Thread: Dye Single Trigger Grip Screws

Dye Single Trigger Grip Screws

Name:  DSC_6024.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  31.9 KBName:  DSC_6031.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  24.3 KB

My friend acquired this Dye chrome single trigger frame as part of a trade and since he already had one just like it he passed it along to me. Unfortunately it did not come with grip screws. In the past I've found that most grip screws have been fairly universal or at least easy enough to pick up at a hardware store. This size screw is larger than what I typically see in a grip frame and I can't seem to find a screw that fits. An 8-32 is too small and a 10-32 is too big. A metric 4 is too small and a metric 5 is too big. I spent about 30min at the local hardware store trying various thread sizes (coarse to fine, etc) to fit at no avail. The guy at the local pro-shop said he used to see them back in the day and searched his parts but came up empty. Any one know what size this screw might be or have spares? Any help would be appreciated.

that's very odd. they should be american/standard threads not metric, unless someone who had it before you rethreaded it. but what, that's the question. the only thing i could think of is you happened to grab a mislabeled 8-32 screw. most grips are either 6-32 or 8-32, so this is very weird.

you can, at last chance, to rethread it for a 8-32 or heli-coil it for 6-32 or 8-32. sorry i couldn't be much more help.

They are 10/32... at least both of my frames are.

I actually tried threading a 10-32 with a driver but seemed to need entirely too much force and I was worried I'd strip it out. A this point I guess if I need to rethread it when I'm done, that's what I'll have to do. Thanks I'll try the 10-32 and use a hammer if need be.

previous owner may have done cross-threaded it for you.

i'm thinking of doing this to a 32 degree's one I have so I can use actual 1911 grips.-----http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colt-1911-Grip-Screw-Bushing-Tap-and-Bushings-/370992138071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5660da c757

Quote Originally Posted by fstop_22 View Post
    I actually tried threading a 10-32 with a driver but seemed to need entirely too much force and I was worried I'd strip it out. A this point I guess if I need to rethread it when I'm done, that's what I'll have to do. Thanks I'll try the 10-32 and use a hammer if need be.
    Get a 10-32 tap and run it through the threads. Like Vintage said, maybe someone cross threaded it. I've seen it done a fair amount on the bottom line threads.

The frame was in un-used condition when I got it and the threads looks good. I went back to the hardware store on the way to work today and picked up 4 10-32 screws to fit. The 2 bottom threads were fine (I was testing screws in the upper threads initially - never thought to try the bottom) they went in with no effort but the 2 upper threads were EXTREMELY tight (like driving a long screw through wood with out a pilot hole tight). I wish I'd seen PPBN's post before. That may have solved my problem. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Get a 10-32 tap and run it through the threads. Like Vintage said, maybe someone cross threaded it. I've seen it done a fair amount on the bottom line threads.
    What he said. A tap will clean everything up nicely.

could have been messed up at the factory or the chrome might have plugged the threads a little. definitely tap it.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    . definitely tap it.
    I will. First chance I get.

Dye might have not chased the top threads after plating it so, if you want a 3rd opinion, chase the threads with the tap. go slow and use quarter turns and back it back out(for every half turn, back it out a quarter turn to make sure that you remove the chips).