View Poll Results: Do you prefer Drop Forwards or Direct mount ASA.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drop Forward

19 43.18%
  • Direct Mount

25 56.82%

Thread: Do you prefer Drop Forward or Direct mount ?

MOTY3

Do you prefer Drop Forward or Direct mount ?

I am curious to see how many prefer using a drop forward and how many like the direct mounted ASA ?

1. Drop Forward

2. Direct Mount

Should add angled mount. Dropkick for the win

Depends. I don't like the huge drop forwards, but I have a small SP rail that puts the ASA down and forward slightly that I like. Have it on two markers. Also have some that are just rail mount and several directs.

Small drop forward for 68ci bottles (most mags). Direct mount (or reverse mini drop) for 45ci bottles (A1, pumps).

Old spoolers like the FS7/8 and DM~3 where the loader hangs far out front, I'll use a direct mount.

Usually, the combination of bottle, loader, and marker layout pushes me one way or the other.

all mine are direct because i've never held one with a drop and don't want to spend money and not like it.

Depends

I like the position a small drop puts a 68 in, but a direct mount makes a sleeper pneumag easier (or at least more conventional)

id have to vote for direct mount! mags look more compact to me that way but the stiletto drop looks sick!

Offset drop forward. My mags will balance on one finger under the trigger guard when full of paint. Just the way I like it. And it keeps my markers short front to back for me to cram in behind stuff.

Direct mount !

I play with a remote and I don't like the look of the drop forward !

I use a drop on every gun I use. Its just the way I learned and I find it comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

I second that ^ I like drops because it puts your marker closer and its comfy.

I'd prefer a rail above all. That's just me though. Otherwise, a drop-forward.

I don't like my gun in my face when shouldered so I've been using direct mounts. I only use 68/4500 tanks and find it very comfortable for me to hold.

Drop forwards for me!

I used to use drops on everything but recently I've found I like direct mount/rail mount better for my mags. It puts the tank weight further back which makes the "buisness end" feel lighter and quicker to point.

Plus, it's less weight overall. It's a feel thing though, I still have drops on my Orracle and a sniper I have.

I've never liked drop forwards, and I was wedded to CP mini on/off & rail combos until I tried a CP direct mount on/off. Now I can't imagine not using a direct mount on my mags. Just feels a lot more solid. Plus, I'm 6' 2" so even using a 68ci tank with a direct mount is still very compact to me. No need to have my tank under my mag with my facemask smacking the back of the gun.

frankly it depends on the gun.

All my guns either have the Benchmark drop or Nummech T-Rail drop for OOPS. I like the Benchmark the best because you can hand torque the bolt with a thumbscrew, and quick-change it when you're switching your tanks around in front of the TV.

I like where a drop forward puts the tank on my shoulder. I've never been able to get comfortable with a direct mount myself.

I made a downward angled rail several years ago that combines the best of both worlds for me. It mounts the tank at a slight downward angle (opposite of a dropkick), so it puts the butt of the tank right where it would be if I had it on a drop.

I put medium to large drops on everything. I just find it fits me and my style. I even put drops on my mini and axe.

^how do you move the asa/reg to use a drop?
    Thanks,
    Jason

Depends on the marker. Small drop for some, no drop for others. Whatever it takes to get the correct ergonomics.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
    ^how do you move the asa/reg to use a drop?
    Thanks,
    Jason
    A couple of screws gets you inside. The Axetense drop makes it happen.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    poll options lacking? does rail mount count as direct mount?

anyways, it depends on the gun. whatever it takes to get the correct reach and rise is what i use. so far angled asa and rail-mounted asa has worked fine for me and my ninja 68 / 4500.

completely based on ergonomics

due to my somewhat-short arms, I used to put a drop-forward on EVERYTHING due to my 68ci tank. I now only own 50 and 49ci tanks making the markers much, much easier to hold with direct mounts and basically got rid of all of my drops at this point. The only exception is on my CCM pump where I had to add a small reverse-drop, again, due to ergonomics

MOTY3
    OK cool I see that we are split even. Personally I like the look of a small rail or direct mounted asa but I like the more balanced feel of using a drop forward. I havent been able to get used to having all that weight towards the back of the gun myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightG View Post
    completely based on ergonomics

due to my somewhat-short arms, I used to put a drop-forward on EVERYTHING due to my 68ci tank. I now only own 50 and 49ci tanks making the markers much, much easier to hold with direct mounts and basically got rid of all of my drops at this point. The only exception is on my CCM pump where I had to add a small reverse-drop, again, due to ergonomics
    I agree, really depends on the size of tank I'm using.

I like a direct mount on the bottom of the grip frame. It allows you to use the tank as a stock and allows the grip frame to be held without bending your wrist around a tank. This translates into faster movement when shifting the gun from a right hand operation to a left hand operation. It also allows your setup to have less height so that you can lay down behind shallower bunkers without your gun sticking up. When standing and shooting, you can maintain a proper stable shooting platform because your arms are properly spaced from your body, giving you better accuracy because the gun isn't moving around due to your body being tighted up in a ball. Even with the bottle mounted on the bottom of my frame, I still scratch the lens on my goggles on the back of my guns.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner333 View Post
    I am curious to see how many prefer using a drop forward and how many like the direct mounted ASA ?

1. Drop Forward

2. Direct Mount
    yes

Drop with a warp-feed because getting it in and close is amazing, and having the tank father from the bore means you can roll left while keeping the tank on your right shoulder or vice-versa.

Direct for vert feed because it keeps the whole package more compact. I think a drop and a vert feed is too tall.

Best of both worlds? Y/Z grip.