Thread: 41 and new to paintball

41 and new to paintball

OK, let's get one thing straight, I do not reside in my parents basement. I played for the first time this weekend due to a X-mas gift to my step-son. To say the least, we had a lot of fun. Not knowing anything about paintball markers, I bought him a Gryphon package from Dick's. It was more than adequate for him, the problem was with my rental. After a LITTLE research I ended up buying this off ebay.

You all being the experts, what do I need to do to make this a reliable, fire and forget marker that I do not need to fuss with.

Any information would be appreciated.

RT AUTOMAG

by arigun designs

Recommended input is 600-800 psi

black metal front handle and grip in excellent condition with dye grips

custom products barrel about 10 inches long

above the frame on the back slide says rt04104 and 3000 psi

Trigger guard says AGD

Gun says*Compressed air*or Nitrogen only

NITRO DUCK TANK

brass end spins easily(i assume that is to adjust the regulaor)

one gauge says 0-5000 psi and use no oil

other gauge says 0-1200 psi and use no oil also this gauge says 300 psi in the tank

says made in usa and sn 024272

luxfer number p11a-1

tc-su 5134-310

month 11 year 06

DOT-E 10915-4500

KF 2899 LUXFER,
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by toconnor318; 02-04-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Adding photos

Never to old to play pb. Also welcome to AO. You have come to the right place, but I am not the right guy to help since I am practically useless when it comes to tech stuff.

Welcome to the family!
    You've got an RT Classic.
    You will probably need to get that tank hydro tested. If there's a SCUBA shop near you, they can tell you if there is a local place that does hydro testing. Otherwise, Ninja Paintball does it. That's who I linked. Once that's done, get some macroline connected from the fitting on the rail to the tank and air it up. I would start with the pressure adjusted so the 0-1200 gauge reads ~850. Let us know what the marker does from there. We should be able to help fix any problems you may be experiencing with it.
    Last edited by bbotts77; 02-04-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: deleted incorrect rebuild kit

First easy thing, you need a feed plug like the one on the left, not like the one on the right...

Name:  img1169.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  26.8 KB

The flat spot on the right one can cause chopping.

If it doesn't leak, you are probably good, but you will probably want a force feed loader, like a Rotor. That will need a good elbow for mounting. Any local elbow will do to get on the field, but keep an eye out for ones made from more resilient plastics.

It may need a seal kit. Of all of the varieties of mags, the "Classic RT" is somewhat on its own and you generally just use parts (other than seals) from other classic RTs or custom parts made for classic RTs. Few AGD parts from the other mags will drop-in.

Quote Originally Posted by toconnor318 View Post
    NITRO DUCK TANK

month 11 year 06

DOT-E 10915-4500

KF 2899 LUXFER,
    Ducks are a bit old and getting thin on support. Your tank is also out of hydro-test (every 5 years). If you have a local test facility, you might want to just get it tested (~$30) and see if it will motor-on. Otherwise, you can always send it in to Ninja for test and trade out of the regulator for a high pressure output reg ($90?). That would mean an ASA, and maybe a drop also (another $30-$50). So, yeah, the tank is a slight weak spot.

A Level 10 bolt will work in an RT. They are very nice if you don't mind the setup. I would get the loader and bottle straightened out first though. RT's are only as good as their feed source. And this all assumes you have a good face mask that you like.

Welcome!

welcome to the sport!

thats probably not the setup i would have recommended you start with for both you and your step son, but never mind, as long as it works, you should have a great time. this is not the time in your paintball career to be bogged down in all the sillyness is that in paintball gear lets just get busy to having fun

tips:

1. buy a good mask. go to a paintball shop, and try them all on, and regardless of price, buy the one you like the most. its the most essential part of your gear, and it keeping you comfortable and fog free is step 1 to having fun in paintball. its impossible to have fun with a mask that you hate. don;t worry, a mask will last 2 or 3 years, and the lenses are replaceable, so you will get your monies worth.

in your case, your next step is going to be a loader. a nice, fast, simple, reliable loader. rotors are gosh darn expensive, and i don't think they are worth it. nice loader and all, but way way to much money. a nice halo too, or even the vmaxx might be what you want instead.

then ... go and have a good time!
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

After skimming through your information, you're also going to need to have that air tank re-hydrotested, as it is beyond its expiration date.

Throw up a picture of the gun if you get a chance!

Edit: Shoulda refreshed, someone beat me to the tank info!

[QUOTE=cockerpunk;2851859]welcome to the sport!

thats probably not the setup i would have recommended!

Thanks for information. What would you have recommended? I haven't even received this marker yet. I could always relist it after installing the air hose.

what's your location? chances are there's one of us in the area

Recomendations?

[QUOTE=cockerpunk;2851859]welcome to the sport!

thats probably not the setup i would have recommended you start with for both you and your step son, but never mind, as long as it works, you should have a great time.

Thanks for the information but what would you have recommended? I can always turn that one around after installing an air hose.

West Springfield, MA

Is the reg ss or brass? If thats an ss reg that be a megareg system I'm spotting. Still kicking myself for selling mine. Best adjustable reg I ever owned.

Classic RTs are great. Some hate the banjo bold for the gas through rail. I love mine. To each there own. While getting used to the gun keep your input in the 850-900 range. Once your used to using it you can see how much trigger reactivity you want based on upping the input pressure.

Deff not my first choice for a newbie gun. But great gun. Been using and abusing mine since 97.

[QUOTE=toconnor318;2851867]
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    welcome to the sport!

thats probably not the setup i would have recommended!

