Thread: Article: The Treasure Island Prototype Rifle

Thumbs up The AGD Prototype Rifle

AO: I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this AGD rifle. The only thing I could find was that in was built for an entertainment complex shooting gallery. I think it was built by AGD a very long time ago.

Yea that is an interesting gun with an interesting story. First off I still have it in my collection. It was built for Steve Wynn when Treasure Island was under construction. Steve wanted a shooting gallery that actually shot something at targets on the "range" which was to be the side of an old sailing galleon. He wanted it to 'kick' like a real gun so I hollowed out the stock and put an air powered sliding hammer in there that actuated with the trigger pull. The air was fed in under the breach just in front of the trigger guard. They were going to use rubber balls but were having trouble finding ones that didn't bounce back out.

If you remember Mike Lauterborn from Dual Mag fame he was handling things or us in Vegas with this project. When he met with Wynn to let him see and try the gun, Wynn was so excited that he dumped plans for the shooting gallery and wanted to do a themed ride where people would sit in a boat and go through a tunnel like Pirates of the Caribbean in Disney World. He wanted to mount the guns on the edge of the boat to shoot at all the bad guys as they went through. So the shooting gallery got dumped and somewhere along the way so did the ride so all that is left of that story is my proto.

Vegas baby I ALMOST made money there!

AGD
    Last edited by Bunny; 02-11-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Very neat!

Is this something that you have in your possession now?

Wish I could help you out... but I got nothing on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Very neat!

Is this something that you have in your possession now?

Wish I could help you out... but I got nothing on that.
    Lol, I wish.... I don't remember seeing anything posted about it so I figured I try and get TK's attention. I found it with a bunch of panther prototype information so I know it is "old school"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Lol, I wish.... I don't remember seeing anything posted about it so I figured I try and get TK's attention. I found it with a bunch of panther prototype information so I know it is "old school"
    Too bad... knowing your collection though it wouldn't have surprised me!

Yea that is an interesting gun with an interesting story. First off I still have it in my collection. It was built for Steve Wynn when Treasure Island was under construction. Steve wanted a shooting gallery that actually shot something at targets on the "range" which was to be the side of an old sailing galleon. He wanted it to 'kick' like a real gun so I hollowed out the stock and put an air powered sliding hammer in there that actuated with the trigger pull. The air was fed in under the breach just in front of the trigger guard. They were going to use rubber balls but were having trouble finding ones that didn't bounce back out.

If you remember Mike Lauterborn from Dual Mag fame he was handling things or us in Vegas with this project. When he met with Wynn to let him see and try the gun, Wynn was so excited that he dumped plans for the shooting gallery and wanted to do a themed ride where people would sit in a boat and go through a tunnel like Pirates of the Caribbean in Disney World. He wanted to mount the guns on the edge of the boat to shoot at all the bad guys as they went through. So the shooting gallery got dumped and somewhere along the way so did the ride so all that is left of that story is my proto.

Vegas baby I ALMOST made money there!

AGD

Tom, if you ever get rid of it let me know... that's amazingly cool.

*the gun and the story

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    Tom, if you ever get rid of it let me know... that's amazingly cool.

*the gun and the story
    no no no, let me know..........

aw crap did it again im not buying anymore dang it.

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    no no no, let me know..........

aw crap did it again im not buying anymore dang it.
    You just focus on hanging in there buddy.

You just focus on hanging in there buddy.
    I see what you did there

I see what you did there
    Laughter is the best medicine?

Laughter is the best medicine?

no, with something like that. it would go to one individual, who would use it no more than 3 weeks, then pass it on down the line, by a list on this site. you have to be an active member and in good standing. so each time the gun goes onto the next user, tracking and insurance on every trip to the PO, even listing that info on the site. you would also have all contact information(hidden to public, but not to the admins of the site) so if something did happen, the authorities could still recover the property and return it back to the family, as it were. pics of the gun being used at events is a must in order to track a piece of history still in use. any damage done, will be the responsibility of the person who used it last, no questions. if person #4 cracked the stock, but the package sent to person #5 was not damaged, person #4 pays for the repairs on word from #5. this makes sure that you don't want to be stuck for it. it also insures that honesty happens, as accidents will come and go.

if we can get this to actually happen, i can flush out the rules for use a little more. that is, if TK would actually let it out in the world.

Dang, and I just wanted to shoot Steve with it and then use it at some scenarios.

My guess is it will never leave TK's Vault.LOL

I think it would be really awesome if TK would post up some pictures of all the super rare stuff he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmagterror View Post

I think it would be really awesome if TK would post up some pictures of all the super rare stuff he has.
    or bring it to LL7

Agree, if he has time to show them all I'm guessing.

Yes please!

Tom, thanks for the reply. I'm glad I can add another article to the AO archives. I really wish the concept took off, I remember as a kid riding the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at DisneyWorld and thinking to myself how they should add targets and make it like the shooting gallery they had. If I remember correctly Disney had a light gun set-up or something like that in frontier land. It would have been more satisfying if you could shoot a projectile out of the gun though.

I do have a few questions though....

• Is there a name for this gun?
    • What year was it made? (I was assuming it was made before Treasure Island opened in 93.)
    • Could we get a better picture than a cropped up picture from a scanned magazine from the early 90's??
    Last edited by Bunny; 02-11-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Its locked away in storage. If I ever dig it out I will take pics. There was no name for it, we called it Treasure Island Prototype.

AGD

what else is locked away in storage?

[21:00] < FunkTehChillinMunky > I've got a Warped Sportz Dark Talon

Quote Originally Posted by skife View Post
    Now THAT'S a loaded question for Tom...

Quote Originally Posted by skife View Post
    An elderly DB Cooper and a live T-Rex playing cribbage.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Its locked away in storage. If I ever dig it out I will take pics. There was no name for it, we called it Treasure Island Prototype.

AGD
    I really need to visit you

Yea.... I have a pretty big collection many never fired. Ever see a Slam Change Desert Duck?? How about a rotating cylinder breach Phoenix? Much like motorcyle companies there used to be probably 50-75 paintball gun companies, now there are just a few....

AGD

so when are we planning the trip to TK's house for this unveiling of the storage unit?
    seriously im down for that.

Yea.... I have a pretty big collection many never fired. Ever see a Slam Change Desert Duck?? How about a rotating cylinder breach Phoenix? Much like motorcyle companies there used to be probably 50-75 paintball gun companies, now there are just a few....

AGD
    Always wanted a DD with a slamchanger but Mongo won't make me one.

I had a Phoenix though; Tom if you ever want a headache, take it apart.

so when are we planning the trip to TK's house for this unveiling of the storage unit?
    seriously im down for that.
    It's something I would like to see. Could be worth taking a plane to us for this ... but my wife would probably kill me if I did...

AGD
    I think you're making those names up...

AGD
    you should take a day and photograph everything, i'd bet everything has a pretty good story.

I'll give you an Axe + cash for it. LMK. Free up.

LOL