAG folk are going to change everything anyway.

Unfortunately, there isn't a big enough Confidentiality Agreement to cover forums on the internet, so much of the speculation on this and other threads will not be addressed.

As on several (not all) of our products, the Helios has been touched by many hands behind the scenes. We strive to bring quality and affordability to our customers without making many mistakes, and we are blessed that we have several company owners and players across the U.S. who are willing to work with us on developing projects. We are a small company seeking stability, longevity and profitability in a wildly unpredictable market and so yes, we absolutely do work closely with companies and individuals who have incredible stability, longevity and (we hope) profitability in our industry.

The Helios Automag body is a Gearheadz Paintball, LLC product line and we are proud to have it under our company name. At this time there are not plans to wholesale this product to other retailers. Any retailer interested in resale of this or any other Gearheadz product can always contact me at c.duvall@gearheadzpaintball.com to see if that is an available option, but as of the time of this writing the Helios is not slated for distribution beyond the Gearheadz Paintball showroom and website.

I apologize for any misinformation, and encourage anyone with questions about the Helios to contact our shop directly by e-mail (info@gearheadzpaintball.com) or by phone (503)547-0888 or by stopping by our showroom in Hillsboro, Oregon.

A product FAQ should be up and available later today, along with pricing. As soon as pricing is officially announced the Helios bodies will be available for sale in our showroom, and I expect them to be available on our online pro-store no later than Friday.

nope, I don't agree. I like that both sides are round smooth lines all the way down. looking at the video, body does not look all that bad on there. if the price is lower than the AGD ule or any other body out there, and you were wanting to give people options id say mission accomplished. yeah the plastic sleeve is not looking the best and dual detents would be better, but would doing that add to the price?
    Reasonable minds can disagree

I don't see what is so essential about the low cost argument other than it is a way of saying "I wouldn't pay a lot for it because I don't think it is that great", maybe I am wrong, but that was my instinctual reaction to the price point argument. Since this new design is most like the ule body in appearance the price point makes even less sense when you can find used ule bodies in good shape from 100-120 with and without clamping feednecks.

To echo what others have said, I don't see why switching to ccm threads for the feednecks and cocker threads for the detents is a good idea. I suppose finding compatible necks/detents would be no more difficult than angel threaded variants but in the same thought I don't understand why the change?

And the plastic covering instead of anno? What's with that?

I don't have the will to argue every observation or question I have raised because I rarely invest my ego in my opinions but for what it's worth (my guess is less than two cents due to quantitative easing) I don't like the look of this body. Maybe that will change as often something will grow on me but right now that's where I am at.

Our FAQ is up and the listing on the web is live. The product is in our pro-shop HERE
    FAQ is under Resources on www.Gearheadzpaintball.com.

So

$80 for the body
    $12 for the detent
    $26 for the feedneck

Just my $.02 but I don't see these selling too well at those prices.

Still can't figure out the plastic around the feedneck, must have missed the post explaining why. Another round body? Good thing there are enough collectors out there to buy up the initial stock. Valve caps and aluminum classic valve bodies seem to be better products to get on the market.

Notables are:

* Threaded insert for the steel ring -- kind of an interesting idea
    * Stainless steel screw lug

Front grip frame screw hole in the pictures appears to be cut right through instead of a blind hole like on the AGD ULE's. Kind of looks like a stainless 10-32 weld nut, but there's probably a little more going on inside. Steel won't survive the anno process though...

Call me crazy, but I'd pay $80 for one that didn't have the detent cut or the feed neck welded on, and were hollowed in the chamber area to allow a TL adapter. And you know, if you wanted to carve a warp-left D-slot in the body instead, that'd be even better. Less work for you, less re-work for me...

The "value add" here is the CCM feed neck threading... which I don't really think adds that much value.

I think these should sell well at $80. As previously noted, CCI makes these and I'm pleased with mine, they are well made. One thing definitely worth mentioning is that while these accept cocker detents, only a couple of brands actually fit. Notice how the body is rounded where the detent screws in (AGD's bodies are flattened where the detent screws in), you need a very deep detent to reach all the way into the breech. I recommend buying their detent if you don't have several brands at home to try on.

Initially I said "$80, woohoo, they get it" - then I noticed it didn't include detents or even the simple/basic feedneck.

For that money just buy a used ULE.

well since tha feed necks are CCM threaded there is a very nice option for a CCM threaded adapter to use w/a BT spring feed:

looks like it wouldn't sit too high either:

nice lil option for either a pump or pistol mag.

Quote Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
    well since tha feed necks are CCM threaded there is a very nice option for a CCM threaded adapter to use w/a BT spring feed:

looks like it wouldn't sit too high either:

nice lil option for either a pump or pistol mag.
    OR, and Empire clamping feedneck, which IMO is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    OR, and Empire clamping feedneck, which IMO is pretty awesome.
    yeah those are pretty nice man!!! there is a lot of possibilities from this body…and this is their first Mag product…you can definitely expect some nice goodies in tha future from these guys…since they listen to what people are asking for.

i was reading thru this thread and man its got to be pretty intimidating to try and make a new Niche product since everyone wants something different. they did a good job yo!!!

Big Evil are you working on anything new right now?

Just bought one. The price is right IMO. Lets me put the final touches on a project that I didn't want to pour to much money into.

I have to say I was hoping for 80 or so with neck and detent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    Initially I said "$80, woohoo, they get it" - then I noticed it didn't include detents or even the simple/basic feedneck.

For that money just buy a used ULE.

Maybe, being that it' produced by CCI, a later model will use the new-style Phantom feedneck mount which allows for centerfeed or "true" stockclass (which this doesn't)?

I imagine with the feedneck stub manufacturing, tapping and welding out of the picture, it would be cheaper to producr - instead you're just drilling and tapping a single hole.

Quote Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
    Sits way higher than I would personally like.

In any event, can someone educate me on how these feednecks are attached on the CCM guns themselves? The green bit in this photo... that's screwed into the body, right?

Yes the green part is screwed into the body. It uses 2 screws, like a Spyder, then a feedneck threads into that.

I would have preferred this style of feedneck or a single screw type adaptor like CCI uses.

I'd rather wait it out and buy a used ULE body for about the same price.