Thread: tuning with scuba

tuning with scuba

so my plan to use my scuba hooked to my mag via remote is a bad idea? I cant fill over 1k so that was the plan... how can one get over 1k reasonably? I dont want to hurt my marker. I cant fill over 1k and going to the shop is a far drive one way. could i use a set of regs to bring down the pressure?

You mean the scuba has less than 1000psi in it, so it can't fill your bottle over 1000psi? Or do you mean that your tank can't give you 1000psi output from its regulator?

The mag valve can actually handle a very high pressure. That wouldn't be a problem. The problem would be the air lines going to the valve. You need the proper rated lines and fittings. The other problem you will run into if the scuba has more than 1000psi of unregulated air in it, is that the reactivity will be insane. The higher the pressure in the scuba, the greater the amount of reactive force put on the trigger.

If you have an inline regulator that can handle a high input pressure, you can regulate the output down to a stable usable value. Just connect the scuba to your tank. It will then use the tank regulator and be as if the paintball tank has a much larger volume.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    You mean the scuba has less than 1000psi in it, so it can't fill your bottle over 1000psi? Or do you mean that your tank can't give you 1000psi output from its regulator?
    I guess the reg since i can fill to 1k. How can i be for sure and is it a option to change it where i can get over 1k?

The mag valve can actually handle a very high pressure. That wouldn't be a problem. The problem would be the air lines going to the valve. You need the proper rated lines and fittings. The other problem you will run into if the scuba has more than 1000psi of unregulated air in it, is that the reactivity will be insane. The higher the pressure in the scuba, the greater the amount of reactive force put on the trigger.
    I have macro line on it way from macro line guy and i was going to use a remote hose from tank to marker???

If you have an inline regulator that can handle a high input pressure, you can regulate the output down to a stable usable value. Just connect the scuba to your tank. It will then use the tank regulator and be as if the paintball tank has a much larger volume.
    so just run the SHP through a reg?

may seem dumb questions but if you dont know they arent dumb lol, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by RT Lover View Post
    I guess the reg since i can fill to 1k. How can i be for sure and is it a option to change it where i can get over 1k?
    Some regulators can be shimmed to give a higher output pressure.

I have macro line on it way from macro line guy and i was going to use a remote hose from tank to marker???
    A macro line from a regulated tank to your marker is fine. A remote macro line from your scuba is a bad idea. Macro line is designed for low pressures coming from the tank regulators but not for the higher unregulated pressures that may come from the scuba tank. It would be safer to get the proper high pressure steel braided hose to connect the scuba output to anything.

so just run the SHP through a reg?
    That would be the safest.

Some regulators can be shimmed to give a higher output pressure.

A macro line from a regulated tank to your marker is fine. A remote macro line from your scuba is a bad idea. Macro line is designed for low pressures coming from the tank regulators but not for the higher unregulated pressures that may come from the scuba tank. It would be safer to get the proper high pressure steel braided hose to connect the scuba output to anything.

That would be the safest.
    I have a smaller luxfer, how can tell what options I have and who and where can I get the parts....what would be a boot fill level to go for?

so my plan to use my scuba hooked to my mag via remote is a bad idea? I cant fill over 1k so that was the plan... how can one get over 1k reasonably? I dont want to hurt my marker. I cant fill over 1k and going to the shop is a far drive one way. could i use a set of regs to bring down the pressure?
    Your filled tank will have at least 3000 psi. What you need is volume. Which is why you are looking at a scuba tank. Your scuba will have different outputs. I have had 3000 and 2200 psi output tanks ( there might be others also). Mags usually will operate at about 800 psi, but function best at 1000-1100. I have seen videos with mags running close to 3000 psi.
    If you are concerned, you should probably invest in a high pressure regulator and reduce your scuba output to 800-1000psi

I have a smaller luxfer, how can tell what options I have and who and where can I get the parts....what would be a boot fill level to go for?
    Luxfer is the bottle manufacturer. The regulator that is on the bottle is the important item.

dacor 3000 is what the reg says
    Last edited by RT Lover; 01-02-2014 at 02:38 PM.