Thanks for information. What would you have recommended? I haven't even received this marker yet. I could always relist it after installing the air hose.
    as long as it works and doesn't leak, that would be unnecessary. i would have advised you to buy something new, that is known to work, and have factory support, and a warranty etc etc. no one wants to be battling there equipment there first few times out.

like everything you buy on Ebay, you bought a question mark. it might work great, in fact after a bit of work, i know it will work great (i love classic RTs). if you are a pretty hands on mechanical guy, automags are very simple, easy to troubleshoot guns. id wait until it arrives and try it out before selling it.

heres me balling with my classic RT:

EDIT: like everyone said, the tank is old, and will need rehyrdo for sure.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 02-04-2014 at 04:53 PM.

BTW this is the tech video on your gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=volmKXv78zQ

if you want to use the tank for a shoulder stock you'll probably have to reconfigure your setup. its not hard and the options are numerous. you might also have to have a different barrel since most of the ones that age are too large for todays paint, something I found out after a 15 year hiatus. a halo hopper is a good start if you want a high rate of fire without spending over $100.00. you can get a spare parts kit on here from Tuna or from AGD themselves and if its been sitting for a while it will probably need it. also get a bottle of oil for markers, AGD recommends Auto Lube and put a couple of drops in where your tank screws in every time you use it.

Hey dude! Swing by Xtreme PB, we're right in West Springfield! Joe can help you out iwth everything to get you ready to rock:

683 Westfield St
    West Springfield MA 01089
    413-626-8212

Not sure if he'll have parts for an automag, like everyone said the classic is kind of it's own thing.

Also make sure you come out to play with us, we're right over in Agawam! Love seeing automags out on the field.

The cradle on that reg flips around and works great. It actually can be configured as an offset drop forward which is how I always had mine set up.

The valve uses basically the same parts as a rtpro valve. Except it needs banjo Orings. Keep them lubed and they last just fine.

Again, thanks for the info guys. Really helpful. I actually played this past Sunday at the Agawam field. Great set-up, I was really impressed. As far as Hydro, I am familiar as I scuba dive too. I relate purchasing this marker to owning a classic muscle car compared to these lawn mower sounding fast and furious cars out there now. I was looking for something non electronic and being a medical equipment service tech, I can handle tinkering with it. Looking forward to it!

Awesome choice! I had one of these years ago and I had to sell it to pay bills. Just picked up a replacement for my small collection. Welcome to the game and to AO, you will play with others but you'll yourself always coming back to an Automag.

If you like tinkering. And old school. Buy an Autococker. One day I may own one. Just too lazy if I ever needed to work on it. Otherwise stay with said RT. Great old gun. Always get weird looks when I pull my gun out with people that have never been around them. And you can literally let it sit in a case for 10 years. Pull it out. Spend 10 bux. And she runs again.

Mags are a great choice in a marker and the RTs kicked off the multi-balls per second trend. Simple concept, few moving parts, historically consistant, and the kids with the electros are scared of them. A parts kit might be in order for you, but that is to be expected.

Disregard the talk about "not the gun to start with", as any competant person has the capabilities to work on these, that is sales talk as far as I am concerned. I also contest the "buy it new argument" and consider it sales talk as well. Used Mags for $100-400, which are fully servicable with a parts kit or new for $700 +...choice is yours.

Anyways, most consider mags as a building platform because there are so many cool things that you can do to make them your own. Run with the RT and like all mags yes, you can use, clean it, and then leave it. A drop of oil into the airpath during every use will help keep it chugging along.

Once again great choice and get out there and use it. Only problem is that your will eventually have to buy soomething better for the son once he realiazes that you screwed him with the Dick's gun and you bought yourself a RT MAG !

Quote Originally Posted by Pump&Run View Post
    Disregard the talk about "not the gun to start with", as any competant person has the capabilities to work on these, that is sales talk as far as I am concerned. I also contest the "buy it new argument" and consider it sales talk as well. Used Mags for $100-400, which are fully servicable with a parts kit or new for $700 +...choice is yours.

Anyways, most consider mags as a building platform because there are so many cool things that you can do to make them your own. Run with the RT and like all mags yes, you can use, clean it, and then leave it. A drop of oil into the airpath during every use will help keep it chugging along.
    As someone who actually plays with either one of my two classic RT's every time I go out, I'd agree with cockerpunk that the classic RT wouldn't be my choice for a first gun. Even when it was brand new in '96, the RT was NEVER considered a starter gun, it was developed and sold as a serious tournament gun for serious money ($800-1000 originally). It is now out of production for about 15 years, and while relatively simple, it is not quite as 'set and forget' as modern guns. The classic RT specifically can sometimes develope hard to fix air leaks out of the banjo bolt area that other mag designs don't have to deal with.

Nevertheless, it's a really fun gun to take out and play with. It doesn't look or feel like any other modern gun you'll find at your local field. Like you said in your first post, the RT is essentially the classic "muscle car" of the paintball scene.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    welcome to the sport!

tips:
    1. buy a good mask.
    Like cockerpunk stated - get a good mask. Maybe one with a thermal lens. If you are fogged up and can't see, it really makes for a horrible day. Although I love my JT system, there are newer masks that have quick change lenses. After seeing my nephew change his lens out, a new mask is in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by toconnor318 View Post
    West Springfield, MA
    If you run into issues, send me a message. I used to live in Easthampton (I'm now closer to Boston) but I'm out there all the time still, I'd be glad to help out with a tutorial.

Once you get it running right, a classic RT is really a set it and forget it gun, provided you don't store it in a hot car/attic/whatever. Just remember to hose it off thoroughly and oil it when you're done, and you should be all set to toss it back into the closet. No, it was never marketed as a "beginner gun", but overall it's a very forgiving platform, with the exception of the o-rings on the banjo bolt and even then they're easy enough to swap out.