Thread: ULE body problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ULE body problem

I was putting my ULE body onto my rail and trigger frame and as I was tightening up the screw the little nub just broke off. The little cylinder on the bottom of the body that the screw goes into that holds the trigger frame, rail, and ULE body together in the front. I did not over tighten it and it looks like it broke cleanly off almost smooth. Is there a way to fix this (JB weld) ? Any suggestions of what might have been the problem? The body was room temp, I never crank down the screws because im to afraid I might strip one out, and I take care of my stuff.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

you might be able to JB weld it, but i would rather have it TiG'd welded, just to be sure that it stays attached. will probably cost you a little extra over the JB Weld, but actual welding will be stronger than any chemical bonding agent. if you choose to have it Tig'd back on, but can't find anyone who can tig, LMK. my good friend is a welder and in about 5 minutes it will be done. would need the body, bung and rail(just to make sure that the welding clears the relief of the rail), just to let you know.

laser weld would be the way to go its a lot smaller and doesn't spread the heat

enough meat for a helicoil?
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Unless you can find someone who is an expert at welding aluminum you are S.O.L.

Would agd take it back or fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    laser weld would be the way to go its a lot smaller and doesn't spread the heat
    its aluminium. heat will spread, but you don't need to lay into it if you know what you are doing. 2 quick stitches or a quick bead around the bung then a little sanding to take down the extra weld so it fits back into the rail. will be stronger than new.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Unless you can find someone who is an expert at welding aluminum you are S.O.L.
    i actually know an expert welder, Glenn, who has been certified Navy, underwater, Coast Guard, almost everything except Nuclear Reactors.

teichild: if anything, get pictures of it to stop any guessing here of what happened. get one of it together, apart and showing both fractured pieces. even if you didn't over tighten it and did everything correctly, aluminium can fracture. there is a grain to aluminium and it can break along those grains. whether its through pressurization(aircraft failures), or vibration(weak point in the casting of the slug/billet- aluminium all starts as a molten metal) or what ever.