Thread: Question for TK

Question for TK

I've wondered for many years how large your parts orders were from your machine shop(s) when AGD was busy? I'm not asking about dollars, just volume from an individual parts perspective. I'm curious how large the runs were for the machine shop and what type(s) of parts volume/pieces you had to bring through your doors to arrive at your MSRP?
    Last edited by luke; 02-21-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Our minimum order was generally 1000 pcs. The price for 500 or 100 skyrockets the price. Thats why you can't stay in business once it becomes impossible financially to order that minimum. The compressor business I am in now only does 500 year so I had to resort to making most of the parts myself in my shop.

AGD

you'd be shocked at the low volumes paintball equipment is made in.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    The compressor business I am in now only does 500 year so I had to resort to making most of the parts myself in my shop.
    I'm curious what kind of machining equipment you're running in your shop?

you 2 are practicly neighbors... go find out, lol

I have a ten axis Mori Seiki lathe. Bars in---- finished parts out. I was using it as a custom tubing bender yesterday.

AGD

I have a ten axis Mori Seiki lathe. Bars in---- finished parts out. I was using it as a custom tubing bender yesterday.

AGD
    what?
    does it help you find dinosaurs?

TEN AXIS....... good lord. i bet that does some crazy stuff.

I was using it as a custom tubing bender yesterday.

AGD
    HAHA...Thats Great!!! You should post pictures of it...i would like to check it out.
    Last edited by Xmagterror; 02-22-2014 at 12:14 PM.

TK Living Legends 7????

I've seen one or two of those 10axis mori's. Once you get to single operation complex parts(stock in, finished part out, self loading, walk away deal) it can be cost very cost effective and hopefully pay the machine back. Question is what kind of programming are you using for 10axis?
    Euro E-mag | TL63 | XMOD| EM01610
    Euro Rt | OG | RT02382.

G code......

AGD

we have a 6 axis (I think?) Eurotech at our shop and it has made a WORLD of difference in costs

we have 3 part cylinder assemblies that have indexed threads for interchangeability, all with flats, features, and threaded holes on them, the machine takes in raw stock and spits out complete cylinder assemblies. Once we get the bar feeder hooked up we will install fire suppression and begin moving towards lights out machining to get even more productivity out of the machine.

it literally eliminated hundreds of hours of labor/separate setups within the first month of use, as for programming it takes standard code but when I use my software I just have to be aware of how I am orienting my MCS before I post the code, that way it is moving the correct directions within the machine (clearly) I also have to pass the generated code through a custom made sub program that will double all of a certain direction since the machine reads in diameter instead of radius
    CNC Programmer/Machinist
    Polarstar Engineering and Machine

Ive got a 9 axis Mori Seiki NT5400 and 7 axis Okuma Macturn at work i program and run. Pretty awesome once you get them setup but its a BIG job. Takes us days to setup on a new job.

Tom, are you using CAD/CAM software, if so what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Xmagterror View Post
    Pretty awesome once you get them setup but its a BIG job. Takes us days to setup on a new job.

so much this

I use Solidworks for design but program the machine by hand. Tube bending CNC uploading to facebook now.

Wow, you have that old school patience! I don't think I could wrap my head around the code in a 10 axis program, little doubt actually.

How about a FB link?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Wow, you have that old school patience! I don't think I could wrap my head around the code in a 10 axis program, little doubt actually.

How about a FB link?
    Ever sync a multi program flow machine? LOL Fun Stuff!!!

lol, no I'm still a big time newb.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I don't think I could wrap my head around the code in a 10 axis program,
    Well its 5 axies on a side, two lathes face to face. The tricky part is the transfer.

That's pretty cool, whats the tubing for?

Well its 5 axies on a side, two lathes face to face. The tricky part is the transfer.
    Haha...Yes thats very cool and innovative of you! Yes programming two head transfers are always fun. doing the hand off when the spindles are both rotating is kinda exciting. I got a few grey hairs from stress the 1st time i programmed and ran a hand off on our brand new 1.3 million dollar machine.LOL