Thread: Passion. Mmmmm.

Passion. Mmmmm.

After about 30 minutes in the armory section drooling over various peoples' mags... i'm dry, dressed, and cleaned up. Also ready for an extremely sweet and simple thread.
    Passion - Of course it applies to alot of things, I reckon'. But nothing inspires that word like an Automag. I bought an autococker, and lost interest in that thing hella quick... too many parts, tbh. It stopped working, and after it was too late, and in 100 pieces, I found the cause. Hindsight. Sweet. My mag? I came here, and complained/panic'ed a few times in threads, and overall, absorbed enough information to not be too daunted by them. Level 10 issues? No big deal. X valve on the frits? Probably something simple (after all, it was) When my Emag arrives tomorrow... that may change though. One other hobby completely captivates me. Cars. Power. Tons of it. V8 sound. Mmmmm. I do, though, have a lot of people to talk to for hours about at work about cars... I don't get that with mags. Noone I work with knows much more about paintball other than the expensive angels of the mid 2000's and spyders... oh tippmans too. But, I digress. I may not post a lot, but I do, like... A LOT, a lot of reading. Again, more absorbing. I get pumped knowing that the weather will start to get nicer in march, and cannot wait to play with my mag/s. OK i'm done. Super-hyped though and, voila, random thread end.
    Thanks,
    Jason

I too enjoy reading this forum and absorbing all the info I can.. I'm usually on here at work (one of the only paintball websites that I can access due to strict internet protocals here on the server) and I love reading new tech oriented material. I'm not happy untill I know everything there is to know about whatever my interests are and mags are at the top as of lately.

the craziest thing is, the technology that is used today, was all done 20 years ago, with exceptions(ULE bodies, L10, pneumatic setups). the main idea or basis of the original gun/design is still there. its been said before, and will be said again, that paintball had to catch up to AGD, not the other way around. forcefeed loaders, HPA, reg based guns, regulators, its all been done by AGD. plus, for something so technological, its still relatively simple. most problems can be narrowed down to a couple orings, and most leaks can be solved with a modicum of oil/lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    the craziest thing is, the technology that is used today, was all done 20 years ago, with exceptions(ULE bodies, L10, pneumatic setups). the main idea or basis of the original gun/design is still there. its been said before, and will be said again, that paintball had to catch up to AGD, not the other way around. forcefeed loaders, HPA, reg based guns, regulators, its all been done by AGD. plus, for something so technological, its still relatively simple. most problems can be narrowed down to a couple orings, and most leaks can be solved with a modicum of oil/lubrication.
    whenever i try in my mind to to design a spool valve gun, it always slowly turns into something very automagish. there are improvements to be had (size, weight, efficiency), but what resualts is so often just a blowfoward gun, with a power tube ...

its just a natural end point for so many thoughts.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    whenever i try in my mind to to design a spool valve gun, it always slowly turns into something very automagish. there are improvements to be had (size, weight, efficiency), but what resualts is so often just a blowfoward gun, with a power tube ...

its just a natural end point for so many thoughts.
    I've done that a few times as well. I decided to just stay out of spoolies in general.

My last bout was a no-valve-support-on-cocking nelson, trying to free up the pump mechanism from interacting with the valve stem. After fiddling around for a few days, I looked at the sketch and realized I had mostly drawn up an MVP. doh!

its been said before, and will be said again, that paintball had to catch up to AGD, not the other way around. forcefeed loaders, HPA, reg based guns, regulators, its all been done by AGD.
    In a sense though, AGD had to catch up with AGD, and by the time they did they had already lost most of their market share. The Lvl 10 bolt didn't even come out till what, 2000 or 2001? So about 10 years after the original Automag came out, they had a full-proof anti-chop bolt. Same thing with the parabolic powerfeed plug. This was YEARS after mags had been saddled with the 'paint blender' reputation. The valve design was awesomely ahead of it's time from the get-go, but some of the other things took some years of tweeking.

Take the case of my favorite mag, the poor classic RT. This gun debuts in 96' with the highest performing valve of any marker of it's time, capable of outperforming any of the new electros hitting the market (the Angel and Shocker). However, there is no Lvl 10 bolt or parabolic powerfeed plug to prevent chopping paint, nor is there any forcefeed hoppers to keep the paint coming in the first place. It's rate of fire cannot be truly set or capped the way an electro with a circuit board can, because it is dependent on the air input pressure. Along with that, most of the tournaments running back then banned it almost immedietly because of it's RT trigger function, which was at the core of it's amazing performance.

The RT was just too much gun for it's own good back then!

