Thread: Looking for some info an lighter regulator body for a 68classic that I have

Looking for some info an lighter regulator body for a 68classic that I have

I have a valve body that is lighter that a standard automag valve body.
    Can anyone know anything about these.
    The one I have:
    • has no marking
    • the metal has a very light purple hue to it.
    • it has 8 vent holes on the inside part of the valve

Thanks for the help,

Rob

No way.... you have found it...
    the titanium automag valve is FOUND!

vent holes don't do anything.
    the purple hue is probably the gold plating that rubbed off
    no marking probably a one offer, or is old and has rubbed off, or it was polished at one point.

pictures?

I will try to get pictures up tonight.
    Might I have stumbled onto something?

You might have. An EXACT weight in oz would be very helpful

titanium isn't that big of a deal though. ,

I know, but Tom wants at least one back and if this is one... it's the first one we've found

Let me know what you think

Attached Images Attached Images   

Bob Long put out a reg body, as well as ANS and a couple others. its a nice find. the 8 holes, were a supposed idea that allowed the reg to recharge faster. but no matter how many holes you put it in it, it still has to pas through the on/off and valve body inlet.

Very interesting... I always assumed the "mythical Ti Automag" was a running joke, til I followed the links BT posted. I got curious and took a trip over to engineering toolbox. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/me...ties-d_50.html

Densities in kg/cubic meter:

Stainless: 7480 - 8000

Aluminum (7050 alloy): 2800

Titanium: 4500

So, assuming the volume of material is the same from one valve to the other... some quick back of the envelope math gives us...

Aluminum being %35 to %37.5 the density of stainless, should weigh 1.7 or 1.8 oz

Titanium being %56.25 to %60.16 the density of stainless, should weigh 2.756 to 2.948 oz

Now considering that the valve has eight holes instead of the one on the SS valve there is a minute amount of weight savings there too.

All signs seem to be pointing to Ti here. I'm really curious if this is one of AGD's valves, or the product of a decently skilled rogue machinist?

Did the AGD valves have eight holes or just the standard single hole?

I guess we will have to wait for Tom to weigh in on this... nudge nudge

it was called or from Diamond Labs. and Levi, look at my post above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Very interesting... I always assumed the "mythical Ti Automag" was a running joke, til I followed the links BT posted. I got curious and took a trip over to engineering toolbox. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/me...ties-d_50.html

Densities in kg/cubic meter:

Stainless: 7480 - 8000

Aluminum (7050 alloy): 2800

Titanium: 4500

So, assuming the volume of material is the same from one valve to the other... some quick back of the envelope math gives us...

Aluminum being %35 to %37.5 the density of stainless, should weigh 1.7 or 1.8 oz

Titanium being %56.25 to %60.16 the density of stainless, should weigh 2.756 to 2.948 oz

Now considering that the valve has eight holes instead of the one on the SS valve there is a minute amount of weight savings there too.

All signs seem to be pointing to Ti here. I'm really curious if this is one of AGD's valves, or the product of a decently skilled rogue machinist?

Did the AGD valves have eight holes or just the standard single hole?

I guess we will have to wait for Tom to weigh in on this... nudge nudge
    if im correct Mr. K never bought into the 8 hole mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    it was called or from Diamond Labs. and Levi, look at my post above yours.
    You're referring to this reg body right? http://www.baccipaintball.com/agd0278.html#

Let me clarify...

When I asked whether the AGD valves had eight holes, I was referring to the two dozen titanium valves, not the standard stainless valves.

KNM,

I'm sure you're right. It's my understanding that the extra holes have been proven to do exactly nothing for performance. Considering this, I would be very surprised if he had bought into it myself.

Still the weight looks to be about right for titanium, and its always a possibility that someone added the extra holes.

I thought titanium was supposed to be lighter than aluminum? XMT had discussed running a few parts in Ti for this reason. Rarely happens, but I agree with Nobody, looks like a Hurricane labs back that was stripped.

The TI I've messed with is not lighter than AL. I thought the point of the original TI parts was because Tom still didn't want to use AL at that point. So he tried TI because it is lighter than SS.

Although it does look like a hurricane half that has been stripped. The weight doesn't really match up. The hurricane half I sold was feather light compared to the SS counterpart. Also back in the day you used to be able to send your back half in for the 8 hole mod to different shops.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    The TI I've messed with is not lighter than AL. I thought the point of the original TI parts was because Tom still didn't want to use AL at that point. So he tried TI because it is lighter than SS.

Although it does look like a hurricane half that has been stripped. The weight doesn't really match up. The hurricane half I sold was feather light compared to the SS counterpart. Also back in the day you used to be able to send your back half in for the 8 hole mod to different shops.
    Yep, the weight suggests titanium here. Aluminum should weigh in somewhere around the 1.7 or 1.8 oz territory, and this most certainly does not.

This link: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/me...ties-d_50.html for anyone who wants to run the numbers themselves.

The plot thickens

I hate to say it... but after some google searching it appears that Diamond Labs made these reg bodies in both aluminum and titanium.

https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...cane-Regulator

As cool as it would be to have this be one of the missing 2 dozen, it doesn't appear to be the case.

Learn something new every day. But it is TI

So if the TI valves looked just like the SS and weight wasn't that much different, How would anyone know if they had one of the TI valves? Were they serial #'ed? I'd say TK knows what he's looking for, but how would we know? They gotta be somewhere.It'd be like your birthday,Christmas, and the lotto all at once to find one.
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

Thank you for the response on my post. Learned a lot today.

Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    So if the TI valves looked just like the SS and weight wasn't that much different, How would anyone know if they had one of the TI valves? Were they serial #'ed? I'd say TK knows what he's looking for, but how would we know? They gotta be somewhere.It'd be like your birthday,Christmas, and the lotto all at once to find one.
    The only way anyone would know would be to gut the valve and weigh it. They we're not intentionally shipped. That's the whole point. And also why none have been found yet. Out of the thousands of mags that were sold how many do you think were owned by someone that had a clue? Or owned multiple mags to maybe question why one valve weighs less than the other.

I have a light purple valve and its an 8 hole LABS. not sure if its anything special cas my friends and I all had them back in the day.

I've played with Mags for a long time and only started hearing about the mythical TI valve in the last year and a half. I though it was like a running joke. My luck I had one and was clueless. Still 20 of thousands are better odds then the lotto, and now I know what to look for. Yeah right! But you can always dream.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    The only way anyone would know would be to gut the valve and weigh it. They we're not intentionally shipped. That's the whole point. And also why none have been found yet. Out of the thousands of mags that were sold how many do you think were owned by someone that had a clue? Or owned multiple mags to maybe question why one valve weighs less than the other.
    I thought I remember reading that if you took a dremel to the valve that it would spark bright white vs steel's red like spark. I have about 4-5 classic valves in my gearbox that I'm half tempted to take my dremel to, but it makes me nervous.

Here is some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_testing

Also looks like someone else had the same question you did and took a dremel to a Diamond Lab's valve body.

Last edited by Sk8ermog; 01-26-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Weight should be as good indicator and not destroy/mar the valve.

The reason people think titanium is lighter than aluminum is because you can use less metal and still retain greater structural strength than with aluminum. The end result is a lighter object when using titanium. This doesn't work with items that are required to be an identical size for all aspects.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.