Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The breeding cycle of the Classic Automag.

The breeding cycle of the Classic Automag.

Tell me if any of this rings true.

Player starts with bog standard Automag. CF frame and PF body.
    Pretty rail is purchased and installed.
    Grip frame is upgraded to Intelliframe or other 1911 gripped alloy frame.
    VFG added.
    E-bay ReTro valve or X-valve replaces classic valve for RT effect.
    Mainbody replaced with inexpensive center feed automag threaded body.
    Original parts reassembled into Classic Automag.

Process repeats.

close

Start with an automag, any automag.

play with it and now you want a 2x trigger, so you buy one.

play some more and now you want a new barrel.

so you go looking for a barrel and end up buying 5 you like.

you play some more and now want to shed some weight.

so you buy a ULE and a Xvalve.

Now you need another new barrel.

looking at this pile of parts you now realise you almost have another mag so you buy parts to make your pile into a mag.

repeat

Thought of something else. You have this parts mag, and you think "if I just did this it would be a complete loaner gun". Then you have a "loaner" mag and you think "If I added this and this part, it would be sufficient for a main back up gun".

Ha... im on #6 guess ill be working on a new loaner gun this summer

If they weren't so damn fun and easy to build it wouldn't be so bad!

But yeah I've had one turn into 3 in a quick couple of months. It's pretty ridiculous.

...My classic could sure use a ULE body though...

I have come to the conclusion that they are adult legos

nope tribbles...leave em near youre wallet and they breed

everyone keeps forgetting the Luke/XMT/Cougars20th effect. you might say that those people start the breeding cycle, as they make something cool and you have to have, thus you start looking at the parts you have and you go building.

Does anyone remember when if it wasn't from AGD it was called a Frankin Mag? Yep ,built from parts. Now they're "custom" mags. Valve and reg having matching numbers is a big thing but I've got more aftermarket regs( ANS and Hurricane) then matching #'s. They even work! I run between 5-20 Mags at any given time and I ask my self Aren't these enough? Then buy a new part.
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

Cyco-Dude Guest
    my experience has been more like, buy a nice classic automag to try out. then, get another one because it was dirt cheap and you want to restore it to it's former glory. then, get another one because you want one with a black body this time, and a lvl 10 bolt, and a y-frame, and a brass barrel...yeah.

how long until i get a 4th automag? three 'mags in four months is ok, right? o_O

LOL! This is a pretty funny thread! Maybe we will outlast the "mags suck" era!

AGD

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post

AGD
    we did, that was back in the 90's, then the 2000's, and now in 2014, they are still kicking and no one needed to resurrect the guns.

Back in the day when the classic as just a 68Automag it was more like...get a new barrel. Chop paint, get a revvy. Freeze up gun, get an expansion chamber and bottomline with matching anti-syphon tank. Do an 8 hole mod, just because.

AGD
    Yeah, in my recent (last 3 years) experience we are past that. I used to get funny looks and "pft" "tut" reactions when I showed up with my Mags. Now I get either "What the hell is that?" or "watch out for that guy". The later because the accurately assume that I've been playing for a good long while. After a couple of games people are always asking to shoot them.

Tom, I know it's every AOer's pipe dream, but you have got to get together with XMT (CF mainbody), Couger20th (Uni-Frame), and Collin (hAir trigger), and produce the lightest, smallest, fastest firing true semi production marker ever (mechanical or otherwise). Yes, that is slicing the pie up many ways, but you can compensate by putting the price point at 2K. We all know most expensive = best

Related note; I think it's funny that over on Techpb an RT mag owns the overall live paint RoF record over full auto electro's. Anybody with a pneumag and a camera could easily take the pure mech record from the 10bps Cocker that holds it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    we did, that was back in the 90's, then the 2000's, and now in 2014, they are still kicking and no one needed to resurrect the guns.
    I think a lot of it died starting around 2005 with the unlimited ROF electros. At that point, we were free to unleash RTs and X-valves for all they were worth. Then the high pressure ninja regs made it easy for more people to get the air needed, and we've had to restrain our mags ever since.

As much as we bemoan the lack of new AGD products, the lack of advertisement requires players to know something about mags and paintball before they can even find a mag. That eliminates a lot of fits and bad reviews.