Kon. Level 10 was 2003ish. The superbolt was being tested and failed in 02. You are right with a lot though. I used mags in the mid 90s. I never had a blender. But others complained becaus they (the player). Would short stroke the gun and cause issues. Or have a non agitator hopper and cause jams. Its not the guns fault the player is inept. But like everything else. The player blames the gun. Parabolic pf plugs? There again not an issue I ever noticed until force fed hoppers came out. So really that issue wasn't an issue till 2000 or 2001. I love my classic rt dearly. And yah. Its blender issue back then was only if the player would over shoot there hopper. Back in 02 NO ONE at my field would use my classic rt because I had it setup to humm. And thy couldn't refrain from fat fingering the trigger and turning it in to a blender. BUT they all knew I could control it. Best part is that same gun is my main gun today. And I love it as much now as I did then. I never saw an original shocker that worked back then. If you wanted a reliable marker that would keep up with an RT in the late 90s you better shell out for an angel. So yes. Totally funny that a 20+ year old design is still a top performer. And about the simplest marker out there to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    And about the simplest marker out there to work on.
    Until we fiddle with them and make them less simple... Fix it til it's broke.

Yeah the RT started the RoF arms race and somehow lost it by winning it. Drove me crazy during the cheater board era when my RT's (which never really did RT on account of my tanks starving them) were outlawed at fields where the electro's were ramping into the teens all over the place. An RT still holds the confirmed bps record over on TechPB. Tech is over ten years old and all you need to do is feed it fast enough (air and balls).

Back on topic. My passion for Mags today is the unparalleled level of personalization and customization possible. A far cry from when I got into them and the only options for customization were actually downgrades (or splash kits).

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Until we fiddle with them and make them less simple... Fix it til it's broke.
    Not a problem with my RT. Only thing changed since the late 90s is the fact it has a flatline tank on it right now vs my nitroduck megareg. And it has a Y as apposed to the inteli that had been on it forever. I can't even bring myself to remove the sight rail. I fell in love with this gun in its stock form in 96. And I love it just as much today. Maybe a level 10 will go in it this year. But not even sure about that. (Wife's gun has a level 10 though.)

Patron. I would have been one mad person if I got banned from using my RT locally back then. Especially if they still alloud the horrid ramping cheater board electros. Only thing I was ever told was not to annihilate rookies when they would show up at the field. But the lot of 10 of us that played all the time all got told that. It wasn't just me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Patron. I would have been one mad person if I got banned from using my RT locally back then. Especially if they still alloud the horrid ramping cheater board electros. Only thing I was ever told was not to annihilate rookies when they would show up at the field. But the lot of 10 of us that played all the time all got told that. It wasn't just me.
    It was hit and miss. Depending on the field if the people who knew me were there they were fine with it. If they said no I would just switch to my classic and go play in the woods. I did manage to convince one head ref that I "turned off the RT". It was pretty funny.

To get back on topic though, I totally get the same thing, i.e. "passion". A week ago we got a freak weather climb into the 60's and I felt like a bear waking up from hibernation. All I can think about is hitting the field with my mags. I brought all my gear out, and my RT's, and detail cleaned everything (even though I did that when I put them away in December). Now I randomly get out my favorite mag and practice my shooting stance, switching hands, whatever. I told all my friends that in 2-3 weeks tops I'm hitting the field with or without them. I also equate my mag passion to my love of classic cars. Its an odd comparison though, mag lovers are a small niche within a already niche hobby, and everyone, even people who don't like cars, probably knows what a muscle car is or at least why a '70 Chevelle SS is special.

I've put most of my grand customization plans away for awhile. I just got to thinking that for the money I spend on this or that part/gun, I could have actually hit the field and played with my mags multiple times! Might as well focus more on field time for now while I'm healthy enough to enjoy it.

The thing that still makes me drool is that snap-click when you air up a mag.

My brother-in-law had a chevelle SS. It had started with a 307, but it was bored a little, with oversize heads, side pipes, and a 5 speed transmission. It was alright.

307? that motor was a boat anchor, even with it being bored out. but it take passion to do that kind of work, not because its good, because you love to do it. that goes right into playing with 20 year old mags that are older than the people who you shoot with them.

307? that motor was a boat anchor, even with it being bored out. but it take passion to do that kind of work, not because its good, because you love to do it. that goes right into playing with 20 year old mags that are older than the people who you shoot with them.
    Exactly. We referred to the 307 as "the dog". Kind of the same thing with EP classic mags. They aren't supposed to go that fast, but you can get them going well beyond where they are expected to go.

I am just fascinated by pretty much everything automag. The only part that scares me is the pneu-mag, because more parts discourages me. Especially milling/drilling/etc. I am completely fine knowing pretty much everything else about the 2 I own (Emag, RT ULE) The emag has been interesting the past few days, so back to the emag trouble thread/s ...
    Thanks for the replies guys,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
    I am just fascinated by pretty much everything automag. The only part that scares me is the pneu-mag, because more parts discourages me. Especially milling/drilling/etc. I am completely fine knowing pretty much everything else about the 2 I own (Emag, RT ULE) The emag has been interesting the past few days, so back to the emag trouble thread/s ...
    Thanks for the replies guys,
    Jason
    what you need to do is come up to Top Gun with me and BigEvil and experience some great paintball, as well as just having BigEvil to answer all mag related questions(and possibly shoot a few guns that you might have questions about).

Is that near Cousins in manchester NJ? I plan to play alot this year... I have spent a small fortune ever since I played there last August. I cannot wait to play again. I have family that live in jackson. Is that field closer to six flags, or headed in the other direction?
    Thanks,
    Jason