Thread: Hawaii Mag Restoration

Cool Hawaii Mag Restoration

Back in day I used to live in Hawaii and currently my parents, sister and her husband all live on Maui so I have a deep love of the Islands. I saw that a paintball field in Hawaii was trying to sell off the renal automags they had been using for a few years, but I missed the first round of sales. A few weeks ago I found one of the MCB Hawaiian Rental mags and bought it from Mercenario. I told him I was going to restore it and he asked that I show him pictures and I thought I'd share those pictures with you guys.

Here is the original thread:

24 Hawaii ULE-Bodied Automags

Here is how it looked when I got it:

The main trigger screw was rusted and stripped so I had to take a dremel to it.

Finally got the parts apart and found a nice coating of Hawaiian mud.

Time for a much needed bath...

Put back together with a spare CF single trigger I had:

Cool

But why stop at just bringing this old girl back to life when I could breath new life into her...

I had a few parts laying around that needed to be put into action...

And the "Hawaiian Hyper" was born:

But the questions everyone wants to know is if she works... You tell me:

First Mode was 5BPS burst mode at a 20BPS set. The next mode was semi at 20BPS, but because of the stiff micro switch it's still too hard to walk. The last mode was full auto 20BPS. The reason it stopped working was because a spacer I had behind the noid had slipped out. I replaced it with a better option and she was back up and running.
    Last edited by Sk8ermog; 01-12-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Last step is to get a new coat of paint on this little Hula girl so here are some design options I'm looking into:

Still looking for the right design idea for the body and rail. Thinking of getting it Hydrodipped, but might look into other options. I will post up pictures once I get her painted.

Would love for it to look like this when it's done:

Last edited by Sk8ermog; 02-27-2014 at 05:40 AM.

That feeling when you get a stripped screw out...

Is that Hawaiian mud or "renal" mud ��

ef yeah man do it, this is a great restoration. show us what you got.
    good stuff man, I have never been to Hawaii but want to go.
    show me what im missing
    I love restos

I got a frame that apparently came off of one of these markers. Its pretty obvious that there was little to no maintenance done on these things for a very long time. The spring and ball in the safety had literally turned to rusty mud when I took it apart.

Nice resto.

Oh Yeah!
    Glad to see a great rescue. Yours looked to have even more gunk inside then either of mine and you still pulled it off.
    I got the same idea of the "Hawaiian shirt" look I just haven't found a pattern yet. But lookin goooood!
    Hey would you mind if we turned this into a "rental rescue" thread? I'd like to see the results of other saves. I wish I'd done the before and after pics. Got too caught up in the restore, then it the documentation dept.
    Last edited by Runamok; 01-12-2014 at 09:31 AM.
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

I'm wondering if you tried wd-40 before you hacked that frame.

Nice work man! :-) I cannot believe that it was even able to be saved after seeing all the gunk/dirt volcanic ash that was in there.I tried to get in on a couple but I'm glad I missed out after really getting a look at a few.I'm glad you saved her.:-) hope to see some color soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTrucker View Post
    I'm wondering if you tried wd-40 before you hacked that frame.
    lol, I thought the exact thing, I probably would have soaked it in a bath of WD40, I buy that stuff by the gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    lol, I thought the exact thing, I probably would have soaked it in a bath of WD40, I buy that stuff by the gallon.
    I would have used some WD40 if I felt the trigger screw had any hope of coming out without the flathead slit I cut in it. It was basically welded into the plastic of the grip. Also the trigger was super gunked up and was hard to pull so it was doomed from the start. I need the trigger for another project so I didn't feel bad about cutting the frame.

Thanks for the support guys. I had a lot of fun with this and always wanted to know how fast I could get a classic valve to shoot. Now I just need to put some paint through it.

Really like where your project is going,it be at neat to see what others are doing with theirs
    I managed to snag one if these also.I've been to Hawaii a few times and have seen the condition of autos there so I wasn't surprised how crusty and rusty it was.
    Like you I killed the trigger frame trying to remove the screw even after several days of soaking in Deep Creep.Once I did a cleaning I was amazed how nice the ULE body looked
    Think I got lucky,my on\off orings looked to be recently replaced.It cycled right out of the box too
    Thanks again to Brandon for passing these along,felt like I got a great deal myself

Thanks for the support guys. I had a lot of fun with this and always wanted to know how fast I could get a classic valve to shoot. Now I just need to put some paint through it.[/QUOTE]

Nicely done!

Yeah, I was curious too how a classic valve would hold up to 20bps...

MOTY3
    If you look around you may find a hydro dip pattern you like. There are some flower patterns in these links but might not be what your looking for.
    http://www.dip****zhydrographics.com/film.htm
    http://www.hydro-dip.com/all_patterns.htm