Thread: My First Automag (Questions)

My First Automag (Questions)

Ever since I have seen these two images, I have been infatuated with this automag. It makes me want one!

Name:  Q2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  Q3.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  52.7 KB

I have done research. I have learned about the classic 68 automag (the marker that seems to be in the image). I have searched online stores for the pieces needed for this construction, but I still have questions.

It is my understanding that when using HPA I will not need an expansion chamber, but if I wanted to add one for aesthetic purposes, would I lose performance? I am not sure how I feel yet about the hose looping out.

I don't necessarily need to be shooting ropes, fast as I can pull a two finger trigger is fast enough. Should I consider upgrading the valve and or bolt(lvl10) anyways?

Do any of you use a q-loader on your automag? Do you have issues? I have read on the q-loader as well and know how it works and it's issues. I'm being specific about q-loader/automag relations.

Originally I was intrigued by look of the automag. After research, it seems there is no better mechanical marker to attempt this project on. Tons of reviews on its reliability. This pleases me.

I thank you in advance for your opinions, comments, and help on this matter. I am anxious to join the family, but I just need some direction.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroWeasel View Post
    It is my understanding that when using HPA I will not need an expansion chamber, but if I wanted to add one for aesthetic purposes, would I lose performance? I am not sure how I feel yet about the hose looping out. you could run a gas thru grip with no performance difference, and most likely an expansion chamber (if there was one you really liked or something) wouldn't affect performance at all either. So yeah, go nuts.

I don't necessarily need to be shooting ropes, fast as I can pull a two finger trigger is fast enough. Should I consider upgrading the valve and or bolt(lvl10) anyways? I'd recommend a lvl10 bolt on any mag that you are planning to regularly use. It's probably the best paintball upgrade I can think of. I wouldn't go nuts upgrading valves, just start with the one you want. If you want cheaper, go classic valve. Higher performance, go x or retro valve.

Do any of you use a q-loader on your automag? Do you have issues? I have read on the q-loader as well and know how it works and it's issues. I'm being specific about q-loader/automag relations. never tried one, sorry

Originally I was intrigued by look of the automag. After research, it seems there is no better mechanical marker to attempt this project on. Tons of reviews on its reliability. This pleases me. Yep they sure are awesome!

I thank you in advance for your opinions, comments, and help on this matter. I am anxious to join the family, but I just need some direction.
    Answers in red. Good luck!

In the above pic you have the following:

Looks to be a ULE body warp fed left for the Q-loader.
    x-valve
    intelliframe
    front gas-thru grip

Answers to your questions:

Automags do not need expansion chambers. Don't use one with HPA, and don't use CO2 at all. You can easily get a gas-thru grip that you can run lines to so you don't have the big macro loop.

The above valve is an x-valve. It is not a classic valve. A classic valve will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. An x-valve can "bounce" the trigger and actually shoot 15+ BPS if you set things up correctly (need a RT Pro+ valve, and 800+ psi output reg on your tank). I would not suggest getting a lvl 10 kit for a classic valve, but if you are going to get an RT pro, emag or x-valve they usually come with one.

I don't use a q-loader, but I have seen quite a bit of people using them. I can't help you out with the performance of those. Most of the q-loader setups have a warp feed on them as well. Not sure if you need one in the above setup or not.

Automags are simply designed, easy to work on, and easy to tune to perfection. Let me know if you have any further questions.
    I buy and sell mag parts..
    AO Feedback +20/-0

I had not even considered a gas-thru grip. Thank you both for that. A quick google search tells me no company makes these. A bit scary that I would have to do it homemade, but not put off just yet.
    *edit* Name:  CopyofP1010591.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  25.2 KB Something like this actually seems easy to do and works for me visually.

I had looked at the RT and the trigger bouncing, but disregarded it. Is it an easy upgrade should I change my mind?
    Last edited by PyroWeasel; 06-10-2014 at 04:40 PM.

You can find gas-thru grips all over this forum. They are easy to find and you can usually pick up one you like for $20 shipped.

If you are going to go balls to the wall, then hell yes, get an RT Pro valve or an Emag valve or an X-valve. There really isn't all that much you have to do besides have a tank that outputs 800+psi and it will shoot fast for you. I would recommend getting an ninja tank with an 1100 psi output reg. They are great tanks/regs and ninja's customer service is top notch.

If you are going to go small at first, then go out and buy a classic mag for $100 and play with that for awhile and see if you like it.

It's a matter of yanking the valve out and putting the new one in. And keep in mind, not ALL RT based valves will bounce. It requires a little assistance (modifying tolerances of on/off pin, trigger rod adjustment or a higher tank output pressure over 800 PSI).

My RT based valves NEVER bounced. Would it recharge fast and push my trigger out fast? Yes. Bounce? Never.

MOTY3
    I think by gas through grip they mean gas through fore grip not necessarily gas through grip frame, one of these would eliminate the hose loop you are not fond of.

Do any of you use a q-loader on your automag? Do you have issues? I have read on the q-loader as well and know how it works and it's issues. I'm being specific about q-loader/automag relations.
    I'm running a similar setup on one of my mags. I haven't run into any problems that are specific to Automag Qloader combinations. Just the standard Qloader related issues, and a couple issues with my specific setup.

I just recently played the entire weekend of Supergame with this..

