Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tom Kaye will NOT be at LL

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Any updates on this? Some people don't have facebook accounts. Whatever that means...
    He hasn't posted anything on Facebook - either he's REALLY busy, or they won't let him on a computer with Facebook...

Ok somehow I totally missed this post in April.

Tom. That is flat cool.

He did post a picture of him holding the laser on Facebook, go check it out.

MOTY3
    ^^^this^^^

Well I planned to blog the trip on Facebook but as it turns out FB is blocked in the entire country along with dropbox, parts of google and others. The internet is really shaky here and its hit or miss if you can even get on. I am in the real China, not tourist China. A small town in Shandong with 40,000 people.

This place is off-the-hook crazy. Roster heads and feet in your chicken soup, Y intersections with no stoplights or stop signs, you just plow into oncoming traffic, the 5 star hotel turns off the AC at 9:30pm and not a hamburger to be had in the whole city. No one and I mean no one is fat here. They are building 20 story apartment buildings in clusters with only enough parking for like 30 cars. 10 years ago no one had cars, just bikes and electric motor scooters. Drop 10,000 cars in a town with no cops and no infrastructure and imagine what it would be like. Kids on the back of scooters hang on to dad and mom like a backpack.

The real China is certainly not like what you see on TV. The people are friendly, no one talks politics, there are no suburbs with single family homes and the farmers have no machinery.

Thank god for America, land of excess, evil corporations and rampant capitalism. I will take it all over this alternative.

TK

Wow. Thank you for the insight into another world. I wonder how they deal with road rage.

"Signs? Signs?! We don't need no stinking signs!"

I forgot to warn you to set up a VPN back to your home so you could use the connection in the US.

Did you get to experience a real chinese toilet? For those that don't know, it's a hole in the floor. The nicer ones are porcelain lined holes in the floor.
    Forest Gump of paintball

lol one thing to knock off your bucket list. experience real chinese toilet.

Yep tried to use the "hole in the floor" but none of the three stalls had any toilet paper. Took pics and had to leave with no relief. Thankfully the hotel had normal toilets.

TK

Quote Originally Posted by SeeK View Post
    I forgot to warn you to set up a VPN back to your home so you could use the connection in the US.

Did you get to experience a real chinese toilet? For those that don't know, it's a hole in the floor. The nicer ones are porcelain lined holes in the floor.
    The nicest have nifty foot blocks for your comfort and convenience. Hopefully you are enjoying the food more than the traffic and latrines.

In any case, safe journeys there and back again.
    Last edited by Menace_AO; 05-31-2014 at 07:33 PM.

Wow! I cant wait for his full un censored report on this trip.

Then again. As dignified and business oriented as TK is. I doubt he ever posts that report.

Travel rule #1.... Also carry a roll of toilet paper

the TP was the kettle of water off to the side. You eat with your right hand and wipe/wash with the left.

It's very similar in Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
    the TP was the kettle of water off to the side. You eat with your right hand and wipe/wash with the left.

It's very similar in Africa.
    I thought it was the other way around
    CNC Programmer/Machinist
    Polarstar Engineering and Machine

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Yep tried to use the "hole in the floor" but none of the three stalls had any toilet paper. Took pics and had to leave with no relief. Thankfully the hotel had normal toilets.

TK
    I guess you didn't see the shelf with 3 clam shells on it.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowmitten View Post
    I guess you didn't see the shelf with 3 clam shells on it.
    That's demolition man. Not real life..... I think?

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    That's demolition man. Not real life..... I think?
    Correct :P

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    I thought it was the other way around
    please don't eat out of my food dish...

Or shake my hand.

So - how was the trip? Are you still in China or are you back stateside?

Somehow missed this thread. Congrats Tom, let us know all about the trip when you get back. You never cease to amaze me with the things you do.