Thread: Does anyone use inserts larger than .687

Does anyone use inserts larger than .687

So I'm going back and forth about buying a few stainless inserts or getting a whole kit. Does anyone use inserts larger then .687? Here in California I've never needed to use anything larger so I'm just checking if there would be a market for the larger sizes.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    if i want to overbore, then yes.

LL5...If I didn't have a .694 insert, my day would have been ruined. The paint was so terrible and broke if you looked at it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    LL5...If I didn't have a .694 insert, my day would have been ruined. The paint was so terrible and broke if you looked at it wrong.
    This is the Only reason I have a full kit of stainless. For cold weather and junk paint

I needed a .688 at Decay of Nations, but the .687 would have sufficed.

i have not used over .685 in at least 5 years.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

I typically use a 0.693" or 0.696" for all of my guns except the pumps. With a pump I need the perfect fit for the paint to keep it from rolling out the barrel.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

You'll almost end up spending the price of a full kit if you buy specific inserts piece meal from retailers. Plus it is just nice to have a few bigger inserts for when you get wonky paint or if it gets super humid. At the end of a season our team loads up all the old paint left over from events and go to a BYOP field and just dump it. No point in trying to bore match paint from 4-5 different events from the last 6 months so I just slap the biggest insert I have.
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS

buddy of mine used a .691 2 weekends ago in his pump and only had a few roll outs, shooting premium. i always have .679-.693 id rather have it and not use it than not have it at all.

I have seen people desperate for something small for paint. I do not believe in underboring paint. I prefer a good fit, slight over bore. With winter paints, i have been using more .688 than anything else.

Exclamation

Why bother selling the "extra" inserts, you wont even get enough to make it worth driving to the Post Office ?

Quote Originally Posted by WholemealDrop View Post
    You'll almost end up spending the price of a full kit if you buy specific inserts piece meal from retailers. Plus it is just nice to have a few bigger inserts for when you get wonky paint or if it gets super humid. At the end of a season our team loads up all the old paint left over from events and go to a BYOP field and just dump it. No point in trying to bore match paint from 4-5 different events from the last 6 months so I just slap the biggest insert I have.
    im selling a bunch for cheap.
    in the misc section.

I remember when the norm was .689.

In this crappy winter cold and damp I find that trying to bore match is a useless futile gesture... All of my markers shoot much better over boring in these conditions. I have been using a .688 or .689 where I would normally use a .681 or 684.

I have also been to that occasional event where paint was ridiculously large and needed my +.689 range of inserts. You never know.

I have a .697 (steel) that I used to use when I had a Z body. The balls really had to have wiggle room in order to retain their backspin. I haven't used it once since I got rid of the z body, but I occasionally use a .693 on really hot/cold days (agree with BigEvil on bore matching being futile in winter or really humid summer days), or if I'm playing at the local indoor place with lower velocity requirements (mid 250s) and "aging" field paint.