On the subject of breeding cycles; I had one classic mag for about 12 years (imprisoned for about 7 years in an attic). Then I bought a relatively cheap mag/loader/bottle package around 2004 because I needed the loader and bottle to feed my new x-valve. I thought I would just pneu the extra mag, but that one has turned into a steady stream of mags and mods. I still have most of the pieces of my first classic mag in service, scattered across various builds. It's more like pollination.
    Last edited by Spider-TW; 02-12-2014 at 12:05 PM.

or in my case you start buying cheap splash parts in the early 2000's and then need markers to display it all on.

AGD
    It was always mags suck because they blend paint.

Personally I think the issue was the marker could fire way faster than any loader of the day. Now that everyone has FF loaders. If the paint isn't in the breach its the loader getting the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    It was always mags suck because they blend paint.

Personally I think the issue was the marker could fire way faster than any loader of the day. Now that everyone has FF loaders. If the paint isn't in the breach its the loader getting the blame.
    Right? There was just no AGD loader to match the marker! The Halo helped mags out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    Right? There was just no AGD loader to match the marker! The Halo helped mags out a lot.
    So doesn't this mean that the mag was actually about 12 years ahead of the curve in firing capability.

Not really. There's a video floating around of some dude hopper dumping a full auto [s]SMG-68[/s] 68 special using a Halo. Which I absolutely intend to do when I get a FF loader. And an insanely large CO2 tank.

All semi-autos were restricted by hoppers for a very long time.

Here it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU-_QvJ57Ns

My wife is pretty sure Automags don't breed. That they just spontaneously appear in random places around the house and stay to live.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    My wife is pretty sure Automags don't breed. That they just spontaneously appear in random places around the house and stay to live.
    Wormholes. Pop! There comes another.

The other story to tell the wife is that it is an old marker, it just has the one new part you made for it. The part just makes it all look new. It's that good. Never mind several people can play with that marker all at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    Wormholes. Pop! There comes another.

The other story to tell the wife is that it is an old marker, it just has the one new part you made for it. The part just makes it all look new. It's that good.
    Cant she does have a clue what I have. Especially since I like flashy anodizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyssx View Post
    Not really. There's a video floating around of some dude hopper dumping a full auto [s]SMG-68[/s]
    Here it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU-_QvJ57Ns
    Not to be a PITA, but that is not a full hopper, it's about 21 shots. His peek RoF was 7bps. And based on the peek to peek cycle time that is as fast as that marker can cycle:
    Name:  68rof.png
Views: 96
Size:  7.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    Cant she does have a clue what I have. Especially since I like flashy anodizing.
    That's where the basic hobby anodizing helps. Do a few parts yourself and shuffle it all around. If you can't keep track, she can't either.

To me it was, that I came back from a long break from playing and noticed all the new and pretty versions of mag's that had sprung out while I wasn't looking. Now I'm just collecting pretty much everything that strikes my fancy ... And Luke, XMT, renie and cougar20th just keep adding all that cool new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Patron God of Pirates View Post
    Not to be a PITA, but that is not a full hopper, it's about 21 shots. His peek RoF was 7bps. And based on the peek to peek cycle time that is as fast as that marker can cycle:
    You beat me to it. But you got a lot more technical. I used one of them old guns. No way. No how that they even came close to a mag. What your ears are forgetting to factor in to the sound of it. Is the clank forward and clank back of the blowback design. Basically every shot sounds like 2. And good lord did them things kick. Also. No one local needed any kind of agetated hopper around here till 95 when the main local players all bought mags and cockers. Then and only then did any of us buy agitators or shreaders. Using an agitator. And then later a revolution on my rt best I could do was 4 round d bursts without risks of the marker becoming a blender. My mag back in 05-06 was a double edged sword. One of the fastest guns on the field next to the couple upgraded cockers. BUT shoot to many fast strings of shots it would start freezing up due to co2. Once com pair became mainstream I got a scuba tank and nitroduck minireg. No more issues at all.
    Last edited by blackdeath1k; 02-12-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patron God of Pirates View Post
    Science! (thanks!)

That is exactly what happened to my first mag, a bone stock new Minimag. Eventually all of the stock parts except for the body were replaced and it became a totally different gun. I ended up selling it all to fund my classic RT obsession, but I still wish I had just kept that Minimag stock and kept it. Live and learn