Thread: Have you guys seen Coin?

Have you guys seen Coin?

I saw Coin a few weeks ago and was so impressed that I decided to order one. Since we're mostly like-minded in terms of gadgetry, I was wondering if you guys have seen it and what you think of it?

If you haven't already seen it and don't feel like blindly following a link, I'll briefly explain it. It's an electronic device, the size and shape of a credit card that stores the info for your credit cards, so you only have to carry it instead of all of your cards. It works with any magnetic strip card (credit/debit/gift/loyalty/access). It communicates with your phone via Bluetooth 4.0 to get the card information and for security features.

I thought it was a cool concept. Follow the link to watch a video on it and read the FAQs. Pretty much any concern you may want to ask me about it probably already covered in there.

The link is my personal referral link. So, if you decide to order one, use my link and I'll get credit toward mine.
    https://onlycoin.com/?referral=QXNuevnF

I received a pre order for a christmas present.

I was initially skeptical having heard of it before, but honestly, with the hannaford/target (and more I don't know about?_ info losses in recent history, and the general sketchyness of giving out your info to the local pizza place, or any online order, it's illogical to have any security concerns.

Having said that, I have one credit card. No use for it. I might sign up for more credit cards (home depot, walmart, etc). I am pretty anal about minimalzing the size of things in my pocket, so I might opt for the benefits of more credit cards without the negatives of wallet bulk.

you have to purchase a new coin when the battery dies.

that is the biggest thing that gets me.

I'm kind of surprised nobody else has given any feedback on this. I figured with all the tinkerers here, there'd be more geeks like me, drooling over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Wood View Post
    I received a pre order for a christmas present.

I was initially skeptical having heard of it before, but honestly, with the hannaford/target (and more I don't know about?_ info losses in recent history, and the general sketchyness of giving out your info to the local pizza place, or any online order, it's illogical to have any security concerns.

Having said that, I have one credit card. No use for it. I might sign up for more credit cards (home depot, walmart, etc). I am pretty anal about minimalzing the size of things in my pocket, so I might opt for the benefits of more credit cards without the negatives of wallet bulk.
    They seem to have security pretty well nailed down on these. They're no less secure than any other magnetic strip card. They're actually slightly more secure, because they don't have the full card number printed. That only stops the jerks who take pictures of your card at the airport when you're paying for wifi (I'm not bitter). It's not going to stop the people to steal your info with a swiper. But, they'd get your info from the actual card anyway.

Also, it's not just for credit cards. You can put gift cards and loyalty cards in it, too. So, if you travel a lot, like I do, you can put all of your airline, hotel, rental car, etc... loyalty cards in it and have them all readily available. It'll store any card with a magnetic strip. And I'm always forgetting about gift cards because I don't want to put them in my wallet. I'm super excited for this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Wood View Post
    you have to purchase a new coin when the battery dies.

that is the biggest thing that gets me.
    Yeah. Well, the way I look at the replacement cost is like any credit card that has an annual fee. Plus, you're paying for the convenience of only carrying a single card. I think the ~$50/year isn't really that bad when you consider the convenience of it.