Thread: VER / EM Ripper Frame Owners - Replacement Power / Eye Button Mod

VER / EM Ripper Frame Owners - Replacement Power / Eye Button Mod

For those of you that own one of my VER frames or a Logic EM Ripper frame that uses a UTB for the controller,... this is for you.

I was going to build a replacement PCB for the VER frame that removed the slide switch in the back and replaced it with two push buttons.

This would mean that the annoying act of sliding the switch up and down really quick to power the frame on (and the lack of an eye button), would be eliminated.

Im certain I can get the Logic EM Ripper frame to take a power button, not sure if there is enough space for the eye button though.

** This would mean that you would have to de-solder and solder AT LEAST two wires from your existing setup in either frame. I will not provide a service for this. I will provide color coded diagrams to walk you though the process.

** There will be NO PRE-ORDER for this mod. I will first test it in both frames to get everything working in my guns, then if you want one, you buy one and I ship one **

VER Owners - You would be getting a pre-made, pre-assembled PCB with two buttons on it
    EM Ripper Owners - You would be getting a pre-made, pre-assembled PCB with one (or two,... not sure yet) buttons, and an RGB LED on it

PRICE - AT MY COST PLUS SHIPPING AND INSURANCE....... ALL PARTS, LABOR FOR PCB, MATERIALS, WILL BE POSTED PUBLICLY

I will post pictures of the boards in the design phase later this weekend, and in a few weeks I will have the one ready for the VER to test.

Im making a few for my own guns,.... figured you all may want one as well

** This is a "see if there is any interest thread". Once there is a completed in stock item for sale, I will make a new thread in the dealer section **

Design Completed - 1/17/2014 - Prototype Cost = $83.93 shipped plus cost of buttons I already have
    Last edited by p8ntbal4me; 01-17-2014 at 12:59 PM.

if I can find my VER frame, I think I'd be down for this. I have a bunch of parts that I need to find after packing away stuff when I moved last year.

UPDATE

Finished the design - added to first post

Cost to prototype board only = $83

WIll this work with the non-push button UTBs also? I hate the membrane pads

I would be in for this.

The setup on all UTBs in the software is for push button.

There is a difference in the software programing on the end user side because based on installation, there is one less button. (hence 1-button and 2-button UTB)

Circuit wise, they are exactly the same (1 and 2 button UTB),.... which is why on the VER frame, its a nuisance.

This will work with the 2-button UTBs and the 1-button UTBs.

The only difference is how you would still program your board based on what version of the UTB you have installed:

Example for the VER owners (frame came with a 1 button UTB installed):

Turn the frame on:
    The way you have to now = slide the power switch up and down quickly.
    With the new two button board installed = push the top button once

Changing a fire mode:
    The way you have to now = Hold the trigger back, slide the power switch up and down quickly, release the trigger
    With the new two button board installed = Hold the trigger back, push the top button once, release the trigger

Changing a Setting:
    The way you have to now = slide the power switch up and leave it there until the LED blinks single red pulse, slide switch down
    With the new two button board installed = Push and hold the top button once until the LED blinks single red pulse, release button
    *** changing the value of a setting still works with the trigger as in all UTB versions **

Accepting a Setting:
    The way you have to now = slide the power switch up and down quickly.
    With the new two button board installed = push the top button once

If you own a VER Frame,.. you already know why this is a must have over the slide switch that the frame came with

Here is the better part of what this mod allows you to do: you can change out the 1-button UTB with a 2-button UTB and it will work without being re-flashed with new software. Because this added PCB comes with an eye button, you already have everything you need

ALSO: you could have your 1-button UTB re-flashed to use the 2-button software.....

THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH A MORLOCK

I might be interested in one for my VER.

i would be in for one for my ripper frame

Jai; it's very cool that you're doing this! That slider button is really the only knock on the VER and EM Ripper frames. I no longer have a VER (kind of wish I kept it now), but I still have the EM Ripper so please mark me down as interested in one conversion board. I would assume the prototype cost is higher than the production boards, right?

Yes,... you are correct.

When I was playing with the lead time of 26 days out,.. the cost per board in a run of 30 was $5.23 per board,.....

Edit: found today's quote on the buttons for the boards. Listed right now at $0.30 a piece
    so two for $0.60

Like I said,.... everything is at cost,.... what I pay is what you pay.
    Last edited by p8ntbal4me; 01-17-2014 at 04:35 PM.

I'd probably get one for my VER

UPDATE

This is definitely a lot more difficult than I thought.

I have to use a different switch than the ones I wanted to originally.

Which raises a new problem but maybe some of you will have better luck with it:

The raised button extension found on guns like the AGD E-Mag and WDP Angel iR3 are going to be needed for this application:
    Name:  b7d5ffc4527738a2fae82fed5b936a59.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  11.7 KB
    I dont want to buy a little plastic piece at 1.50 per unit,... rather buy a bulk bag and save some cash here.

Anyone want to help with this,... please feel free!

Any updates on this?