I bet you thought this was going to be a pump z-grip. You're wrong. Embarking upon a new project that actually seems to be coming together faster than I thought it would (I better knock on wood). I was about to rid myself of the z body because I will admit it has some feeding problems when you shoot at high ROF... The backspin consistency is much better if you use smaller bore paint, but the cavernous breech has trouble preventing double feeds if you're running hard.
Then I thought of a solution. Why not grab a pump kit from Rainman (excellent and speedy service, btw), and turn it into the first of it's kind (at least as far as I can find)... The Z-body, Z-barrel pump.
There's still some work to do (sending rail and body to luke this week for ULE/pump on the rail and pump on the body) before it's functional. I'm also toying with the idea of getting it powder coated a uniform color, since right now it's a mix of gloss and matte black.
In any case, it looks put together enough to post a first project picture to keep you all duly informed. See below:
wow this looks pretty cool! nice take on the Z body! can't wait to see it annoed.
Everybody else in the family was a little bit jealous, since they're all in working order (except the top one is waiting on some AGD repairs to its usual valve).
Yes, I know it's all quite old fashioned. I like it that way.
Clockwise from top:
woodsball special: RF original body with Q loader, pneu'ed intelli, AM classic valve usually with level 10, diamond labs gas through stock, 16" boomstick
the original: my first automag, painted (I was 14) powerfeed body, pneu-ready intelli, ACI sub zero expansion chamber (like I said, I was 14), 14" boomstick
sydarm: standard sydarm (still needs to be unloaded from the weekend), everything original
the sidekick: PMI trracer with taso barrel
as close as i get to speedball: black teflon powerfeed body, unmilled y grip, super drop forward, random foregrip, 12" boomstick
Nothing anywhere MoTM material, but it's a happy family awaiting the addition of the pump z.
Last edited by zulubravo44; 05-12-2014 at 06:19 PM.
put the small, angled drop off your original mag onto your y-frame mag and that y-frame could be MOTM worthy.
That's a good, healthy family.
That's a nice collection Zulu, I can't believe you even considered selling the Z.
I still can't find your lapco barrel you were selling, so I'm planning to get the stainless steel freak insert cause it goes as large as .697.
When I get some time I'm going to add a QLoader to my Z as well. I add a picture once I have it built.
Right now I'm looking around for local o-ring shops to rebuild my valve cause all the o-rings are gone.
You're right waynedotto. Actually part of the reason I was looking to sell it was because I was getting frustrated with double and triple feeds. Even with a Kila magnetic detent, I was still getting these problems with the small bore paint that is supposedly so good with the z body set up.
Hence I'm turning her to a pump and will focus on trying to work out a premium mid bore paint that works well with the backspin and doesn't double feed. I would be really curious how your experience with a qloaded z body goes.
And for anyone who really cares, here she is ready to go this evening:
It looks quite similar to the previous picture, only now it actually works instead of just being pieced together for testing. Also thanks to laku and athomas for helping to solve a powertube issue.
Last edited by zulubravo44; 05-21-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Reason: add photo; update
You should post an updated pic with the new stock and 13ci tank. That is a nice setup!!
Once I get her cleaned up, I'll post an update pic... Went to Killer in Romulus last night. While it's a fun field, I don't think they've ever cleaned the floor (and it's old carpet that they use as a base for their indoor floors). I had the bright idea of crawling up the snake. You can imagine...
Put an Apex tip on it! It might put enough spin on the ball that it boomerangs and shoots yourself !
Ahhhh, the exuberance of youth!! lol.
Originally Posted by zulubravo44
Completely reconfigured from Z to ULE. At least it rhymes (when you say it).
... and the latest iteration. From the top:
The one legged norse dragon
• x valve with RT on/off
• luke's LPR-FG, mini vert, RTP rail (forgot which one) and OLTR installed inside the mini-vert
• XMT's CF RT body (I know, it's not an RT)
• deadlywind fibur 14"
• custom designed (by me) and fabricated/laser engraved (by pbalien87 on MCB) walnut grips
the pump formerly known as Z
• AGD-style pump kit
• my original aluminum t-stock that I got with my first mag in '97
• my original valve from my original mag
• pbalien87 designed and fabricated norse dog grips
• J&J ceramic barrel (14" I think)
• not pictured: KNM's snap-on stock class converter with CCI 12 rd feed tube
• VL FG
• micromag valve (from the failed $50 micromag project) with KAPP velo. lock, LVL 10, RT on/off
• luke's argo trigger on intelliframe, with old style smart parts grips
• 10" deadlywind CF barrel
I guess there's been quite an evolution in the family since two years ago.
• paint is too small these days for the z body to work reliably, particularly since the breach appears to be quite wide. Even as a pump, it was a double feeding, no backspinning wreck.
• pneuframes are fun to tinker with, but if you want reliability it's better to go with either hiring a seasoned expert or going with Luke's gear... the OLTR makes jaws drop with its ROF, especially in the absence of blinking lights and batteries
• speaking of reliability, nothing beats a mag
• don't try to ano micromag bodies. it just isn't worth the hassle.
• q loaders are an acquired taste, without a doubt. try one before you invest in the set up
• i get much better accuracy results on the pump by using a normal barrel (i.e. J&J) than something that is freak bored. it might just be psychological though
Shout outs and thank yous:
• luke, for brilliance
• AGD (& crew) for underlying brilliance
• OPBN for advice, help, parts and trades
Last edited by zulubravo44; 07-01-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Tags for this Thread