Odd pricing questions...
I've got two simple questions...
1) What is the standard percentage discount for an "open-box" item (i.e. one that is unused, but not in packaging or having been previously removed from packaging and fiddled with)?
2) What percentage of value is lost when a part is installed on a marker and then used, assuming it is in overall good condition but does show signs of use?
are we talking about paintball related items or real world? in paintball, it doesn't matter if its brand new, no one wants to pay full price even if its still in shrink wrap. i don't know what the "world" accepts as an "open box" item pricing. so with that...
1) i don't know of any standard discount but i would give something, if not just a couple of bucks. more if you wish to see it move quickly, but there is always someone that pays one price on one forum but a different one on another.
2) it shouldn't matter. if a store uses it as a display model or even just one that they themselves opened to check its contents, then why would it matter? if you want, i would see an 10% to maybe 25% discount if i had to but that's up to you.
OK let me clarify (you're right, I was to obscure).
Paintball part "X" is NEW, but I took it out of the box, broke the seal, showed customers, etc. I have nine sealed boxes and one open box... how much less than MSRP?
Paintball part "X" is USED, but it looks brand new, forget scratches it doesn't have finger prints even... (minimum percentage) how much less than MSRP?
Paintball part "X" is USED, it's not beat up but it has the wear consistent with being a moving part... (minimum percentage) how much less than MSRP?
I usually follow the simple 10, 15, 20 rule and make changes as necessary per customer needs.
1) 10% off because it's still new even if it is out if box and shown.
2) 15% for a "used" part
3) 20% for a used and worn item. This percentage can be changed if desired to make all parties copacetic.
Just use your best judgement and I'm sure you will be a ok.
i've actually seen people upset that the boxes weren't open showing the condition, so you can't win no matter what.
just an addendum to #3 - percentage dropped at the highest rate said item sold at, then add in to see where it goes down to on selling price.
L10(new but never used) = $70
I'm seeing the same thing for X-Valves... $250 new, $225 used with wear. I'd say "open box" should be a 10% discount, minimum, but 10% less than MSRP for well-used?
Originally Posted by Nobody
I still think a "like-new" X-Valve should/could fetch around $300.00. I mean really, how many are there available at any given time?! Like X-mag bodies, or DW bodies. A couple or few hundred ever made (or less in some cases).
The pricing on lvl 10s I can see dropping like that. I seem to have more lvl 10s than I can use, so rarity is less of an issue IMO.
Last edited by SummaryJudgement; 12-14-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Ummm why? AGD and Tuna still sell them brand new for $250... They have been selling used lately for <$200 which is more than fair IMO.
Originally Posted by SummaryJudgement
that's the difference of what you ant to sell them at, and what the market will buy/sell them for. plus, it also depends on how soon the seller wants to sell it. if a $200 Xvalve might sell in a couple of weeks, versus a $150 Xvalve being fought over.
personally, anytime i sell something, i have a price i would like to get for it, and a price i am willing to take for it. i don't play around with percentages. its pointless. the market doesn't care about percentage, its all about what people are willing to pay for it and finding someone that will pay that price.
Bingo. Perfect condition with all spares, maybe as high as $220. But normally they're priced at $180 to $200 depending on condition, which is fair.
Originally Posted by OPBN
I agree here too. Some items actually increase in value (after they're no longer manufactured, of course), and always things go in waves. At some point there might be 10 x-valves for sale on various forums. A few people want to move them quickly, and so they price them under everyone else. Then, for a period of time, they won't sell for anything much above those slashed prices. Some 3 months later, there may be only 2 for sale and a number of people have been posting WTB threads or actively seeking to pick one up. Market rebound.
Originally Posted by Nobody