Thread: regulator

regulator

why do you see some setups using a regulator? as in, a sidewinder or something.

thanks

either they are using a Sidewinder for a gas-through grip or if you look at the valve, the valve has been 'bobbed', where the stock reg has been removed, thus requiring a HPR to regulate the gun. OR, people are running a pneumatic setup and the Sidewinder is being used as a very large(& good) LPR, feeding the pneumatic setup, while the valve air is being directed up from the ASA(this is a tell-tale by the 2 hoses from the ASA).

Awesome explanation thanks! Why would one want to bob the valve? Can you do this with an xvalve?

mainly to save weight, as well as to shorten the overall length(which can a mag be any shorter?). dumping the stainless steel reg save a HUGE amount of weight and since you can then use a high flow/high recharge reg like a Sidewinder or STS, you won't loose performance and you still have a "foregrip" to hold when shooting. its totally a preference choice.

also, because AGD had also helped develop the old Air America regs, many people will reuse the adjuster halves since they do have the same threading. this again, doesn't bob the valve but lets the user take off weight, while still maintaining the stock performance.

though, removing the stock reg for something else does leave the question of how well the stock reg does work. some say that it dies under 15bps. some have hit 20 with no problems. its again, its all a personal preference.

so, if you remove the reg on the stock stainless reg and add a sidewinder, there is no difference in performance compared to an xvalve? woah.

how come nobody has ever removed it from an xvalve? can this be done? GUIDE? haha

this interests me as it sounds like nobody has done it before.

Many posts on this... look up valve capping or some variant of those words and you should find enough info. Dues made caps, XMT made them but not selling until spring??? don't know if performance has really been fully tested. If you cap the back of an Xvalve then you will lose the reactive trigger.

actually, most folks run a reg like this, for a pnumag setup, not as a primary reg.

it would be dumb to replace the Xvalve regulator, its faster then pretty much any inline ever, and smaller and lighter then them all.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

the X valve doesn't work the same way as the classic A.I.R. valve/reg. so you can't really cap it, nor should you. the X valve/design can easily feed a gun going into the 40bps range. you would actually loose performance if you could swap out the backs.

Ok thanks. So this mod is reserved for an AIR valve, and it will allow performance similar to an xvalve? Is this correct thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by sbullet View Post
    Ok thanks. So this mod is reserved for an AIR valve, and it will allow performance similar to an xvalve? Is this correct thinking?
    No. Actually X's can be capped, its just a more complicated design from my understanding. Capping a Classic or AIR valve and running an external reg is just a weight distribution effort really. My opinion is that I will most likely run a foregrip anyways, so why not cap the valve and put a reg where the foregrip would be. Plus it's different. I would venture a guess that I currently have more capped valved, external reg'd Mags than most at 3. What Nobody is saying is that by using a good external reg, you theoretically may be able to get a higher rate of fire before shootdown out of a Classic style valve than with using a stock regulator. The actually higher ROF would have to be achieved through either pneumatics or electronics. An X valve through high rate of recharge and a different on/off can actually RT (reactive trigger) A Classic valve cannot.

Here are examples:

Two of my capped valve Mags are pumps. Honestly, recharge isn't a concern for these. The bottom one is a pneuMag.

With mags, is bounce the same as RT, or are all these insanely high ROFs you see on videos, just the rt (one ball pull, one ball release). A classic valve just cannot do this? I just don't get why hah. So annoying that I can't understand this right away. I really am into that last mag, I just love the look of a capped/chopped valve. So unique.

Quote Originally Posted by sbullet View Post
    With mags, is bounce the same as RT,yes or are all these insanely high ROFs you see on videos, just the rt depends, would need to see the videos(one ball pull, one ball release). A classic valve just cannot do this?no I just don't get why hah. So annoying that I can't understand this right away.As mentioned, it has to do with the recharge rate and the way the valve is designed. I really am into that last mag, I just love the look of a capped/chopped valve. So unique.
    Thanks.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    also, because AGD had also helped develop the old Air America regs, many people will reuse the adjuster halves since they do have the same threading. this again, doesn't bob the valve but lets the user take off weight, while still maintaining the stock performance.
    I picked one of these up recently, and I am a bit confused. Please help.

The threading appears close enough on all fronts, except the bore for the regulator piston. I can't get it to drop in, and I don't want to push too hard. Is this normal? Do I just have to "will" it into place?

Also, I don't think I can get the AA reg back screwed flush onto the valve without using a tool. Is this also normal?

And for information I'm trying to get it onto a classic AM valve for a lighter pump mag.

The reason a classic valve can't "RT" has to do with the air flow paths within the valve.

To understand the RT effect, you have to understand how this all works. In BOTH the Xvalve and classic valve, the on/off pin will push and reset the sear, and by mechanical linkage, the trigger. A classic valve on/off pin is exposed to regulated air - meaning it's not getting the full tank pressure (850+). An Xvalve, however is exposed to FULL tank pressure (850+). That's why you see people with the Ninja SHP regulators, the on/off pin is getting 1100 PSI.

Thanks for that Dayspring. I just tried the AA with another reg piston and it's the same problem. It doesn't fit worth a damn.

Anyone out there had a similar experience? Did I just get a defective Vigilante?

UPDATE: I solved my problems, but in a way that would probably make most of you cringe.
    Last edited by zulubravo44; 05-29-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: fixed.