I encountered some minor feeding issues that I believe were being caused by the elbows I used in my feed tube setup. Nothing that was a game stopper, just minor inconvenience on the field. I highly recommend going with a Level 10 bolt if you are going to try a Qloader. There were several times it saved me from chops caused by feed issues. All in all, I made it through Supergame without using a hopper fed gun once, and without a single broken or chopped ball. I still have a few bugs to work out, but the results so far are very encouraging.

The standard advice of "don't buy a Qloader unless you LOVE to tinker" holds true in the Automag world as well though.

I would also recommend that you take a hopper fed gun to the field with you as a backup. Many times I've found that a particular setup work wonders in the back yard, and then craps the bed as soon as you get onto the field. It's nice to have something to play with when this happens.

For upgrade purposes... the 68 classic and the mini are essentially the same marker correct? I should be fine with either?

Correct.

Here is my Qloader set up

And a friends

Time to bring this thread back to life. I have regained interest in my automag. I got a 68 custom. I put a ULE body on it an a gas through grip.

My next upgrade is the trigger frame. My questions as followed. I want a double trigger, so any question below is pertaining to that.

1. I have read that the benchmark triggers cannot be changed as there are no triggers other than benchmark ones to fit it. True?
    2. Are there other benchmark made triggers?
    3. I read about a possibility that there are some autococker frames that might fit ADG rails. True?
    4. Are there rails I can get that will accomplish this?

My next idea was to put the invert mini/axe asa on said frame and go internal with my lines.
    5. Is it possible? Has it been done?
    6. Should I not do it?

Thanks again for your guys help. This forum has been very helpful and kind.

Time to bring this thread back to life. I have regained interest in my automag. I got a 68 custom. I put a ULE body on it an a gas through grip.

My next upgrade is the trigger frame. My questions as followed. I want a double trigger, so any question below is pertaining to that.

1. I have read that the benchmark triggers cannot be changed as there are no triggers other than benchmark ones to fit it. True?
    Unless the frame has been gutted, it should come with a trigger. If not, then PTP should still have some for sale.

2. Are there other benchmark made triggers?
    Not that i am aware of. Honestly, i do not care for Benchmark frames. I do prefer AGD Intelliframes

3. I read about a possibility that there are some autococker frames that might fit ADG rails. True?
    It can be done, but i do not know what it intells. In reality, as long as you have something pushing the trigger, and can be mounted, you can fit anything with a little massaging. For years people have used Angel frames and anything else they like.

4. Are there rails I can get that will accomplish this?
    The rails are pretty much there. You don't change the rail, as you adjust the frame to fit. Not quite sure what you meant.

My next idea was to put the invert mini/axe asa on said frame and go internal with my lines.
    5. Is it possible? Has it been done?
    6. Should I not do it?
    No, it won't work. Mags need high pressure. At minimum, you need about 650psi into a classic valve for it to work to velocity. Anything less and it just won't fire. You could run internal lines, but you would need to drill the valve and that is difficult to say the least.

Name:  CopyofP1010591.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  25.2 KB Something like this actually seems easy to do and works for me visually.
    I wouldn't have to drill the valve if I did something similar to this. So are there other ASAs that I can use that still have the hoses going up into the grip? Just like any macroless markers.

Please excuse my lack of technical terms.

I wouldn't have to drill the valve if I did something similar to this. So are there other ASAs that I can use that still have the hoses going up into the grip? Just like any macroless markers.

Please excuse my lack of technical terms.
    Sure, you can take a CP direct mount, have someone like Luke, drill it for a 1/8th NPT, and go with that. That will give you the hidden air line. Then you can either route the airline back into the frame, like in the pic shown, or plug the input, and have the bottom of the valve drilled, so the airline could be totally hidden. That is all up to you and how you wish to go about it. Flatliner333 did a macroless gun. You can ask him how to go about it.

Though, this is one point on not doing macroless. With it hidden or like in the pic, it makes taking out the valve a real choir. Whether its to change a powertube oring, adjust a L10, adjust a on/off or ULT, or just to clean a break. Its your gun, so go forth with how you want it. I see the technical aspects of it being outweighed by the utilitarian aspects of the airline.

Ah you make good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I'm running a similar setup on one of my mags. I haven't run into any problems that are specific to Automag Qloader combinations. Just the standard Qloader related issues, and a couple issues with my specific setup.

I just recently played the entire weekend of Supergame with this..

I encountered some minor feeding issues that I believe were being caused by the elbows I used in my feed tube setup. Nothing that was a game stopper, just minor inconvenience on the field. I highly recommend going with a Level 10 bolt if you are going to try a Qloader. There were several times it saved me from chops caused by feed issues. All in all, I made it through Supergame without using a hopper fed gun once, and without a single broken or chopped ball. I still have a few bugs to work out, but the results so far are very encouraging.

The standard advice of "don't buy a Qloader unless you LOVE to tinker" holds true in the Automag world as well though.

I would also recommend that you take a hopper fed gun to the field with you as a backup. Many times I've found that a particular setup work wonders in the back yard, and then craps the bed as soon as you get onto the field. It's nice to have something to play with when this happens.
    Love the mounting bracket for the Q-loader, is that a standard thing or custom?
    Warp Feed Evangelist
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Love the mounting bracket for the Q-loader, is that a standard thing or custom?
    The bracket is the one that comes with Qloader's custom mounting socket. I just cut down the length and extended the slot to get the socket hugged up to the foregrip.