Thread: Odd pricing questions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Odd pricing questions...

I've got two simple questions...

1) What is the standard percentage discount for an "open-box" item (i.e. one that is unused, but not in packaging or having been previously removed from packaging and fiddled with)?

2) What percentage of value is lost when a part is installed on a marker and then used, assuming it is in overall good condition but does show signs of use?

are we talking about paintball related items or real world? in paintball, it doesn't matter if its brand new, no one wants to pay full price even if its still in shrink wrap. i don't know what the "world" accepts as an "open box" item pricing. so with that...

1) i don't know of any standard discount but i would give something, if not just a couple of bucks. more if you wish to see it move quickly, but there is always someone that pays one price on one forum but a different one on another.

2) it shouldn't matter. if a store uses it as a display model or even just one that they themselves opened to check its contents, then why would it matter? if you want, i would see an 10% to maybe 25% discount if i had to but that's up to you.

OK let me clarify (you're right, I was to obscure).

Situation #1:
    Paintball part "X" is NEW, but I took it out of the box, broke the seal, showed customers, etc. I have nine sealed boxes and one open box... how much less than MSRP?

Situation #2:
    Paintball part "X" is USED, but it looks brand new, forget scratches it doesn't have finger prints even... (minimum percentage) how much less than MSRP?

Situation #3:
    Paintball part "X" is USED, it's not beat up but it has the wear consistent with being a moving part... (minimum percentage) how much less than MSRP?

I usually follow the simple 10, 15, 20 rule and make changes as necessary per customer needs.

1) 10% off because it's still new even if it is out if box and shown.
    2) 15% for a "used" part
    3) 20% for a used and worn item. This percentage can be changed if desired to make all parties copacetic.

Just use your best judgement and I'm sure you will be a ok.

yup.

i've actually seen people upset that the boxes weren't open showing the condition, so you can't win no matter what.

just an addendum to #3 - percentage dropped at the highest rate said item sold at, then add in to see where it goes down to on selling price.
    L10(new)= $80
    L10(new but never used) = $70
    L10(used)= $60ish

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    yup.

i've actually seen people upset that the boxes weren't open showing the condition, so you can't win no matter what.

just an addendum to #3 - percentage dropped at the highest rate said item sold at, then add in to see where it goes down to on selling price.
    L10(new)= $80
    L10(new but never used) = $70
    L10(used)= $60ish
    I'm seeing the same thing for X-Valves... $250 new, $225 used with wear. I'd say "open box" should be a 10% discount, minimum, but 10% less than MSRP for well-used?