Thread: Stoopid question about an Autococker

Stoopid question about an Autococker

I noticed a pump autococker listed on craigslist near me. It looks like a 99 cocker to me (side feed). It comes with a few pods, a belt and 2 Co2 tanks. I know very little about cockers. This one does not come with a vertical regulator. The duck bill ASA attaches to the vertical adapter via a macro line. Now, this is where the stoopid question comes in; isn't a regulator needed to control velocity? I considered that the guy may have used a tank with an adjustable reg but then why does it come with Co2 tanks? The price on this is low enough that it seems like a no-brainer to me but my lack of experience with cockers has me questioning getting it. I know vertical regs are fairly cheap. Thoughts?

The sniper II pumps and autocockers have a hammer that hits a poppet and releases the compressed air or CO2. It fires just fine when using any direct air source as long as that air source is consistent. An inline regulator just guarantees that the pressure is always constant and makes the shot to shot consistency better. Without the regulated input air, the velocity will go down as you deplete an air tank or as CO2 pressures fluctuate with temperature. If the temperature stays consistent during the day, CO2 pressure also stays very consistent and predictable.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

There is a velocity adjustment on the rear of the bottom tube called the IVG.
    A lot of us used direct air into the vasa back in the day.

A reg is really only necessary/used for velocity adjustment in LP setups. Before we did LP, we did all our adjustment with the IVG and spring kits.

This sounds like a mini cocker. It is just the model, not a mechanical difference from a stockcocker. Now you can adjust velocity through the IVG, as stated above. You would be adjusting the spring tension on the hammer to increase and decrease velocity. You can put a reg directly in where the hose would go(a Palmer stab can go there directly) or get a mini cocker vert and run a regular HPR.

I messaged the owner but haven't heard back yet. If I end up getting it I'll post some pics and may have more questions. Thanks for the help.