Thread: Loopy Angel_Mag

Loopy Angel_Mag

I'm actually liking this bizarre configuration so far. The upside down drop puts the tank an a place that rests against my forearm making it easy to aim and steady at arms length. Should be a nice run & gun configuration. Plus it draws out the lines of the Angel frame and just "looks right" to me. The air line is not really working out where it is. Ideally I could pick up a reverse valve (or have this one tapped on the other side) and switch to a side ported ASA. The other problem I didn't foresee was the lack of a safety on this frame. Going to have to kajigger one up somehow. Any machinist (paid) volunteers?

Name:  loopyMag.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  49.7 KB

I like it.

That is very cool. What about getting an asa with a port on the left side and doing the line over the body to that side.

Is that a helios body?

Quote Originally Posted by C_losjoker View Post
    That is very cool. What about getting an asa with a port on the left side and doing the line over the body to that side.

Is that a helios body?
    Yes. I like the body so far.
    I may go the over body route as it's the easiest/cheapest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Syko89 View Post
    I like it.

^

Quote Originally Posted by Patron God of Pirates View Post
    Plus it draws out the lines of the Angel frame and just "looks right" to me. The air line is not really working out where it is. Ideally I could pick up a reverse valve (or have this one tapped on the other side) and switch to a side ported ASA.
    I LOVE this!

This is one of my guns...I was having trouble keeping the air line out of the way and then ran it like this and it's comfy...I think if you side tapped yours and ran it this way it would look even "righter";

that's definitely different. if you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    that's definitely different. if you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
    lol. Thanks mom.

What angel frame is it and how much work did you need to do to make it work. I think I want one to pneumag it.

Quote Originally Posted by C_losjoker View Post
    What angel frame is it and how much work did you need to do to make it work. I think I want one to pneumag it.
    It's a Space Frame. It didn't take too much work, just had to drill a new hole for the front screw. To make it work as a mech I had to cut off the back of the angel trigger and drill a hole for the sear rod. To go pneu you could probably keep the trigger intact. You'd need a mounting plate on the inside because the interior of the frame has no meat on it at all. The ram could be tricky as well. The top of the frame only has material on one side.

Name:  IR3 space frame.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  6.2 KB

MOTY3
    That frame is begging to be spiked out.

They called the "cutlass" frames for a reason - I think it's begging for a 3' long vertical stick feed. En garde!

You'd need a mounting plate on the inside because the interior of the frame has no meat on it at all. The ram could be tricky as well. The top of the frame only has material on one side.
    That would be my concern with trying to put a safety in there. Is there room for the detent ball and spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    That would be my concern with trying to put a safety in there. Is there room for the detent ball and spring?
    Eyeball test says no. But my eyeballs aren't qualified.

Eyeball test says no. But my eyeballs aren't qualified.
    Which trigger pivot point are you using? IR3s had three to choose from for a extra customization...

You could use the one all the way to the front or back for your axle, and use the opposite for a "pull-pin" safety - sort of a hybrid of the Benchmark safety assembly and the Emag power plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    Which trigger pivot point are you using? IR3s had three to choose from for a extra customization...

You could use the one all the way to the front or back for your axle, and use the opposite for a "pull-pin" safety - sort of a hybrid of the Benchmark safety assembly and the Emag power plug.
    Genius! I'm using the middle one so the first hole should work for that.

