Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Kaye will NOT be at LL

Tom Kaye will NOT be at LL

All,

I am sorry but I can't make Living Legends this year. I know you guys are really planning a blow out and it should be lots of fun.

I can't go because I have been invited by the Chinese government and the national head of paleontology to come over there and study the world famous feathered dinosaurs. See this link for pictures DINOS They are even paying for my trip. This is a HUGE deal for me and the pinnacle of my work in paleontology. Very few professional paleontologists are invited these days because they rightfully want their own scientists to make the discoveries and publish on them.

I have developed a method of using lasers to stimulate fluorescence in fossil bones to make them glow when no other method would. This allows us to see things that are normally hidden. Think of how fluorescing blood stains makes a crime scene suddenly show up even if it has been washed off. I taught a graduate student the technique weeks before she went over to China to study one of the fossil birds. She illuminated a slab that just had bones on it and much to everyone's surprise, the foot pads AND the scales individually fluoresced and suddenly became visible! This was the first time soft tissues like that were discovered in the fossil bird Confuciusornis. We are currently submitting a paper on the discovery to a major scientific journal. If you want to learn more about it you can look over this poster from a few years ago that describes some of what I do. http://tomkaye.com/images/MicroRaptorMysteryZ_lrg.jpg

Once the paleontologists over there saw the results one thing lead to another so I am packing up my lasers and heading half way around the world. I have to leave right at LL so that's why I can't make it. I plan on blogging about it on my facebook page so stand by for TK's globetrotting adventures!

Thanks!

Tom

Congrats Tom!

I all sad and happy for you at the same time

Congrats

Kinda sucks for us but better pack a few extra spoons and forks

And this is why TK is the most interesting man in the world...

Congratulations!

Congrats, china is a very interesting country , I visited there last year

While we'll miss having you there, this is an incredible opportunity! Take lots of pictures (if you can)!

Very cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Billz804 View Post
    Very cool stuff.
    Indeed!

Congratulations, Tom; this is an amazing opportunity!

have a good time over there!

MOTY3
    My 10 yr old son has recently become obsessed with Dinosaurs, Spielberg, Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones. I can't wait to tell him about your upcoming adventure. This will be as cool as having the chance to meet you at LLVII. Congratulations...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkApollo View Post
    pretty much.

congrats tom, your life, and the things you do ... just amazing.

i still owe you lunch, next time, next time.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

WOW!!! Congrats Tom!!! Take it easy, have fun, and post up pics... It's fine that you are missing LL...

DM

That's mind blowing, what gave you the idea for this, or what lead to it?
    Last edited by luke; 04-22-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Okay, when we demanded you be at LL7 or give us a really good excuse, we didn't have something quite this big this in mind, lol! This is huge, I'm happy for you TK. I'll have to meet you some other time.

we will hoist a Diet Coke in your honor then. enjoy a once in a lifetime trip, we will be doing the same old paintball game, where you are looking at soft tissue for the first time...

20. So cool. Enjoy the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkApollo View Post
    Now that is some funny stuff right there! Good luck Tom!
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Tom, this is friggin' awesome! I mean, not the fact that you're missing 'LL' but that you've been invited by the Chinese government and the national head of paleontology! Take lots of pictures, and have fun!

You have to shoot video of someone seeing something that hasn't been seen for a hundred million years for the first time.
    http://dinosaurs.findthebest.com/l/339/Confuciusornis
    Forest Gump of paintball

i'm sure your trip will be much better than when I was sent over for work in 08. small industrial town in middle of no where, probably the most boring 3 weeks I've spent anywhere.

it is definitely an interesting country to visit but I wont be volunteering to go back anytime soon.

good luck and enjoy, just watch what you eat!

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    All,

I am sorry but I can't make Living Legends this year. I know you guys are really planning a blow out and it should be lots of fun.
    whats a few more days they have been bones how long???? how about some autographed pictures i was really hoping to meet the man!!! But best of luck on your dino venture!!

Maybe Tunaball next year ?

Lazers + Dinosaurs > Paintball

Have fun!

Sounds like a blast. I can't wait to see the updates about it.

Btw, I can't wait to explain to people why you couldn't attend the event. It shouldn't surprise anyone at all, but you never know....

Ahh sooo Grasshopper.

Confucius say, "when you go to China, you future soon to be enlightened with laser's".

Can you say TB8 May 2015. You know you want to. TunaMan will be there, and we need to review and discuss your DB Cooper story from TB7, its got questions that need answered.

Be safe and enjoy your adventure in China.

Any updates on this? Some people don't have facebook accounts. Whatever that means...