Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Mask?

Best Mask?

I am in the market for a new mask. I dont need the most expensive awesomeness, just a good mask. What does everyone recommend?

I recommend V-Force Profilers. Inexpensive, great field of view, great venting, and great if you happen to have a large head (which I do).

^ agree ^

I like my proto switch FS. Good protection. No fog issues. Bottoms are made of soft material so you get a few bounces. Excellent quick change lens system and shares lenses with the pro-axis. And it comes with a visor, which I personally like. I also have a proflex and like that for hot summer days because it breathes a little better, but the protection (specifically the ear protection) isn't nearly as good as with the switch.

There are definitely "better" masks out there, but they are also much more expensive.

Proto switch FS is my choice too.
    For the same reasons plus one : there's no problem with my glasses !

JT Proflex. Excellent build quality, can be had for a reasonable price, and covers your face a bit better than other masks.

I thoroughly enjoy the Proflex - you won't find a mask more comfortable or breathable. They are relatively cheap, too. As far as ear protection, you can buy 'hard ears' or 'revo ears', which both offer more safety than usual soft ears.

Of course, I really like the Flex 8, too..

JT all the way, either my hard shell spectra or either one of my proflexs depending on light conditions.

First a few questions.

Glasses?
    Sensitive to a chin shot?

For me with glasses my old flex's work great. I have also used a set of Dye I4's that fit very well but left a lot of face open. It was a situation I am comfortable with (played with just goggles for backyard ball for years) so I didn't mind.

JT Flex 7 or Grillz. I don't like the Profilers myself as their lenses are just too tall for my taste (I've used them for just over one year). But if you are willing to assemble something different, this is my recommendation:

Gotta love the Flents!

Vents predator. My wet dream mask as an 8th grader. Haha.

I used a JT spectra for years... and years. Bought a flex 8 for the wife. Nice mask for how cheap they are. But lense change/cleaning is typical spectra pain. And I had to add some soft ear protection to cover the bottom of the ears.

Now I'm using a Dye I4. Tiny tiny profile mask. And very quick and easy lense removal/cleaning. And actually with all the measurements I've taken comparing it to the others. They cover the same amount as either JT from a direct side shot. BUT they are so close to your face that from any downward angle shot they cover a lot less. Yet on the flipside. If your laying back there is less open for a shot to go up in to your mouth or nose like on the spectra. And yes. I have had that happen more than once.

Picked up a grillz used from a guy here on AO for a steal. Its for the wife. Great mask. Its really comparable to my I4. Can't say I like it more or less. It has a great look. And it is softer than the I4. But in the end I think they are about the same for overall function. Both super comfortable And weigh nothing.

Find what you like used for cheap and just put a new lense in it.

I love my Proto axis for protection, field of view, and simplicity of lense removal
    My Jt Flex feels like nothing is there, light and comfy as hell as long as you don't mind a paintball to the side of the face or forehead

Larger adult-sized head: V-Force Grill

Smaller head or carefree about jaw or double-chin protection: Sly Profit

I have had no problems with my Vforce Grill

Quote Originally Posted by sjrtk View Post
    First a few questions.

Glasses?
    Sensitive to a chin shot?
    Yes I've to wear corrective glasses, I can't wear lenses.

Many mask have not enough space to keep the glasse at their right withour squeezing or twiwting them.
    Some others have fog issues ethier on the glasses or on the sheild.

Added to the good protection for top and bottom of the face and sides of the head, this make the Proto switch FS the best solution for me.

Absolutely for problem for chin shots.

i was going to say eflexes (love mine) but if you need to wear glasses... grillz might be a good choice. I feel like they may have some extra room for your glasses

I never tried grillz.

All my friends have Proto, JT or Dye.

I like Grillz. However, there wasn't room for fans at the top. Some days, I just need fans, so I put them in a pair of JT flex 7s. The grillz seem to do just as good as the JTs with a thermal lens, but at sundown and rainy days I have to have fans around here.

I actually need a new mask, despite having an entire tote of them. I am sure none have lenses available anymore. Waaaay back in the day, before JT even released their fan module, I wired up a couple 40mm CPU fans to a battery box in a pocket. It would run on momentary or toggle mode. I attached the fans to the top of the goggles with some twist ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    I like Grillz. However, there wasn't room for fans at the top. Some days, I just need fans, so I put them in a pair of JT flex 7s. The grillz seem to do just as good as the JTs with a thermal lens, but at sundown and rainy days I have to have fans around here.

Is that with the newer thermal grillz? Or the older single pane?

Depends on the size and shape of your head. I love the weight and comfort of Proflexes, but I can't put up with the lens removal and have to swap the softears for either ProShield hard ears or revolution rubber ears.

Current go-to goggles are V-Force Grills and Dye i4. Got a set of Grills when they first came out and they never, ever fogged with the single pane lens. Stupidly sold them and got a new set and found that the manufacturing quality of the lens coating had dropped and it fogged all the time! They're perfect with the thermal lenses, although if you've got a big nose be aware that the tip can sometimes touch the inside of the mask. The i4 is probably the comfiest mask I've ever worn but it is worryingly small and you have to lash together a peak/visor for it. I liked the E-Vents although they were heavy, but less keen on the E-Flex which seem to sit oddly on the face.

Currently debating adding a Virtue VIO to the collection as they look well made - but again, no peak/visor, do the manufacturers never play in bright sunlight or rain?

do the manufacturers even play any more?

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Is that with the newer thermal grillz? Or the older single pane?
    I have not tried those thermal lenses yet! Since the JT thermals fog when the humidity comes up anyway, I don't expect magic out of the grillz thermals. I have played in near 100% humidity (most instruments measuring over 95% are not accurate anyway) with the fans and had no troubles. I'll wonder through the field creek sometimes, which has no air movement and extra humidity, and only airflow can help. Kicking off a big game at 9am in Houston can be pretty humid too. So, I have my daytime grillz and my nighttime/early morning/rainy day JTs. I prefer the comfort of the grillz when I don't need the fans.

If you have a small head: JT Flex 8's, with the dual pane thermal lens, visor, and fan.
    Full head coverage, even the back, and with the dual pane lens and fan combo, you will NEVER have goggle fog. EVER.

Name:  jt-flex8-full-grey.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  39.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Patron God of Pirates View Post
    I recommend V-Force Profilers. Inexpensive, great field of view, great venting, and great if you happen to have a large head (which I do).
    i dont like mine they r way to low on the for head, i want something higher

I'm prone to migraine headaches so the mask has gotta be very light as not to set a bad migraine off.I've had the best luck not getting migraines with my dye i3 with the amber lenses. I'll prolly grab a i4 this year.:-) my buddy's wear flexes for more protection they say but I will take several shots any day with my i3s as not to suffer a migraine.:-)

This one is the best. I've bought 3 of them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by koleah View Post
    If you have a small head: JT Flex 8's, with the dual pane thermal lens, visor, and fan.
    Full head coverage, even the back, and with the dual pane lens and fan combo, you will NEVER have goggle fog. EVER.

Name:  jt-flex8-full-grey.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  39.7 KB

i've been using the same spectras for 12 years. i love the way grillz look though.

thanks for all the tips, sounds like i will just be ordering new JT Lenses

This thread has got me curious about fans. How noisy are they in actual use? I cannot stand not being able to hear, and dislike the Darth Vader breathing sounds of the E-flexes and i4s, despite liking them pretty well otherwise.