Looks cool mang! I like that angel frame. Any idea what why WDP designed it that way?

accessing memory banks:

back in 2000/2001, the powers that be thought that with the prevalence of electros, there were safety concerns over people cutting off trigger guards to put double triggers on guns or just having exposed triggers, for both electros and mechs allowing the guns to be fired even while having barrel plugs. if the trigger guard was removed and there was nothing protecting the trigger from accidentally being pushed/pulled from firing the gun while in the safety zones. so barrel plugs being illegal because they could be shot out and not under control(which goes more with bouncing electros) within a multiple string and full trigger guards OR any cut trigger guards being deemed illegal. so WDP and Brass Eagle made the Angel and Rainmaker with full hand guards. they were the only 2 to actually follow the full letter of the rules. somehow most people had laughed at how they looked and made just normal trigger guards around the trigger. so for about a year Angels came with the full hand guard and Rainmakers had started to die a slow but quiet death.

hope that explains it for you.

accessing memory banks:

back in 2000/2001, the powers that be thought that with the prevalence of electros, there were safety concerns over people cutting off trigger guards to put double triggers on guns or just having exposed triggers, for both electros and mechs allowing the guns to be fired even while having barrel plugs. if the trigger guard was removed and there was nothing protecting the trigger from accidentally being pushed/pulled from firing the gun while in the safety zones. so barrel plugs being illegal because they could be shot out and not under control(which goes more with bouncing electros) within a multiple string and full trigger guards OR any cut trigger guards being deemed illegal. so WDP and Brass Eagle made the Angel and Rainmaker with full hand guards. they were the only 2 to actually follow the full letter of the rules. somehow most people had laughed at how they looked and made just normal trigger guards around the trigger. so for about a year Angels came with the full hand guard and Rainmakers had started to die a slow but quiet death.

True... But not for Angel. That applies to the Rainmaker, several of the other BE blowbacks, and a few of the Bob Long blowbacks. Happened around '99, and it wasn't law, just a suggestion.

In 1999 WDP started making the LCD which had a unique 45 frame and a factory double trigger, eliminating the need to cut the guard (as many people did with pre-LCD Angels, the vast majority of which were factory single trigger and took true 45 panels). It wasn't until mid '02 that the IR3 was released, and the 90 degree Space Frame was primarily an answer to the issue of the time; everyone seemed to be shooting praying-mantis style with is tough with a 45 frame, but AGDs Z-grip solution was difficult to shot properly on the fly. With the adjustable trigger points and extra long swooped trigger on the "Cutlass" Space Frame, you can pull down rather than back on the trigger to fire - by hooking your fingers on the oversized guard, you effectively have a y-frame.

accessing memory banks:

Yep.

I think it is cool that they extended the trigger guard from an aesthetic perspective, but completely unnecessary. I have never owned or played with an electro from this era, were they not equipped with a safety mode or something that could have stopped them from firing? I had a cut trigger guard on my old mag a long time ago and didn't have any trouble with it going off unintentionally, especially with the safety on. But, I'll venture a guess that the story is much different when dealing with a sensitive micro-switch.

Quote Originally Posted by debruynda View Post
    Yep.

I think it is cool that they extended the trigger guard from an aesthetic perspective, but completely unnecessary. I have never owned or played with an electro from this era, were they not equipped with a safety mode or something that could have stopped them from firing? I had a cut trigger guard on my old mag a long time ago and didn't have any trouble with it going off unintentionally, especially with the safety on. But, I'll venture a guess that the story is much different when dealing with a sensitive micro-switch.
    At least the early electros had slide switches that were easy to set on or off. On the pushbutton electros you have to hold the button down for a second or two and wait for it to shutoff or startup. It's a pain and those triggers really do need a disconnect. I hate sneaking through the woods and having a twig get on my trigger and fire my marker for me.

I've often considered getting an IR3 CNC just for the body and frame, but I barely get along with the electros I have.

Quote Originally Posted by debruynda View Post
    Yep.

Again, the trigger guard served a function.

Also, the board used an optical sensor rather than a microswitch. Your "safety" is the power switch on the back of the gun, a small on/off toggle. When the marker boots up, it is in "safe mode", and can be switched into live-fire mode by holding down a button on the back of the frame for a few seconds. When it is booted with the trigger held, you enter "programming mode". The IR3 was supposed to be the Cadillac of paintball markers; it had more features than anything before it (and many after it), even with the bogus infrared tech promises.