Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New ULE Bodies? How'd we all miss this?

Quote Originally Posted by MANN View Post
    Sad thing is that tuna said ~10 years ago that ptp bodies were trash, and people never listened.
    Maybe they didn't listen because PTP had already built up over ten years worth of happy customers at that point in time (2003)? I've owned 50ish Micromags and never had a single one with the mythical "machining errors" that are brought up in nearly every thread that PTP is even mentioned. Frankly, I'm sick of hearing it, and it has caused me to spend less time on this forum than I used to.

I remember talk in and around '92 about PTP having problems with quality, that was from shop and field owners along with players.
    I do own a MM2K which worked pretty good after the LVL10 bolt was released.
    I have the latest MM body but have never tested it.
    One thing I always hated was the Benchmark grip frames.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    I have news for you, all of them have issues. Some of them just work better than others, some not at all.
    Mine has worked flawlessly from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGgot View Post
    Maybe they didn't listen because PTP had already built up over ten years worth of happy customers at that point in time (2003)? I've owned 50ish Micromags and never had a single one with the mythical "machining errors" that are brought up in nearly every thread that PTP is even mentioned. Frankly, I'm sick of hearing it, and it has caused me to spend less time on this forum than I used to.
    Agreed in full.

I know that some of the MM2K9s have issues, but it certainly isn't a majority of them that do. There were two issues with some of the 'cocker bodies, all of which were replaced gratis and in a timely manner considering the time spent adjusting the design, milling new bodies and anodizing them. In owning what amounts to over 100 Micromags (granted, some very briefly) the only issues I've had with original bodies were bolt stick with LVL10 bolts in markers that predate LVL10 by almost a decade, and some barrel threading issues which occurred circa 1992 when uniformity in "cocker threading" was at an all time low and PTPs tolerances were too tight to allow for some aftermarket barrels - owed probably to their close relationship with Bud Orr and WGP. I probably shouldn't mention how many products they developed in tandem with AGD, some marketed under their own brand and others sold by AGD directly.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I remember talk in and around '92 about PTP having problems with quality, that was from shop and field owners along with players.
    I do own a MM2K which worked pretty good after the LVL10 bolt was released.
    I have the latest MM body but have never tested it.
    One thing I always hated was the Benchmark grip frames.
    Let's consider the Gen 1 Micromag's competition at its price range: high end pump markers and the Autococker - which was barely usable out of the box, until you upgraded the LPR and Barrel. The first generation Micromag, and Automag obviously, was ahead of its time.

I truly understand the frustration with the MM2k9, but the issues with that body have given many the false impression that Gen 2, 3, and 4 Micromags were somehow inferior.

My point was that they have had a bad rep as long as I can remember, hence my statement
    "I remember talk in and around '92 about PTP having problems with quality, that was from shop and field owners along with players."
    so it really did not start with the MM2K9 bodies. I'm not bad mouthing PTP, I've personally had a pretty good experience with them. But I do remember explicitly what was being said about the company back then for very specific reasons that are not relevant now.

sorry, but can't this PTP talk be held in a different thread? i wouldn't mind some leeway in the post, but let's stick to gearheadz product, as that was what started this thread.

If new bodies are going to be milled... Can anyone confirm that the second run will have dual detents?

I got mine in today, threw it together and took a cell phone pic. . I did not buy the detent they were selling, because I had 3 new ones from different manufactures and all 3 are to short to function properly. I am wondering if this is going to be an issue finding ones to work. My feed neck is on it's ay from CCM ,they had them on sale so I picked up a few for different markers I have.
    First impression is good. On the black body, you really even cant tell there is a plastic cover on the feed neck. My only concern at this point is the detent.
    Name:  20131230_200404.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  20.5 KB

CP detents work best without the o-ring installed. Installing them this way may also work with other brands. If you are worried about retention on the detent apply a single drop of ultra light hold thread locker (usually purple or #22, check your preferred brand for the correct type). If we get to the point where we produce a 2nd run, the detent hole may be spotfaced to allow a wider range of detents, and for the CP's and other brands to be used with orings.

With the above question of whether dual detents will be available, this is also something we are looking at if/when we get into a second manufacturing run if there is enough demand.

...I'm sorry, where's the outcry of "bad tolerances" or "lack of testing", this is AO right?

we havnt bought any yet... just wait, it'll come.

So anyone buy one to give feedback? I would like to see what is under that plastic too.

Just purchased a Red one online. I will let you know how it looks when I receive it and will also post some pictures.

I have one on a project build that currently features a leaky classic valve. So I haven't been able to put any paint through it yet. I had the same issue with the detnets so I ordered a couple from Gearheadz and they fit fine. The finish on the anno is not super slick. It reminds me of a powder coat actually. The plastic cover for the feedneck is a non-issue IMO. You can only see it if you are looking for it. The only other thing that I have noticed is that it tends to want to keep my bolt spring when I pull the valve out. No idea why. It comes right out when I reach in a get a finger on it. I would say that so far, I have gotten what I paid for. I bought it as much to support the idea of modern lower end Mag stuff coming out as I did to fill a need.

Has anyone cut one of these for pump yet?

Just letting you folks all know that the Helios bodies are finally back in stock! We've got red and blue in right now, with Black on the way. I've got to get photos of the blue taken and up on the website.

We did listen to your feedback, and this run of bodies was spot-faced prior to anno to allow a wider range of cocker detents to be used. No price adjustment, still $79.95.

Looking forward to seeing that blue one. I had a chance to get a close up look at one of these bodies and they look great. The plastic weld cover blends with the body very well. Excited to see how the new processes works with most cocker detents.

Updated photo :)

I finally got some time to get the photo booth out today. Sorry for the delay, guys!

Name:  Helios2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  23.0 KB

Pretty Cool. It would be great to see some pics with the CCM feednecks screwed in. And the detents. Aren't the AC detents longer?

Quote Originally Posted by GHPBwoman View Post
    I finally got some time to get the photo booth out today. Sorry for the delay, guys!

Name:  Helios2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  23.0 KB
    are you able to release the STL file for that plastic part around the threading for the feedneck,
    so I can print the guys who buy one of those bodies a collet of color for them if they get a color besides black?

pics with ccm feedneck and detent

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    are you able to release the STL file for that plastic part around the threading for the feedneck,
    so I can print the guys who buy one of those bodies a collet of color for them if they get a color besides black?
    I think your best bet would be to email Mike at CCI

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - we're buried getting ready for SuperGame.

We do not have plans to release files for any of the parts associated with the Helios. We totally understand the desire to modify them (we love mods!), but the collar and all the other bits of the Helios are internally owned intellectual property.

From our Facebook page - this marker featuring the Helios body and a CCM threaded press-in feedneck is being added to the SuperGame raffle this weekend.

Attached Images Attached Images  

seeing that picture makes me wish I had waited for the next run that can take more types of detents