Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 45

Thread: Successful X Valve anodizing?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sunny Florida- Woot!
    Posts
    4,742

    Successful X Valve anodizing?

    I have an X valve that I am waffling between getting reanodized or just stripping and keeping well polished. I know some have had issues getting X's properly anodized, I had one myself that was poorly done. Who here has had real success in having it done? Who did you use? Did they remove the Z lock pin? Pics?

  2. #2
    i had fx anodizing do mine. he just masked off the zlock pin.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sunny Florida- Woot!
    Posts
    4,742
    Wow, that's really nice. Got a close up of the area? I'm not super concerned as even if I do have it anodized, will probably go with just polished clear.

  4. #4
    no. i can get some later tonight though. the only issue that i had was that i believe a stray piece of masking got on the valve when the z lock pin was masked and left an unanodized spot on the underside of the valve by the z lock pin.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Maine, New York
    Posts
    1,175
    Caustic Customs did mine in polished clear. No issues whatsoever:


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sunny Florida- Woot!
    Posts
    4,742
    Quote Originally Posted by tolar250 View Post
    no. i can get some later tonight though. the only issue that i had was that i believe a stray piece of masking got on the valve when the z lock pin was masked and left an unanodized spot on the underside of the valve by the z lock pin.
    Exactly what I saw on the valve that passed through here. I also think the stripping caused the halves to screw tighter together, so the Z lock pin actually showed making it worse.

    On a side note, WTH haven't I seen either of these in MOTM?

  7. #7
    Curious. What hardline are you using that works with CCM air fittings?
    Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    you can have it. I dont buy the porn, I just watch it

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Beaumont,Tx.
    Posts
    1,022
    On a side note, WTH haven't I seen either of these in MOTM?[/QUOTE]

    ^This X 2

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    triple mag shop.
    Posts
    3,192
    caustic did this number.

    goes in here.

    did the valve and palmers micro rock.


    both guns are flawless. in looks and function.
    the leaner Z ripps.
    My sydarm weighs less than yours!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Maine, New York
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post

    On a side note, WTH haven't I seen either of these in MOTM?
    I was waiting to snap a better picture of the gun...even though it looks pretty good in the photo above, it really doesn't "pop" like it should.

    Quote Originally Posted by PBLife View Post
    Curious. What hardline are you using that works with CCM air fittings?
    I used 1/4"OD 6061 aluminum tubing with awall thickness of .049", which is rated at 3600psi.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    #1 Buck Adams fan
    Posts
    7,919
    Quote Originally Posted by splat15k View Post
    caustic customs did mine in polished clear. No issues whatsoever:


    so that one is yours!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Maine, New York
    Posts
    1,175
    Haha, yes sir! I saw that you commented on Caustic's FB page when he posted the ano pics. I wanted to reveal it on BEO once I got off my butt and took some quality pictures.



    OPBN, I forgot to mention/confirm this: Caustic masks off the z-pin.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    triple mag shop.
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by splat15k View Post

    OPBN, I forgot to mention/confirm this: Caustic masks off the z-pin.
    yes that is correct and it leaves a very small amount of aluminum exposed around the pin of course can not be seen in a standard channel of a rail or unibody.
    a SFL it will be seen.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sunny Florida- Woot!
    Posts
    4,742
    I know Caustic puts out some great stuff, but I just can't come up off the money. I'll be going with something very plain on this, mainly clear and gun metal grey, so should be an easy job for someone.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    triple mag shop.
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I know Caustic puts out some great stuff, but I just can't come up off the money. I'll be going with something very plain on this, mainly clear and gun metal grey, so should be an easy job for someone.
    yeah that is understandable.

  16. #16
    What rail is on the z frame?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,229
    I believe that's an FBM Thorn drop? I think they called it "stiletto" style.

  18. #18
    Not the drop rail, the automag rail. But yes I think you are right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    I believe that's an FBM Thorn drop? I think they called it "stiletto" style.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sunny Florida- Woot!
    Posts
    4,742
    Quote Originally Posted by C_losjoker View Post
    Not the drop rail, the automag rail. But yes I think you are right.
    Dallara body and rail.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    triple mag shop.
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Dallara body and rail.
    correct.
    I would say if im using a dallara body, ill prolly find the rail to go with it.

  21. #21
    I used 1/4"OD 6061 aluminum tubing with awall thickness of .049", which is rated at 3600psi....

    Where did you get the tubing from?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Maine, New York
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by PBLife View Post
    I used 1/4"OD 6061 aluminum tubing with awall thickness of .049", which is rated at 3600psi....

    Where did you get the tubing from?
    McMaster Carr

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    #1 Buck Adams fan
    Posts
    7,919
    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I know Caustic puts out some great stuff, but I just can't come up off the money. I'll be going with something very plain on this, mainly clear and gun metal grey, so should be an easy job for someone.
    Ive dealt with just about everyone out there for anno over the years.. and even though Caustic is expensive he is the only one that I trust with any of my parts nowadays.

    Not a commentary on anyone else in particular*

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    #1 Buck Adams fan
    Posts
    7,919
    Quote Originally Posted by splat15k View Post
    Haha, yes sir! I saw that you commented on Caustic's FB page when he posted the ano pics. I wanted to reveal it on BEO once I got off my butt and took some quality pictures.

    One day I want to send him my Etac to do that very anno to!

  25. #25
    Wow, what a PERFECT blend of old and new. Did you mod the rail yourself?

    Quote Originally Posted by splat15k View Post
    Caustic Customs did mine in polished clear. No issues whatsoever:


  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I know Caustic puts out some great stuff, but I just can't come up off the money. I'll be going with something very plain on this, mainly clear and gun metal grey, so should be an easy job for someone.
    His prices for single color weren't that bad when I had him do stuff. I think I paid $100 to have 6 parts polished then clear anodized.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Maine, New York
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by robertreed711 View Post
    Wow, what a PERFECT blend of old and new. Did you mod the rail yourself?
    Thanks for the kind words; that is exactly what I was aiming for: blending old and new.

    Luke made the mods to the rail. Started out as a stock emag rail and then it was shortened to AM/MM length, ULE'd, wings milled off but keeping the proper width for the sight rail, and the front sides of the rail were milled down to remove the emag jewel. Lots of processes.

    I modded the trashcan ASA myself though.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sunny Florida- Woot!
    Posts
    4,742
    Quote Originally Posted by lancecst View Post
    His prices for single color weren't that bad when I had him do stuff. I think I paid $100 to have 6 parts polished then clear anodized.
    That's not bad at all. I'll need to contact him then.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    2,508
    Quote Originally Posted by splat15k View Post
    Caustic Customs did mine in polished clear. No issues whatsoever:



    Bravo sir. This is a fantastic marker, and I applaud your vision for it.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    799
    Why is anybody afraid to remove the z lock pin? It's a roll pin, just squeeze it gently and it slides right out.
    Very nice examples of Caustics anno, I have anno envie.
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •