Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Trade - Lost Gun Advice

usps tracking can be a joke. i bought 2 barrels from Splatplayer and the tracking number still shows it in the Boston area and they came in yesterday. i have had this happen quite frequently.

same sent a box 3 day mail and it sat in one city for 4 days and then was marked as delivered. if i knew how to use ups i would go that way

Learn from this... NEVER send a marker USPS. They are a joke. There is no accountability and 99% of the govt union workers there could give a rats butt about your issues.

Spend the extra bucks, send it UPS. (Not even Fed Ex Ground). Put "Signature required" and $1000 of insurance. Anything with $1k of insurance on it begins an entirely separate chain of custody on your package because it is considered high value. Every time it gets handed off, someone else will have to sign for it. From the pick up driver, to the terminal clerks, all the way until it goes out for delivery.

Sorry to hear that man.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by teichild; 02-20-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Added a pic on accident

Yup. USPS is a joke. I get packages all the time from them that there tracking number never shows up. Only thing I'm seeing that annoys me is the guy jumping right in to work on your end of the trade. Any time I trade or sell bike parts. Money or there parts sit and wait for me to get the OK from the other party that all is well on there end.

i can still imagine this thing popping up on one of those usps lost item auctions...

is there a way to monitor those things? cursory google glance didn't find anything where you can look at usps auction listings

So are we all assuming that he left it on the porch or was this confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    usps tracking can be a joke. i bought 2 barrels from Splatplayer and the tracking number still shows it in the Boston area and they came in yesterday. i have had this happen quite frequently.
    I was hesitant to comment earlier but this happened to me with a gun I purchased from a guy on this forum last year. It was my first purchase here and I was beginning to spaz when he sent me the tracking number and it never updated for two weeks, kept saying package ready for shipment or shipping label created or some BS. Like Vintage, I received the package and the status never changed. So...you never know, even though it has been a while maybe it is in a warehouse and some schmuck will eventually decide to send it on its way.

As for the contract issue...under common law the liability for the Sender (the guy who was supposed to send you the gun) ends the moment it is received by a common carrier (USPS). This is why people ask for chain of custody (registered mail) and insurance on important stuff to reduce the chance of having to assume the loss. Now, I am not an idiot (well...) and I know this the big issue up for dispute being whether or not USPS ever received it, so if USPS final answer is that they never received it for shipping, then the burden is on the sender to prove he did send it. So, Daywanger, the guy could be liable for the gun still if USPS never took receipt of it, but the next question is how much is it worth to you? Because, you're going to have a tough time getting your money back with a small amount in dispute.

I want enough (either from USPS or this guy) to cover the amount of replacing a gun of similar age/type - $550. That's what the insurance was leveled at.

Am I likely to be out a gun? More than likely...

If this guy shipped with insurance for $550 he would have specific proof of the purchase of that insurance. Not just a notification. He would have a straight up receipt.
    The post office would certainly have direct evidence of that purchase of insurance relating to that package.
    If this person cannot produce those receipts he is most definitely lying.

Sandman

Have the receipt that he paid for the insurance. See below.

Just have the disconnect between him boxing it up and USPS picking it up.

Postage Receipt

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    good luck working with post office. I had a package with sig confirmation shipped to me that was mis-delivered to someone else. My 1k marker sat at another house for a week before the person contacted me telling me that he got the wrong package. Sad thing is the driver told me he left it with me. The post office would not help, and just kept saying I signed for it.

It certainly looks like the guy did attempt to ship the package, but even so the burden of proof that he delivered it to the post office or that he witnessed the package being picked up is still on him.
    He has not entered into the "contract" with the carrier until he has proof of their receipt. If he failed to get that proof and relied on "chance" that they got it then it's still on him.
    If he's a stand up guy, he'll deal with his mistake even if it cost's him $550. You need to make him understand that it's still his fault since he did not get proof that the carrier received the package to be delivered.

We all take that chance everyday when we mail something. Typically though , we are not mailing $550 items. Certain proof is the only way to be protected. It's more expensive but then this will never happen.

Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    If this guy shipped with insurance for $550 he would have specific proof of the purchase of that insurance. Not just a notification. He would have a straight up receipt.
    The post office would certainly have direct evidence of that purchase of insurance relating to that package.
    If this person cannot produce those receipts he is most definitely lying.

Sandman
    If you do the shipping label online, you get a receipt for insurance, but if he fails to take it to the PO it will still show he purchased insurance. Which looking at what he sent you is exactly what he did. He printed it out online and probably left it for the mailman to pick up. IMO, he's totally at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    IMO, he's totally at fault.
    Agreed.

If he even left it for the mailman...

I would like to offer my sympathies but i wont because you broke one of the rules of trading a gun .
    Never ship your gun first especially to someone in California ......come on!
    Next you will be shipping first to Texas.
    Luckily it was a cocker
    Well if you you can find a cool scenario game in that dump of a state we can go and get your brick back.
    If you need extra gear for LL7 it will be there.
    Good luck daywang.
    Crime would never be tolerated in robtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    I would like to offer my sympathies but i wont because you broke one of the rules of trading a gun .
    Luckily it was a cocker
    Well if you you can find a cool scenario game in that dump of a state we can go and get your brick back.
    Good luck daywang.

I feel like my Father just entered the forum.....

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Luckily it was a cocker
    Good luck daywang.

Yeah - Rob's one of a kind.

lol

I'd be more scared to ship first to TX. At least shipping to CA you're pretty much guaranteed that if you go knock on his door looking for justice, he ain't got a peacemaker behind the hinges.

This is funny...

Quote Originally Posted by debruynda View Post
    This is funny...
    Hopefully you find it as funny when it happens to you!

Hope it works out Dude!

I had a similar problem with usps. Buyer never recived the gun I fought the post office they showed no tracking just that it was picked up. I fought them forever they did nothing. I eventually found it on ebay it went to a USPS auction of unclaimed items. Long story short they still did nothing even after I showed them the ebay auction and had proof from the seller that he bought it at their auction. It ended up at the USPS auction before it should have by their own policies they admitted they were in the wrong and that it was their fault but they still did nothing. Ebay finally helped me and gave me a credit on the gun because I proved that I shipped it. The best thing you can do is talk to the the manager at the post office that would have done the shipping through and file a lost package report and get a picture of the item. That picture and description should go to the lost package dept. and if someone sees it should get pulled out before it goes to auction. If I remember right it is like 50 or 60 days they have to hold it before selling it at auction. They did not wait that long though when they sold my package. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Steve View Post
    I had a similar problem with usps. Buyer never recived the gun I fought the post office they showed no tracking just that it was picked up. I fought them forever they did nothing. I eventually found it on ebay it went to a USPS auction of unclaimed items. Long story short they still did nothing even after I showed them the ebay auction and had proof from the seller that he bought it at their auction. It ended up at the USPS auction before it should have by their own policies they admitted they were in the wrong and that it was their fault but they still did nothing. Ebay finally helped me and gave me a credit on the gun because I proved that I shipped it. The best thing you can do is talk to the the manager at the post office that would have done the shipping through and file a lost package report and get a picture of the item. That picture and description should go to the lost package dept. and if someone sees it should get pulled out before it goes to auction. If I remember right it is like 50 or 60 days they have to hold it before selling it at auction. They did not wait that long though when they sold my package. Good luck.
    Did the whole "send a pic, submit a report and find it before it goes to auction" part.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    Hopefully you find it as funny when it happens to you!

Hope it works out Dude!
    Seriously?

I was talking about the dad comment.

Shipping first is not happening with me unless 1) I have a good phone number, and 2) if he is a field owner or a reputable mod.

I never insure with USPS, its pointless.
    Their system is set up so it's almost impossible to collect.
    However I always ship signature confirmation, that works for any Paypal complaints.